The Ayaneo Air looks like a better portable gaming PC than the Steam Deck

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Vampire Survivors is basically a $4 SNES game. One of the first games I plan on using the Aya for will be Trails of Zero, which is a much more substantial game that still works very well on a handheld.

edit: Ill admit you have a point because I am technically backtracking in a sense.....so ill accept that i've been half owned, but no more than that :mjpls:

No, those were some Jerry levels of hypocrisy. Jerrocrisy as we call it.

3/4 owned and we will call it a deal.

• Haha 2
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's already having buyer's remorse for his Gayaneo Airhead.  

Its his own fault, look at this shit.     "These devices are only for indies" he tells us, then he chooses Days Gone and Cyberpunk as the first games he installs You can't make this

I might be going through a mid life crisis already but I just bought this shit  I've never had one of these devices so I think this would be fun to mess around with, and like I said in the other threa

Posted Images

I thought getting this shit would be a shortcut to avoiding a huge of queue of orders like with the steam deck but they're having the same holdups with manufacturing and shit :meh: They're shipping out small batches little by little and it might be a month or even 2 before I get mine.

• dead 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I thought getting this shit would be a shortcut to avoiding a huge of queue of orders like with the steam deck but they're having the same holdups with manufacturing and shit :meh: They're shipping out small batches little by little and it might be a month or even 2 before I get mine.

Valve are manufacturing more Decks now than at launch.  Times are moving up... but it just goes to show there's quite a bit of demand for this portable PC form factor.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I ordered a Deck on the 21st, a few days back on the 29th I was asked to complete the order. Those Steamdeck waiting periods really came down.  :sass1:

I came across this article and its interesting. It seems that games will generally run a bit better on Windows when installed on the Deck vs the custom Steam OS it comes with

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-steam-deck-performance-testing#:~:text=The delta was the largest on the "Favor,three-frame difference)%2C but Windows always came out ahead.

It seems that a standard Windows OS is still the way to go for these kind of devices if you want to maximize the performance you'll get in games.

33 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I came across this article and its interesting. It seems that games will generally run a bit better on Windows when installed on the Deck vs the custom Steam OS it comes with

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-steam-deck-performance-testing#:~:text=The delta was the largest on the "Favor,three-frame difference)%2C but Windows always came out ahead.

It seems that a standard Windows OS is still the way to go for these kind of devices if you want to maximize the performance you'll get in games.

Nah.  Valve is nailing the usability and ease of functionality of the device.. which is more important than ~5 FPS...and hell that article is from March... The Steam Deck has improved leaps and bounds since that time.

You lose the ability to control the refresh rate of the display, as well as Steams awesome FPS limiter... among a ton of other things now.

It's not even a question.. if you have a Steam Deck... use SteamOS... and dual boot into windows if you must for a certain game.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Windows 10 is bad enough on desktop :kaz: The fuck I'm installing it on a handheld.

Reading that article some games appear to run better on SteamOS, games that aren't even native. Like Lemij says it's pointless to lose everything that makes SteamOS good for the sake of a few games having a small framrate increase.

The only reason to install windows would be if you really wanted a handheld PC but mostly for games that use anticheat, or you mostly play via other launchers like EGS or Origin. Basically someone like you who is going to get it and jump on Battlefield and Destiny most of the time.

Windows is a terrible fit. Thats why Ayaneo is moving towards rheir own Linux os too. Hopefully the success of these consoles forces companies like Epic, EA, Ubisoft to have official support. That would be the better option as it woulf make the handheld PC market much easier, rather than trying to force windows to fit.

• aitch 1
5 hours ago, Remij said:

Nah.  Valve is nailing the usability and ease of functionality of the device.. which is more important than ~5 FPS...and hell that article is from March... The Steam Deck has improved leaps and bounds since that time.

You lose the ability to control the refresh rate of the display, as well as Steams awesome FPS limiter... among a ton of other things now.

It's not even a question.. if you have a Steam Deck... use SteamOS... and dual boot into windows if you must for a certain game.

5 FPS is the difference between 25 and a stable 30. On this type of handheld device every frame matters, and I would personally prefer a better framerate over a few accessibility features that probably have little impact.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys weren't kidding, windows 11 blows on this thing. I wasted so much time fumbling trying to get it to work like I wanted to. It was my first time using Windows 11 but still, I don't think WIndows 10 would have worked any better. A custom OS seems like it might be essential for this kind of system.

The device itself feels pretty good & high quality overall. I was worried since its a completely chinese product but it doesn't feel cheap at all. Analog sticks, buttons, and triggers feel good, and its comfortable to hold as well.

Despite being a bit thicker its smaller than the Switch overall and weighs about the same.

