Google officially shutting down Stadia

I hate to say the Google graveyard folks were right, but damn if this wasn't a shitty effort all around. It's wild how quickly Google gave up after failing to get traction out the gate.  Even with a perfect rollout, you have to be willing to lose a ton of money to break into gaming. Just look at Xbox.

I still think they made mostly the right consumer choices even tho many ppl expected a netflix-style buffet subscription.

Interesting that they're refunding ALL hardware purchases. I was an early adopter so it sounds like I'll be getting some money back.

29 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I hate to say the Google graveyard folks were right, but damn if this wasn't a shitty effort all around. It's wild how quickly Google gave up after failing to get traction out the gate.  Even with a perfect rollout, you have to be willing to lose a ton of money to break into gaming. Just look at Xbox.

I still think they made mostly the right consumer choices even tho many ppl expected a netflix-style buffet subscription.

Interesting that they're refunding ALL hardware purchases. I was an early adopter so it sounds like I'll be getting some money back.

They're refunding all hardware AND software purchases. That must be a sizeable chunk of money that they're going to be losing.

I never understood why they didn't do what they originally advertise.

Like, they showed how you could see a person playing a game on a youtube channel, and then you could pause the video, and then "buy" the game and start playing the game from that very spot that you saw the youtuber playing it.

Why didn't they sponsor tons of youtube gamers to do this? are they not aware how many kids sit there and watch gameplay videos on youtube?

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I never understood why they didn't do what they originally advertise.

Like, they showed how you could see a person playing a game on a youtube channel, and then you could pause the video, and then "buy" the game and start playing the game from that very spot that you saw the youtuber playing it.

Why didn't they sponsor tons of youtube gamers to do this? are they not aware how many kids sit there and watch gameplay videos on youtube?

It's very strange that they did all the big upfront cash outlay, and then effectively pulled the plug within months of launch. I was hopeful about Google's approach (bought the founders kit), but when they announced the closure of 1st party studios I knew it was dead. They had to be willing to lose on this for at least 5 years. It seemed like they understood they were jumping the gun a bit on internet infrastructure in order to head off competition. Stadia is impressive tech that was bungled by business.

Only retards thought Stadia was the future of gaming. I could smell the flop from the day they first announced it. 

Next one to shut down is Xcloud.

These streaming services are all horse shit. Too much latency and nobody is playing full sized AAA games on their cellphones like these stupid mega-corporations want us to.

It's all foolishness, trying make something a trend when gamers don't have the least bit of interest in the shit they are selling.

":lemming: Consoles are dead and streaming is teh future!!1" ..... Another failed prediction from Michael Pachter and all the retarded "analysts" out there :cruise:

I think Amazon Luna has the right ideas and it might end up being the most successful platform for streaming games. The way the subscription tiers are divided makes perfect sense and most people will find a tier that appeals to their interests

https://www.amazon.com/luna/landing-page

Even as someone who would normally have little need for a platform like this, ill likely end up subscribing to the jackbox bundle soon so I can play those games with family and friends during the holidays. 

23 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Yeah. I think they expected easy money like in the mobile market. That just having content would work right off the gate, but the console market is a different beast, requires extensive support and being willing to lose money to stay competitive sometimes.

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Yeah. I think they expected easy money like in the mobile market. That just having content would work right off the gate, but the console market is a different beast, requires extensive support and being willing to lose money to stay competitive sometimes.

People are so focused on "ownership" as the issue that doomed Stadia, but my whole life The Masses have never given a shit about this. We just get less and less ownership with each generation. There has never been a digital movie format that you can "own" without DRM.

I say the #1 reason Stadia failed is it launched without a key exclusive franchise, and never got one. Just being a convenient way to play Destiny isn't enough.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ramza said:

Just look at MS, they're losing billions to stay competitively dead last in gaming :drake:

• Haha 1
  • Geese 1
  • dead 1