Hermits, today was the big day. How many of you were able to get the 4090?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now it's cancelled. Nvidia is drunk.

Just came in    

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Remij said:

They'll probably drop the price a tad and rename it as a 4070 Ti, and for future chips vbios limit the lowest binned ones as the regular 4070 with just 10GB of RAM.  

Good on them though for walking it back.  It would have been a disastrous launch had they kept it as is.

I saw benchmarks claim the 16gb version is way faster, like 30% than the 12gb. It seems unlikely that ram alone could make such a difference in current games. AMD cards typically have more ram than Nvidia and we don't see that advantage.

1 minute ago, sugarhigh said:

I saw benchmarks claim the 16gb version is way faster, like 30% than the 12gb. It seems unlikely that ram alone could make such a difference in current games. AMD cards typically have more ram than Nvidia and we don't see that advantage.

There's a reduction in SM's in the 12GB card.. so it's not just a VRAM difference.  That's why it was retarded for them to try to name it a 4080 card in the first place.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Sergio Perez SP11 said:

not yet,  trying. 

It really shouldn't be that difficult as Nvidia will pepper the supply chains with units just enough to keep them going in and out of stock on a regular basis until mid-late November when AMD releases their GPUs, then stock will be more plentiful.

16 minutes ago, Substatic said:

Fuck I want one to use with my C2 42". But I would  also need a new PSU too 850watt probably won't cut it, and it's already pricey. Damn Nvidia!

Yea, I'm glad I got a 1300w PSU all those years ago.  I'm still good for a while yet.

So I've got it installed now and just setting up some stuff and trying out a few things.  This thing is massive.  Fills out my case nicely though... and it's WAY quieter than my 2080ti ever was lol  :fblike: 

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
Just now, FIREPOWER said:

:aitch: Lucky! Looks awesome.

Mine is still being processed. It’s supposed to ship some time this week. The wait is killing me but I know it will be well worth the wait when it arrives :smoke:

Yea it's nice.

LOL I just tried Elden Ring at 7680x3200 and it's 60fps locked, holy shit :D 

I need to upgrade my CPU now though, unless I'm pushing stupidly high resolutions I'm very CPU limited.

• aitch 1
1 minute ago, Remij said:

Yea it's nice.

LOL I just tried Elden Ring at 7680x3200 and it's 60fps locked, holy shit :D 

I need to upgrade my CPU now though, unless I'm pushing stupidly high resolutions I'm very CPU limited.

:smoke: Pretty much every CPU right now will bottleneck the 4090. I think the Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs and Intel’s 14th gen CPUs will be a match for it. It’s insane how fast it is. I’ve been watching tons of benchmark videos for it and even the recently released Ryzen 7000s are bottlenecking the 4090 at lower resolutions.

This is an actual 8K card.  So many games run at 8K 60fps+ on this thing..  8K 30 is easy.  It's absolutely insane.

Another thing is that the cooling on these cards is completely overengineered.  My temps literally never leave the 50s usually settling around the middle with the card completely maxed out :D 

It's not the most demanding game, but Uncharted 4 running at 52fps @ Ultra settings, 7680x3200 (7K ultrawide) 100% GPU utilization ~3Ghz clocks using 14GB VRAM and ~370w power draw..... at 54-55'C... It never goes above that and I don't even hear the GPU :D 

20221023100647-1.jpg

20221023100706-1.jpg

Edited by Remij
  • aitch 1
31 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Pass.

to me RTX 4090 is a 4K gamer's GPU, with this card you finally can get frame rates that 1080p/1440p users have had for years.

It's a port of the PS5 remaster. 

I know. It still looks pretty sweet on PC 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Uncharted looks current gen there!

Yea, it still looks really good.  Really the only things that bring it down are the somewhat flat lighting at times, as well as some flat surface textures.  If they had tessellation on everything and more geometry, it would look even more current.  The character models are still great.

The PC version actually doesn't have the LOD distance of the PS5 version, so there's some scenes which don't have quite as much foliage as the PS5 version and some other minor objects which aren't as detailed as far out.  That's pretty much the only blemish for me on this port.  They could have, and should have pushed the distance out even further than the PS5 version.  Maybe it will be patched?  Who knows, but it still looks great!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

My 4090 still hasn’t arrived from NZXT yet but it’s finally out for shipping. Should be arriving on Wednesday. I’ll post some pics and screenshots here once it arrives  :smoke:

Awesome!  Yea I heard some other people basically get their orders in right away and still haven't gotten theirs either from the various outlets.  Retailers probably had taken more orders than they have stock and it's taken some time to get them in.

Good shit though.  They're massive, but they're completely silent... at least in comparison to past cards I've had.  Temps are so low too.  I can't seem to push this though out of the 50-60'C range no matter what game I try and what res/settings.  I'm really impressed with it.

• Like 1