Intel NUC 12, the future of consoles

Yesterday, Intel announced the NUC12. A small form factor PC with high end specs and Intel discrete graphics onboard.

Systems like this running SteamOS will effectively create a 4th major player in the living room. You have Intel and AMD both strongly supporting Linux, and both competing with compatible CPU+GPU chipsets. Intel is coming forward with their own kit, but 3rd party vendors will also be competing for all different build concerns (price, performance, cooling, aesthetics, acoustics...). In a short time, there will be extremely affordable set top PCs as a great entrypoint for gaming.

All that's missing is a new Steam Controller...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-nuc-12-enthusiast-delivers-powerful-mini-pc.html#gs.d1iash

20220920_194737.jpg

Edited by sugarhigh

:D both of you keep dreaming.

If steamos ever even remotely came close to threatening windows in the gaming space you will see some old school Microsoft at play in how far they go to completely bury the thing. Fuck they just paid close to $70 billion to keep CoD off playstation because they were getting bodied by Sony, and it was nothing to them.

Mini PCs are great but I'd still like to see exactly how they hold up in the era of 4k gaming.

Most gamers will probably stick with consoles, and pc gamers will opt for the full pc + monitor combo. I personally dont think mini pcs are about to take over. :shrug: Even if they did pick up I think most vendors will continue to install winblows by default.

4 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

If steamos ever even remotely came close to threatening windows in the gaming space you will see some old school Microsoft at play in how far they go to completely bury the thing. Fuck they just paid close to $70 billion to keep CoD off playstation because they were getting bodied by Sony, and it was nothing to them.

Mini PCs are great but I'd still like to see exactly how they hold up in the era of 4k gaming.

Most gamers will probably stick with consoles, and pc gamers will opt for the full pc + monitor combo. I personally dont think mini pcs are about to take over. :shrug: Even if they did pick up I think most vendors will continue to install winblows by default.

Nobody here thinks this shit is taking over :Jeff:

Consoles are going to die out on their own... no need to kill them :geese: 

Maybe that could have an effect, and potentially be the equivalent of a gaming console "VCR" that is built by multiple companies.

You see, the reason Steam PC was a complete joke, is because Steam has no experience in something that Intel has always done.

Intel can bring in partners in manufacturing, and get those products into brick and mortar stores, and market it.

With Steam, they won't do shit.

So, it all depends in the manufacturers can agree on a universal OS, and the game developers can develop and support that OS.

Alot of things would have to happen, but Best Buy and Walmart don't stock Dells or Hewlett-Packard PCs anymore, but this could be a potential area in which they could start up again.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

I know what you mean but MS teams are some of the most proactive Deck supporters. 343 opened up Halo Infinite's anticheat and says they're going to do the same for MCC .

It seems like maybe MS just wants another place to sell Gamepass.

48 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Maybe that could have an effect, and potentially be the equivalent of a gaming console "VCR" that is built by multiple companies.

You see, the reason Steam PC was a complete joke, is because Steam has no experience in something that Intel has always done.

Intel can bring in partners in manufacturing, and get those products into brick and mortar stores, and market it.

With Steam, they won't do shit.

So, it all depends in the manufacturers can agree on a universal OS, and the game developers can develop and support that OS.

Alot of things would have to happen, but Best Buy and Walmart don't stock Dells or Hewlett-Packard PCs anymore, but this could be a potential area in which they could start up again.

Imo the Steam PC was a joke #1 because it didn't play any games. The hardware was a factor too, but a distant #2.

What makes SteamOS better than the VCR is that your library doesn't get outdated. You don't have to rebuy the DVD and Blu-ray and 4k versions. I'm playing Vanquish now and it looks way better than my PS3 copy. This is not news to PC players but making the unrivaled PC catalog accessible to console gamers is a big deal.

Also a tricky thing is the "universal os" is Windows and Dx, which is already agreed on. Supporting SteamOS means mostly not doing dumb shit with runtime launchers and enabling anticheat. In the near future, there will not be tons of native Linux ports. A more plausible boost would be devs adopting Vulkan over DX12.

Edited by sugarhigh
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Imo the Steam PC was a joke #1 because it didn't play any games. The hardware was a factor too, but a distant #2.

What makes SteamOS better than the VCR is that your library doesn't get outdated. You don't have to rebuy the DVD and Blu-ray and 4k vversions like I'm playing Vanquish now and it looks way better than my PS3 copy.

Also a tricky thing is the "universal os" is Windows and Dx, which is already agreed on. Supporting SteamOS means mostly not doing dumb shit with runtime launchers and enabling anticheat. In the near future, there will not be tons of native Linux ports. A more plausible boost would be devs adopting Vulkan over DX12.

LOL Steam Boxes didn't have any proton support.. you couldn't play fuck all on it but some linux games...

