God of War Ragnarok sold 5.1 million copies, fastest selling first party launch in PlayStation History.

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah the Steam side of things make it a bit skewed to compare with past MS releases. Will be far more interesting to compare with past Bethesda Game Studios games. 

Seeing Nintendo and Sony both break their exclusive first party sales records is pretty crazy though, considering all the sub talk. Gamers still very much willing to buy full priced (more expensive than ever for Sony) games Day 1 even with GP and PS Extra. Sony strategy looking more right day by day. Breaking day 1 sales records, then get more revenue with PS Extra release a year or so later and then again full price release on PC a year or 2 later. It makes bank. MS killed their own market with their Day 1 Xbox, PC and GP strategy imo. GoW Ragnarok alone would've made more profit (PROFIT not revenue) than GP would in an entire year. Either way great for me, Get all MS and heaps of third party for sub value on Xbox then buy PS exclusives on PS 

5M in 1 week is bonkers.

But I think talking about the "strategy" as it currently stands doesn't really paint the whole picture.  If Microsoft actually released quality games.. and on a somewhat consistent basis... they'd be making bank with GamePass and Retail.

And 10M in 3 days for Pokemon is just stupid.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sony and Nintendo broke their first party sales milestones.....    Bbbut Sony and Nintendo will copy day 1 gamepass any day now I swearz it

If you've got gaming problems, I feel bad for you son They sold 5M copies and you ain't got one      

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

5M in 1 week is bonkers.

But I think talking about the "strategy" as it currently stands doesn't really paint the whole picture.  If Microsoft actually released quality games.. and on a somewhat consistent basis... they'd be making bank with GamePass and Retail.

And 10M in 3 days for Pokemon is just stupid.

Theyd do well but not as well if they weren't day 1 on GP and that is the true comparison they need to check. Say Halo Infinite for eg, bonafied flop and massive disappointment, zero legs on GP, however if that was on released at retail it would've sold an absolute fuckton regardless of it's quality. It would've been profitable no doubt. Sort of like Cyberpunk, can't have a bigger disaster launch than that yet still sold astronomically. The profits MS are giving up to support GP is huge and atm it doesn't seem to be denting the competition at all. 

Pokemon is literally stupid. Game is broken af too. Just sells on name. 

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Theyd do well but not as well if they weren't day 1 on GP and that is the true comparison they need to check. Say Halo Infinite for eg, bonafied flop and massive disappointment, zero legs on GP, however if that was on released at retail it would've sold an absolute fuckton regardless of it's quality. It would've been profitable no doubt. Sort of like Cyberpunk, can't have a bigger disaster launch than that yet still sold astronomically. The profits MS are giving up to support GP is huge and atm it doesn't seem to be denting the competition at all. 

Pokemon is literally stupid. Game is broken af too. Just sells on name. 

They literally have sheep buying 2 copies of the game with every release... fucking scam artists :mj: 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Remij said:

They literally have sheep buying 2 copies of the game with every release... fucking scam artists :mj: 

:D I really can't believe people still do that. As a kid I saw the appeal but nowadays I don't understand how people can buy the same game twice and also have the time & patience to play through both of them.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Remij said:

Big games sell big numbers on Switch.. Pokémon or no Pokémon. 

Splatoon 3 sold almost 4 million in 3 days in Japan alone when you factor in world wilde it most like launched at over 6 million in 3 days... And that's the lower end estimate. :umad:

Just now, Twinblade said:

:D I really can't believe people still do that. As a kid I saw the appeal but nowadays I don't understand how people can buy the same game twice and also have the time & patience to play through both of them.

Nintendo takes advantage of the fact that they're fanatical idiots.  Stupid sheep :rofl: 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Big games sell big numbers on Switch.. Pokémon or no Pokémon. 

Splatoon 3 sold almost 4 million in 3 days in Japan alone when you factor in world wilde it most like launched at over 6 million in 3 days... And that's the lower end estimate. :umad:

Ok? :drake: 

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Oh yea, I've been a huge advocate :drake: 

And LOL...  "he didn't tell anyone he cancelled it!" :drake: 

JFC Twerpy :lawl:

fakeboy is pissed because I pointed out that he's a fakeboy

this dumbass literally typed recently "y'know what, Phil Spencer is right...........mobile is the way to go. it totally makes sense"

And he's literally trying to say he's not a complete fucking fakeboy.:kaz:

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

fakeboy is pissed because I pointed out that he's a fakeboy

this dumbass literally typed recently "y'know what, Phil Spencer is right...........mobile is the way to go. it totally makes sense"

And he's literally trying to say he's not a complete fucking fakeboy.:kaz:

Mobile is growing... console shrunk... idiot :drake: 

In the future, mobile will become increasingly important to the sustainability of these platforms. 

And Jerky... Sony's Jim Ryan even said as much.  Why do you think they're expanding further into mobile? :drake:  

Look sweetie

Sony-PC-growth.jpg

Look at that moble and PC growth in their portfolio:danylol: 

50 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah the Steam side of things make it a bit skewed to compare with past MS releases. Will be far more interesting to compare with past Bethesda Game Studios games. 

Seeing Nintendo and Sony both break their exclusive first party sales records is pretty crazy though, considering all the sub talk. Gamers still very much willing to buy full priced (more expensive than ever for Sony) games Day 1 even with GP and PS Extra. Sony strategy looking more right day by day. Breaking day 1 sales records, then get more revenue with PS Extra release a year or so later and then again full price release on PC a year or 2 later. It makes bank. MS killed their own market with their Day 1 Xbox, PC and GP strategy imo. GoW Ragnarok alone would've made more profit (PROFIT not revenue) than GP would in an entire year. Either way great for me, Get all MS and heaps of third party for sub value on Xbox then buy PS exclusives on PS 

Microsoft was already seeing their existing franchises, Gears, Halo, and Forza Motorsport, ALREADY LOSING steam.

If GamePass didn't exist, and they tried to sell Gears 5, Halo Infinite, and FM7 for $60-$70, they wouldn't be breaking records.

They'd probably be achieving slightly below the best launch sales numbers for each of those franchises.  They're flatlining.

GamePass is an effort to convince people to not lose interest in these franchises.

And we already know that Microsoft is going to change development around the concept of GamePass, which is only going to hurt their perceived value even more.

4 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Sony and Nintendo broke their first party sales milestones..... 

Bbbut Sony and Nintendo will copy day 1 gamepass any day now I swearz it :awww:

Big AAA exclusives are a thing of the past, too expensive and not commercially viable. :scared: 

GAAS and Gamepass are the future, you'll want to do the same, you'll see. :scared: 

Day one multiplatform first party software only makes financial sense, no one buy hardware for exclusive software anyway. :scared: 

Xbox division:

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Sony-PC-growth.jpg

Look at that moble and PC growth in their portfolio:danylol: 

yeah its smaller than either one of those other two.

And console grew the most.

Y'know, the one that clearly shows that its going to be PS5 exclusive games

:kaz:Thanks for proving me correct, and also proving that PS5 is still going to be getting their exclusives. LOTS of them by the time we get late in the console lifecycle, in fact.