Japan is potentially the biggest growth market for PC, Steam Deck pre-orders exceeding expectations

This was posted on GAF, but it's in Japanese so you'll have to use a translator.

https://automaton-media.com/articles/interviewsjp/20220926-220505/

Copied from GAF:

Steam Deck reservation in Japan exceeds expectation

Mr. Uy:
I can't tell you the specific numbers, but it's going well so far. It's better than originally expected.
Mr. Peterson:
There is no doubt that home game consoles are dominant in Japan, but the size of the PC game market is probably bigger than you think. It is in the top 10 in the world in terms of market size, and in terms of growth rate, it is even the best potential in the world. That's how fast the Japanese PC gaming scene is growing now. This is the first reason.
The second reason is that Japan is the hometown of portable game consoles. Portable gaming was born in Japan and has been a concept that has flown to the world. It is a natural idea for us to deliver the Steam Deck, which is the forerunner of portable PC gaming devices, to everyone in Japan, which is the origin of portable gaming.
Mr. Yang:
I'll still be on the Steam Deck for a while. There are a lot of challenges, especially on the software side and SteamOS, so we will need to improve them. There are also minor improvements on the hardware side as well. I'm thinking little by little about the next project of Steam Deck, but it will be a long way off.

Good to see things are going well for them there.  Japanese developers have embraced PC gaming, and the Steam Deck could be the right product to help the Japanese gaming community embrace it as well. :aitch:

• Remij changed the title to Japan is potentially the biggest growth market for PC, Steam Deck pre-orders exceeding expectations

I figured it can't be that bad there with the explosion of Japanese ports coming to PC starting last gen.

Slightly off topic but you can now modify the start up animation for steam deck.

https://imgur.com/XvQOnot

I want to see one that pops up with "TSHBO" :lul:

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Its definitely going to be a waste of money but i've decided to get the Ayaneo Air :ben: Im not going to focus on playing super demanding games and I like how its built around portability first.

Well damn I never expected you to buy one I thought it was just bitching. :D

I don't see the need to put any of the systems down. As this market grows its cool that there is choice, Steamdeck for the best overrall value, ayaneo air for portabillity, ayaneo pro for premium hardware etc its not that any suck its just picking whats right for you. 

I'm going to go with Steamdeck but I look forward to seeing what Ayaneo does with their own OS :spincool:

• Upvote 2

When this thing is really popping we won't need Valve hardware. The Steam Deck is more like a model for others to copy.

The ayaneo looks pretty great, but Id be frustrated that it's $1k and already underpowered for some AAA games. And most of all, I don't think Windows can deliver a good experience in this form factor. It's even weirder that Aya/GPD/Odin don't copy Valve's touch pads, which might make it a little more manageable.