Star Ocean The Divine Force reviews coming in - 7 from IGN

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im about 6 hours in give or take.   The game is a mess  There's no denying that. But its an enjoyable mess so far. Anyway some quick thoughts   - The traversal using the DUMA boost

I just realized I have played all Star Ocean games to date, including ports and remasters that came out in the west. Lol, and I only really like one game in the series.  SO is one of those franchise,

I barely played it but it's better than I expected so far. I liked the voice acting and the fast combat encounters that happens on the map. The combat felt sloppy, but we'll see.   And geez,

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Remij said:

Not completely horrible then.

This is one of those games I'll eventually buy on a deep sale, and probably will never play lol.

Have you heard anything about the PC version? They've been pretty tight lipped about it. I wonder if its not a great port.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Have you heard anything about the PC version? They've been pretty tight lipped about it. I wonder if its not a great port.

Nope.  Though I wouldn't look too much into that as it seems only PS5 codes were sent out for review.  There's no Xbox or even PS4 reviews yet either.

But who knows?

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Saw this on steam. Game running on a 3090. Not watching though.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Saw this on steam. Game running on a 3090. Not watching though.

Looks like it performs decently. Now I just need to know which character path I should pick when starting the game. One of them will probably be objectively better than the other.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Looks like it performs decently. Now I just need to know which character path I should pick when starting the game. One of them will probably be objectively better than the other.

What do you mean by character path? 

Are they doing two story point of view again with the girl and the dude like in SO2? There's no way.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Not completely horrible then.

This is one of those games I'll eventually buy on a deep sale, and probably will never play lol.

So like a "filler game"?

Something you play when you don't have anything else?

If I ever I get to a point where I don't have anything else to play and I see Star Ocean for like 30 bucks, I'd probably bite TBH.

Don't think I'm ever going to get to that point though.  My backlog never ends. The list keeps growing no matter how many games I play through. I need to get my impulse buying under control.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

What do you mean by character path? 

Are they doing two story point of view again with the girl and the dude like in SO2? There's no way.

Yeah thats exactly what they're doing, where have you been :ben: Apparently there are even party members that are exclusive to each path.

I just realized I have played all Star Ocean games to date, including ports and remasters that came out in the west. Lol, and I only really like one game in the series. :D SO is one of those franchise, kinda like the SaGa series, where I always hope they get their shit together, but it never really happened.

SaGa is even worse because I could never bring myself to finish any of them and I've played the entire series too. :kaz: 

I'm a JRPG masochist, confirmed. 

Edited by Ramza
  • Like 2

Holy shit, I just deleted my whole post through an edit. Haha, fuck this shit.

Anyway, I won't have much time to play this one on top of Triangle Strategy but you can expect early impressions soon enough. 

• aitch 1
53 minutes ago, Sabo said:

So like a "filler game"?

Something you play when you don't have anything else?

If I ever I get to a point where I don't have anything else to play and I see Star Ocean for like 30 bucks, I'd probably bite TBH.

Don't think I'm ever going to get to that point though.  My backlog never ends. The list keeps growing no matter how many games I play through. I need to get my impulse buying under control.

Basically yeah.  I'll buy it just to have it in case.  

And yea, I own like a bajillion games that I want to either play, or play through again.. so it's not like I wont have anything else to play.. but rather sometimes I might feel like playing a certain genre of game, and it's always good to have options.  I typically like to support JRPGs regardless.. as long as they aren't outright dogshit.

53 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

This game fills a role that’s practically non existent nowadays and I think that’s something I appreciate. How many relatively modern, decent budget sized JRPGS on current gen are there? Not many, most are on Switch or mobile i feel.

I agree with this, mid budget RPGs from Square was really dry in the past few years. Now they release SO/Valkyrie in the same month with decent, mid budgets. Even DioField, which is hardly a looker but had great voice acting and ok graphics, at least better than something like Triangle Strategy/Octopath Traveller, which I absolutely loved but also feels pretty low budget. 

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I agree with this, mid budget RPGs from Square was really dry in the past few years. Now they release SO/Valkyrie in the same month with decent, mid budgets. Even DioField, which is hardly a looker but had great voice acting and ok graphics, at least better than something like Triangle Strategy/Octopath Traveller, which I absolutely loved but also feels pretty low budget. 

Remember back in the PS3/360 days we had stuff like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, I mean shit even stuff like White Knight Chronicles and Enchanted Arms felt big and had some good ideas.

• Upvote 1
On 2022-10-26 at 7:13 AM, Sabo said:

Not a very high bar but sure, it's better than the last one.

The demo told me everything I needed to- it's just another Star Ocean game. Second tier JRPG series and will never be nothing more than that.

second tier is generous.

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Remember back in the PS3/360 days we had stuff like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, I mean shit even stuff like White Knight Chronicles and Enchanted Arms felt big and had some good ideas.

these released over a 5 year span (rof and wks were 2010 iirc). in the first 2 years of this gen, there's elden ring, tales, star ocean, valkyrie, scarlet nexus, soul hackers 2. if you just want jrpgs without any demand that they be particularly great, theyre there.

when stuff like ff16, ff7 rebirth, yakuza 8, dragon's dogma 2, wo long, rise of the ronin, and whatever else square/atlus/namco/sega release over the first 5 years of this gen, i would be shocked if it isn't drastically better than the crappy ass ps3/360 jrpg era.

@Twinblade I noticed you bought this game.  Have you tried it out yet?

A positive note is that the game pre-compiles shaders after initial launch.  Developers are waking up regarding this issue.  Uncharted LoT Collection pre-compiles shaders as well and runs butter smooth.