I’m tempted to buy GOW as my PS5 has been in the closet for 6 months, but is it just another HFW?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can tolerate the simplicity and boredom of bored in the wild, this will be a major step up. 

I'm tempted to buy GOW too but I only have a PS4 Pro Oh wait that works too 

Jerky: I play my PS5 all the time!  I play more games than you!     Last trophy earned was in the middle of August         PS5 played in the last 2 weeks?  0h

Just now, ghostz said:

never played a game in the GOW series, and am kinda tempted, but wow was horizon stupid. I’ll trade it in for GOW tho, but is it honestly even worth it? Asking for opinions from people who have played the series mainly. 

You're trading it the Horizon you got with your PS5 bundle? 

25 minutes ago, ghostz said:

never played a game in the GOW series, and am kinda tempted, but wow was horizon stupid. I’ll trade it in for GOW tho, but is it honestly even worth it? Asking for opinions from people who have played the series mainly. 

Yeah, it's worth it, it's a pretty kickass action game with some of the best graphics and presentation in the industry, solid combat, solid level design and a little bit of environment puzzles thrown in for good measure. It's no Zelda but it's at least aiming for more than just being a linear, cinematic experience. 

It has an open world hub but it's not quite the open world type of game like Horizon where you do the same quest over and over. It has a bit of that but it's more restricted to one area.

I'm not a cow anymore so you can trust me on this. And I haven't played Ragnarok but I'm sure it's a really cool game and a no brainer if you have a PS5. I say go for it; you could go a lot worse than playing GoW reboot or the sequel.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Yeah, it's worth it, it's a pretty kickass action game with some of the best graphics and presentation in the industry, solid combat, solid level design and a little bit of environment puzzles thrown in for good measure. It's no Zelda but it's at least aiming for more than just being a linear, cinematic experience. 

It has an open world hub but it's not quite the open world type of game like Horizon where you do the same quest over and over. It has a bit of that but it's more restricted to one area.

I'm not a cow anymore so you can trust me on this. And I haven't played Ragnarok but I'm sure it's a really cool game and a no brainer if you have a PS5. I say go for it; you could go a lot worse than playing GoW reboot or the sequel.

All the reviews say people loved the story. I don’t care much about that. Just want fun gameplay. I like open world design that botw created but most videos seem like they’re in small, closed off environments? Are there any like, big landscapes? 

1 minute ago, ghostz said:

All the reviews say people loved the story. I don’t care much about that. Just want fun gameplay. I like open world design that botw created but most videos seem like they’re in small, closed off environments? Are there any like, big landscapes? 

If you can tolerate the simplicity and boredom of bored in the wild, this will be a major step up. 

• dead 2
Just now, ghostz said:

It is very story driven; this isn't Bayonetta.  

Yes, there is an open world hub on a canoe... but most of the dungeons are corridors like level design and not very open. I think that's the best part of the game though, it's as its weakest when it's trying to do the open world thing, but as I said that's just a small part of the game that interconnects the various levels. It's mostly there to add flavor and content, not the main goal. 

Just now, -GD-X said:

im sorry you didn’t get to enjoy it, truly a great game. More importantly, even better games have been created because of it.  

a more relevant question to you, do you think it can challenge elden ring for GOTY?! 

Just now, Ramza said:

It is very story driven; this isn't Bayonetta.  

Yes, there is an open world hub on a canoe... but most of the dungeons are corridors like level design and not very open. I think that's the best part of the game though, it's as its weakest when it's trying to do the open world thing, but as I said that's just a small part of the game that interconnects the various levels. It's mostly there to add flavor and content, not the main goal. 

I see, I thought it was more traditional open world. Makes more sense why the videos don’t seem open world really. 

3 minutes ago, ghostz said:

I see, I thought it was more traditional open world. Makes more sense why the videos don’t seem open world really. 

It really isn't. I don't know about Ragnarok though.

32 minutes ago, ghostz said:

im sorry you didn’t get to enjoy it, truly a great game. More importantly, even better games have been created because of it.  

a more relevant question to you, do you think it can challenge elden ring for GOTY?! 

I’m not a psychic lol. 

1 hour ago, ghostz said:

Yeah but it's not open world. It's closer to Arkham Asylum where you have hub and you can choose to go on side stuff or continue the main path

The hub also changes over time so it's got that touch of metroidvania

Edited by Voidler
  • Upvote 1

Dude, play God of War.  It's great!  You say you don't care about the story, which is fine... but man, just allow yourself to be taken in by it..  It has bombastic action sequences, flashy sequences, slow thoughtful moments... and everything in between.  It's got great combat which only gets better as you unlock skills and equipment, and become more familiar/natural with combos.

Also, it's NOT open-world... it's a Hub/spoke type of game design.  The hub world isn't even that big at all to me personally... but it IS a large area.  It's essentially a focus point in the middle of a circle of surrounding areas which are levels.  You change realms which open up different levels, and what you do there can also affect the main hub realm as well.. opening up different areas to explore as the game progresses.

It's as linear as can be.  You can always easily find out where you need to go next to advance the story.

Edited by Remij
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Shit bait :poop: And imagine being such a fanboy that you've never played a single game in the GOW series for 17 years.

Typical non gamer fraud. It's no wonder why he thinks BOTW pioneered the open world games genre.

43 minutes ago, ghostz said:

If there was no BOTW there is no Elden ring :blessed:

No Ultima, No Morrowind, no BOTW, No Elden Ring. :pavarotti:

Trying to appropriate the success of another game because it follows a long-established gaming trend. Lmao.

On top of the fact that Elden Ring is just Dark Souls in an open world. Lmfao, if anything it owes more to its spiritual predecessor series than fucking BOTW. 

You're an idiot.