Who changed? The Music or me the Listener

Is it: A. I'm too old now to click with younger generation music, B. is it a case of modern Rock music just being awful compared to the later shown performance that is more Pop music oriented, or C. is it just Paris's band is just drowning out her vocals.

I watched this live performance of Paris Jackson, for those that don't know that's the daughter of the late Michael Jackson, and I could not connect with her music at all. I tried to be objective with an open ear, but what she was singing was just missing my brain.

So I went back nearly 20 years earlier and watched Jewel do live performance on the same program, I and boom I could understand clearly what I was hearing.

What's going on? 😳

Edited by The Mother Fucker
  • The Mother Fucker changed the title to Who changed? The Music or me the Listener

Well, rock music is definitely in a much weaker place.

I had no idea Paris Jackson was even in the music business. However, skimming through the video, I wasn't entirely disappointed with her performance, she looks like she has the ability to sing loud enough to make some rock music.

A couple of weeks ago, Will Smith's and Jada Pinkett Smith's daugher was on SNL, and she is trying to make rock music.

It seems like they did some quick research of what rock bands do in live performances, and they just try to emulate that.

I will say that the most interesting female rock band that I've come across are Savages.

I skimmed it, and it's probably a bit of all 3.

Our tastes change as we grow older, we develop an ear for specific music cues, and when we don't hear them it sounds messy, and the mixing was definitely off on that performance.

I don't think it speaks to anything about the music as a whole... it's always been this way.  Our parents considered the stuff we listened to when we were younger as "noise"... and that's basically what a lot of this sounds like to us now that we're older.

• Upvote 2

You. I remember reading 30 is the cutoff, music is designed for younger more impressionable audiences and as you reach a certain age you just outgrow it. Every generation swears music isn't as good as it was in their days.

Pop music is the worst as its definitely a period of its time, modern pop music is horrendous. From top to bottom, the lyrics, the beats, everything its pure horseshit, generic crap aimed at the lowest common denominator. I'd rather listen to white noise.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

You. I remember reading 30 is the cutoff, music is designed for younger more impressionable audiences and as you reach a certain age you just outgrow it. Every generation swears music isn't as good as it was in their days.

Pop music is the worst as its definitely a period of its time, modern pop music is horrendous. From top to bottom, the lyrics, the beats, everything its pure horseshit, generic crap aimed at the lowest common denominator. I'd rather listen to white noise.

I disagree. How is it I listen to rock and reggae from the 60’s and 70’s? I even love Sinatra. This is one of my favorite songs ever: 

I don’t think new music is all bad. Shit, I mainly listen to new EDM, which I love. Bob Moses and Rufus Du Sol :wow2: Some new gen rappers like Denzel Curry have as much militant conviction as Public Enemy, but the silky smooth flow of 90’s native tongue artists. 

As for rock, I hear some stuff I like. However, the soul isn’t there. It’s not a generation thing, because I think 80’s hairspray rock is the worst thing ever lol.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I disagree. How is it I listen to rock and reggae from the 60’s and 70’s? I even love Sinatra. This is one of my favorite songs ever: 

I don’t think new music is all bad. Shit, I mainly listen to new EDM, which I love. Bob Moses and Rufus Du Sol :wow2: Some new gen rappers like Denzel Curry have as much militant conviction as Public Enemy, but the silky smooth flow of 90’s native tongue artists. 

As for rock, I hear some stuff I like. However, the soul isn’t there. It’s not a generation thing, because I think 80’s hairspray rock is the worst thing ever lol.

I think it was a generalized thing, and more fitting for pop than specialized genres. It makes sense because that's definitely aimed at a younger market.

I did a quick search and here's an article talking about a very similar thing - https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/culture/culture-news/a21588895/why-your-music-tastes-change-when-you-hit-30/

• Upvote 1

in the end it's all about taste and it will always remain subjective. there are those weird ass genres that just make fucking noise and people like it. :D 

that said I find in many genres there is a lot of trash nowadays it definitely changed like you say, lots of rock and pop got more commercially oriented I'd dare to say but others remain a rollercoaster with heights and lows like dnb and techno stuff, because I'd say it is easier for those artists to go back in time or even mix it with newer stuff.

honestly I like to try all genres and I always find some songs that I really like, hell I could be loving some country music bangers, I just haven't listened all that much of this shit. And by that I mean older and newer stuff.

also it's I can't seem to listen to newer albums of some of my fav bands like Deftones, In Flames and Soilwork, at some point I just didn't like the newer stuff anymore. :wonder: 

Edited by kaz
13 hours ago, TLHBO said:

For me, the biggest revelation was discovering Godspeed You Black Emperor just 5-6 years ago, when I was already past 30.

It was music that was released when I was 16-20 years old, so I imagine if I had discovered them back then, i'd be equally or more impressed.

I just saw them last week, fucking incredible.

11 hours ago, kaz said:

yoooo what the fuck :D:D   I tell you arguing about taste is ultimately impossible

Kinda reminds me of the latter half of NIN's The Great Destroyer

There's nothing original anymore. Everything is remade or remixed. But it makes you appreciate how much better the original stuff was in terms of effort, skill, creativity, etc. Not saying you can't be influenced but damn, some stuff is just so obvious and even cameos and references get excessive. I've always wondered like how is music like rap that references other artists supposed to be appreciated in the future without someone going on wikipedia looking up every single thing or person they mention.

Honestly there is so much garbage music out there on mass, but at the same time quality shit like cooke's music. 

I know a guy who makes techno music (sounds pretty "standard") but he just does his own thing and vibes to it. He plays sometimes at clubs etc. 

Make yo own music folks.