Crystal Dynamics are doing a survey on The Legacy of Kain series

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

Lol

So I did some digging and the start of this is just some guy on Resetera saying he got an email with the link. That thread is 5 pages and nobody is corroborating the email, just filling out the survey/discussing the franchise.

You guys are ridiculously gullible.

if they are doing a survey, or hiring any outside company to do a survey, then its coming from executive management and not the developer.

very low chance of them approving development of a new game.

that's why they're doing a survey to see if the IP has any surprising amount of name recognition to even think about putting any investment. And it would have to be very surprising survey results.

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

if they are doing a survey, or hiring any outside company to do a survey, then its coming from executive management and not the developer.

very low chance of them approving development of a new game.

that's why they're doing a survey to see if the IP has any surprising amount of name recognition to even think about putting any investment. And it would have to be very surprising survey results.

Yea, I'm sure they bought the IP back... to not do anything with it...

On 2022-10-02 at 3:53 AM, Remij said:

Yea, I'm sure they bought the IP back... to not do anything with it...

to not anything at a certain price point where it won't make its money back.

this is the difference between "lets try to make a cheap low-budget sequel" versus "lets try to make it a AA-production game to put on consoles"

versus "fuck it, let's just re-release the existing game and call it a HD remaster to make a little money from whatever few nolstalgic suckers are out there."

It doesn't take much to "do something" with the IP.

That's one series I never manage to get into. I think I played the port of the first game on the Dreamcast. lmao Some PS2 demo as well, I think. I don't care for this series at all, the art style always bugged me. 

• 1 month later...

i just hope they don't dumb down the puzzles with constant hints *cough* god of war *cough*.

while i loved zelda oot, soul reaver was superior in terms of pacing, combat and puzzle design. oh...and that stellar voice acting :wow2:

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Survey was taken by over 100,000 people... with over 70,000 of those filling out the entire thing. :whew: 

It's not a matter of if... but when. :aitch: 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/legacy-of-kain-crystal-dynamics-says-it-hears-fans-loud-and-clear-after-100k-survey-responses/

Well this is awkward. :ben:

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i just hope they don't dumb down the puzzles with constant hints *cough* god of war *cough*.

while i loved zelda oot, soul reaver was superior in terms of pacing, combat and puzzle design. oh...and that stellar voice acting :wow2:

I don't think that will happen haha... but holy shit if it did I'd be heart broken. :D 

It's hard to say what shape/form a new Kain game would take.  Maybe it's a sequel, maybe a remaster, maybe a remake, or a reboot.. but sadly some of the key cast memebers of the series have passed away.. notably Tony Jay as the Elder God, and Paul Lukather as Vorador.  Vorador is my favorite character in the Kain series... although there's a few of them that are also right up there with him.  I fucking love these characters, really.

A remake of the original game would literally be a dream come true for me.  But I'd honestly be happy with literally anything based on this series.

• Like 1
Just now, Remij said:

I don't think that will happen haha... but holy shit if it did I'd be heart broken. :D 

It's hard to say what shape/form a new Kain game would take.  Maybe it's a sequel, maybe a remaster, maybe a remake, or a reboot.. but sadly some of the key cast memebers of the series have passed away.. notably Tony Jay as the Elder God, and Paul Lukather as Vorador.  Vorador is my favorite character in the Kain series... although there's a few of them that are also right up there with him.  I fucking love these characters, really.

A remake of the original game would literally be a dream come true for me.  But I'd honestly be happy with literally anything based on this series.

i just want those elaborate environmental puzzles from soul reaver 1 and 2. the only game that has come close was tomb raider underworld, which had some of the best puzzles in the 360/ps3 generation. the combat was ass, but there wasn't much of it, fortunately.

Just now, -GD-X said:

i just want those elaborate environmental puzzles from soul reaver 1 and 2. the only game that has come close was tomb raider underworld, which had some of the best puzzles in the 360/ps3 generation. the combat was ass, but there wasn't much of it, fortunately.

Yes, that would be awesome!  That's basically my dream Kain game.  Essentially the first game, but with the environmental level design and puzzle designs of Soul Reaver, and of course completely updated combat.

You're right, the design was so good.  Ahead of its time in so many ways. :aitch:

Just now, Remij said:

Yes, that would be awesome!  That's basically my dream Kain game.  Essentially the first game, but with the environmental level design and puzzle designs of Soul Reaver, and of course completely updated combat.

You're right, the design was so good.  Ahead of its time in so many ways. :aitch:

big time! it was like an evolution of the earlier tomb raider games.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Man I used to associate action/adventure games with having fantastic puzzles, its really unfortunate whats happened to that genre.

yup. scorn was a breath of fresh air (it's like a horror action/adventure game).

• Upvote 1