The screen is incredibly sharp and definitely seems to be the highlight so far. It looks a bit too small when you first mess with it, but thats mainly because of how Windows 11 is scaled down on it. There's just too much going on for a screen of this size at 1080p.

Im sure it fairs better for games, trying to get a few downloaded at the moment, starting with the first Plague Tale. Very curious to see what the performance and overall visual fidelity will be like.

Just now, Twinblade said:

you guys weren't kidding, windows 11 blows on this thing. I wasted so much time fumbling trying to get it to work like I wanted to. It was my first time using Windows 11 but still, I don't think WIndows 10 would have worked any better. A custom OS seems like it might be essential for this kind of system.

The device itself feels pretty good & high quality overall. I was worried since its a completely chinese product but it doesn't feel cheap at all. Analog sticks, buttons, and triggers feel good, and its comfortable to hold as well.

Despite being a bit thicker its smaller than the Switch overall and weighs about the same.

The screen is incredibly sharp and definitely seems to be the highlight so far. It looks a bit too small when you first mess with it, but thats mainly because of how Windows 11 is scaled down on it. There's just too much going on for a screen of this size at 1080p.

Im sure it fairs better for games, trying to get a few downloaded at the moment, starting with the first Plague Tale. Very curious to see what the performance and overall visual fidelity will be like.

post some pics of the game running on it. what are the specs of your device?

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Next time you should just listen breh :francis: 

Hopefully the games run well enough for you.  Deck keeps getting better and better :love: 

• Geese 1
  • aitch 1
Just now, Remij said:

Next time you should just listen breh :francis: 

Hopefully the games run well enough for you.  Deck keeps getting better and better :love: 

the deck is pretty incredible. i'm so close to pulling the trigger.

19 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

post some pics of the game running on it. what are the specs of your device?

I know nothing about these components tbh

but the CPU is a AMD Ryzen 5 5560U and the GPU is AMD Radeon RX Vega 6 with 6 compute units and a speed of 1600 Mhz

it also has 16gb of ram, the base version only has 8 but I went with the upgraded one

Anyway here are some pics but my phone camera doesn't do it justice. The colors pop way more in person

455645645.jpg.46f96b8aa86e633817e0d3a2d2561b6d.jpg

dfgdgdfgd.jpg.99182d6a7030fe8d403f17a64a653d8e.jpg

d575uj6tj.jpg.65b811ad28513a892a8981cca66e349c.jpg

A cool feature of this thing is that you can change the power usage of the CPU/GPU to get better performance, almost like overclocking on a desktop. My framerate was actually very choppy but I changed the usage from 8w to 12w and it immediately improved it. Of course the trade off is that the battery doesn't last as long, so you have to figure out what the best setting is for the game you're playing. I imagine if you're playing a less demanding game (like a 2D indie) you can just leave it at 8w to maximize the battery life

5856856858.jpg.382de22718898dc9d75fde273e1d5ea2.jpg

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

the deck is pretty incredible. i'm so close to pulling the trigger.

It's a VERY good device for the price, compared to the competition.

Like I said... it still has a way to go with regards to compatibility... so it's important to be mindful of what currently works and what doesn't... but if you are, and you understand that the device will grow better and better over time.. then there's literally no match.  And for the compatibility issues, you literally can just dual boot Windows anyway.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Bill Gates Oops GIF by CBS News

No shit it sucks :lul: 10 would have probably been worse, buggy pile of shit with those long ass updates at inconvenient times.

Ayaneo themselves said its no good. The good news however is that whenever Ayaneo OS comes out you should hopefully be able to just install it on there.

Linux is really the best option. Building your own os is unfeasible, using windows isn't suitable, creating your own Linux distro and tapping into the wide variety of software available for the platform is a no brainer. Linux is great but admittedly it hasn't had as much software support for gaming as Windows, but its why I was saying its probably best to stick it out despite some software incompatibility rather than switch to windows - because if everyone sticks with windows we end up in the same situation as now but if we stick it out as Linux gaming grows the compatibility will grow thus taking care of the problem.

And from a business perspective it makes a lot of sense. Any company like Valve would want control over the os running on their devices, making a device but allowing a competitor to have complete control over the os on that device is absolutely retarded lol I wish Ayaneo the best of look with their distro :juggle:

5 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Check out HoloISO. It seems to be a decent copy of SteamOS until Valve releases the real thing. I'm gonna put it on my desktop this weekend.

https://github.com/theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso

40 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Days Gone doesn't look or run good on this thing. Im hoping FSR will be supported in more newer games as it seems that it might be a necessity for playing demanding games on this.

Is there a 30 day return policy? Just in case…

39 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Days Gone doesn't look or run good on this thing. Im hoping FSR will be supported in more newer games as it seems that it might be a necessity for playing demanding games on this.

That's weird. It looks and runs good on Steam Deck, the inferior gaming PC.