SteamOS is a completely different beast now.

lmfao people blaming it on hardware and manufacturers.. :tom: 

Edited by Remij
32 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

What makes SteamOS better than the VCR is that your library doesn't get outdated. You don't have to rebuy the DVD and Blu-ray and 4k versions. I'm playing Vanquish now and it looks way better than my PS3 copy. This is not news to PC players but making the unrivaled PC catalog accessible to console gamers is a big deal.

Nobody is going to agree with Steam OS

Because nobody is going to declare Steam and Valve to be the one who holds the credit card information on file, and issue payment to the publishers.

They can do that with indie developers, but if you bring in Intel, and Dell, and Hewlett Packard...............nuh uh.......that shit ain't flying for a second.

20 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Nobody is going to agree with Steam OS

Because nobody is going to declare Steam and Valve to be the one who holds the credit card information on file, and issue payment to the publishers.

They can do that with indie developers, but if you bring in Intel, and Dell, and Hewlett Packard...............nuh uh.......that shit ain't flying for a second.

What.. the fuck.. are you talking about? :cosby2: 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'm having a conversation with somebody right now, somebody who is capable of responding without making crying noises.

No.. what are you talking about?

You're talking about Intel and other manufacturers not "agreeing" with SteamOS... and not declaring that "Steam and Valve hold the credit card information and pay the publishers"....

LMFAO are you dumb as fuck? :cosby2: 

Steam and Valve DO handle all the transactions which happen on their platform....   Intel, Dell, Hewlett Packard.... they wouldn't be entering the video game market IDIOT.  They'd sell the hardware as is.. and that's it.  They would manufacture the box... and sell it for a profit.  They're not handling game sales :lemming: 

Oh my fucking GOD :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: 

Edited by Remij
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Remij said:

No.. what are you talking about?

You're talking about Intel and other manufacturers "agreeing" with SteamOS... and declare that "Steam and Valve hold the credit card information and pay the publishers"....

LMFAO are you dumb as fuck? :cosby2: 

Steam and Valve DO handle all the transactions which happen on their platform....   Intel, Dell, Hewlett Packard.... they wouldn't be entering the video game market IDIOT.  They'd sell the hardware as is.. and that's it.  They would manufacture the box... and sell it for a profit.  They're not handling game sales :lemming: 

Oh my fucking GOD :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: 

Look at him crying and melting down.

So, Intel, Dell, HP all risk the investment of hardware, distribution, marketing.................just so that they can give Steam ownership of the OS and the credit card payment system within the hardware :lawl:

Just now, jehurey said:

Look at him crying and melting down.

So, Intel, Dell, HP all risk the investment of hardware, distribution, marketing.................just so that they can give Steam ownership of the OS and the credit card payment system within the hardware :lawl:

Yes... are you retarded?  They literally do that with EVERY PC THEY MAKE... :cosby2: 

Any games bought in Steam go through Valve dummy...  If they made a cheap "console like" box... and put SteamOS on it (instead of Windows because Windows costs money) to sell it to gamers.... they would market the hardware to gamers as such.

They aren't selling games and scraping money off every sale LOL... oh lord :tom: 

Just now, Remij said:

Yes... are you retarded?  They literally do that with EVERY PC THEY MAKE... :cosby2: 

because windows helps subsidize, or PAY THEM for including windows in their PC

you see Valve doing that, anytime soon?

That's what I thought

Dumbass doesn't even know how this worked during the 90's

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

because windows helps subsidize, or PAY THEM for including windows in their PC

you see Valve doing that, anytime soon?

That's what I thought

Dumbass doesn't even know how this worked during the 90's

OMFG you're an idiot... and I'm truly laughing at you for posting this in an attempt to respond :tom: 

• aitch 1
Just now, Remij said:

OMFG you're an idiot... and I'm truly laughing at you for posting this in an attempt to respond :tom: 

i know you don't have anything to say.

the other, better analogy, would be how Amazon Fire and Roku hardware exists.

You don't see third party hardware manufacturers selling the hardware just so that it runs Roku OS, or Amazon Fire OS and they own the credit card system.

LOL he really thought he found something here.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

i know you don't have anything to say.

the other, better analogy, would be how Amazon Fire and Roku hardware exists.

You don't see third party hardware manufacturers selling the hardware just so that it runs Roku OS, or Amazon Fire OS and they own the credit card system.

LOL he really thought he found something here.

You think MS is paying Intel to ship Windows with their computers.... LMFAO! :lawl: 

Intel factors the price that they pay to MS into the cost of the device they are selling.  They ONLY make money on the hardware... oh my god you're fucking dumb. :ovolol: 

• Upvote 1
Just now, jehurey said:

LOL he doesn't know who the OEM manufacturer was during the Windows PC heydays :drake:

he thinks Intel was an OEM:tom:

LOL he's still trying to bullshit his way through something he doesn't know fuck all about:lawl: 

Holy shit this is hilarious :omglol: