Steam Breaks Its Own Concurrent Record as 30 Million Users Were Online at One Time This Weekend

13 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah, Steam somehow continues to grow.  The best gaming platform and store to ever exist. :wow2: 

They are making it more tempting than ever to get into PC gaming. Even the $300-$400 cards are great. 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

They are making it more tempting than ever to get into PC gaming. Even the $300-$400 cards are great. 

Yea, they've been doing a lot of backend improvements to the client, and the SteamOS UI is coming to desktop as well, so that will even make the client more console friendly for people who like that kind of thing.

The new cards are indeed really powerful.  Now, as you say, even the low to mid range GPUs are essentially next gen console level.  So there's lots of power there.  And DirectStorage 1.1 will be released by the end of this year, so that will make another big impact on what devs can use.

Honestly I think for you, having a PC or Laptop for work, but that you can also use to play some of those hidden gem type games that sometimes don't release on console which you'd like to try.. would be perfect for that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea, they've been doing a lot of backend improvements to the client, and the SteamOS UI is coming to desktop as well, so that will even make the client more console friendly for people who like that kind of thing.

The new cards are indeed really powerful.  Now, as you say, even the low to mid range GPUs are essentially next gen console level.  So there's lots of power there.  And DirectStorage 1.1 will be released by the end of this year, so that will make another big impact on what devs can use.

Honestly I think for you, having a PC or Laptop for work, but that you can also use to play some of those hidden gem type games that sometimes don't release on console which you'd like to try.. would be perfect for that.

Yeah, when I get my next payment for the film I’m working on, I’m going to consider the Legion laptops. 

43 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yeah, when I get my next payment for the film I’m working on, I’m going to consider the Legion laptops. 

Check out IGN's laptop reviews, they're actually pretty informative. There was one laptop I saw recently that sounded very cool. It was slim and lightweight yet packed some real powerful hardware.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

get that steam deck for the downtime during filming :diddy:

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

@Remij Did Plague Tale flop on PC? I just checked Steam Charts and it had a peak of only 5K players. I know its on Gamepass as well so a lot of people are playing it there, but still these numbers seem low.

Seems like it did about as well as the first one

plague.png

Considering that, as you said, it's also on GamePass (I don't know if Innocence was on GP at its launch) it seems like it did a bit better than the original.

It's got around 2000 reviews already... which if you multiply by 70 (rule of thumb 1 review for each 70 sales) it comes out to ~140K sales thus far.. which probably isn't too bad for them... considering how busy this period is right now.

• Upvote 1

@Twinblade The first game did 1 million in sales in just over 1 year across all platforms, and was also put on GamePass at some point

In the 13 months since it was first released, A Plague Tale has sold one million copies across all platforms. It is also available on Xbox Game Pass, where it has access to an audience of more than ten million players.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/a-plague-tale-innocence-reaches-one-million-sales

So even considering the PC version as being low.. if it's around 150K copies in 1 week of sales (with GamePass from day 1), and the other versions are somewhere around the same... that's ~400K copies in 1 week lol..

I still haven't bought the game yet either, but plan to sometime soon.

Edited by Remij
4 minutes ago, Remij said:

The first game did 1 million in sales in just over 1 year across all platforms, and was also put on GamePass at some point

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/a-plague-tale-innocence-reaches-one-million-sales

So even considering the PC version as being low.. if it's around 150K copies in 1 week of sales (with GamePass from day 1), and the other versions are somewhere around the same... that's ~400K copies in 1 week lol..

I looked up the first game and it released in May 2019, but didn't come to Gamepass until Jan 2020.

But anyway Requiem is much higher budget and had a larger team so it probably needs to do at least 1.5-2 million in the first year for it to be a success. 

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I looked up the first game and it released in May 2019, but didn't come to Gamepass until Jan 2020.

But anyway Requiem is much higher budget and had a larger team so it probably needs to do at least 1.5-2 million in the first year for it to be a success. 

I bet with GamePass the game is already a success.  MS probably paid them well.. and there are probably a lot of PC gamers playing it on GamePass as well as Xbox gamers because it's one of the most next gen looking games on the system lol

Edited by Remij
8 minutes ago, Remij said:

I bet with GamePass the game is already a success.  MS probably paid them well.. and there are probably a lot of PC gamers playing it on GamePass as well as Xbox gamers because it's one of the most next gen looking games on the system lol

Yeah i've actually been thinking about the details behind these Gamepass deals. Like do they just sign off on a big one time payment and then that money gets dumped right into the game's development? That would actually be cool, if one of the reasons the game is bigger and better looking than the original is because of MS' extra funding. Maybe one day they'll pull back the curtain on the business side of Gamepass.