The Callisto Protocol might have some performance issues at launch, at least on PS5. UPDATED: Worst on PC. UPDATED: Fixed on PC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to say "least on PS5" not "at least on PS5"  

For some reason the main character is a vampire in the Series S/X versions   

Weren’t lemshits hyping the RT tech of the Series L prior to its launch? Saying it had real RT while PS5’s was fake RT. Fast-forward 2 years later and the LBox is the one struggling to do RT even in m

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

For some reason the main character is a vampire in the Series S/X versions :hest:

Fi-ocf4XoAE0cnJ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

:freeman: Weren’t lemshits hyping the RT tech of the Series L prior to its launch? Saying it had real RT while PS5’s was fake RT. Fast-forward 2 years later and the LBox is the one struggling to do RT even in multiplats. 

Absolutely shameful that lemshits hyped up the RT capabilities of Microsoft’s consoles based on lies. Till this day the console struggles to handle real-time RT. 12 TurdFlops in the Series L, 2 years of waiting on tools, multiplats running worse, no exclusive AAA games outside of Boreza and Halo Shitfinite with everything else launching a disaster or getting delayed without release dates (Starfield).

:mickeyj: When will Microsoft be held accountable for their lies by lemmings? How long will lemshits keep sucking on Phil’s balls instead of admitting they’ve been lied to? 

IMG_5882.thumb.JPG.2d4dd386a6d8ab8fc20c97c5a4017461.JPG

B1DD15CF-9E68-4C46-B6B9-7FE8F4348CB2.jpeg

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Haha 1
  • Geese 1
  • dead 1
  • Hot Sauce changed the title to The Callisto Protocol might have some performance issues at launch, at least on PS5. UPDATED: Worst on PC. UPDATED: Fixed on PC
7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Sounds like most of the PC stuttering issues have been fixed already.

Really?  No way!  Jerky said it was impossible for them to do what I said before. 

Wow, look at that, they decided to pre-compile them upon load and in the main menu.... where did I hear that before??? Hmmm....

reas.png

LOL I've called out every exact fucking step that has happened.... almost like I know what I'm talking about :hest:

And let me tell you exactly what "further optimizations in the days ahead" means right now....  They have a group of people furiously playing through the entire game multiple times, building a complete PSO cache, then they will rebuild the game with the complete cache, and it will be smooth, perform better, and loading times will also be slightly quicker because shaders will compile much faster.

Just now, Twinblade said:

It still does have a bit of stuttering from what im reading. I think im just gonna get the PS5 version.

Yeah, it does.  I just finished testing it.  It's a million times better than it was before however.

Like I said... they're going to have a bunch of people going through the game and they will be logging all the PSO data the shaders in the game require.  Then they'll reintegrate it into the build, and push it out..allowing the game to pre-compile them ahead of time.  Generating that PSO cache, and rebuilding is something a LOT of developers either forget to do, or didn't realize they had to do in the first place.  Unreal Engine (stupidly) doesn't have the greatest documentation regarding this.. and the steps to do it are somewhat convoluted.  And like I've said in tweets many times that Jerry continually tries to post as ownage against me... it's tiring.  Because an UE game releases, has this predicable issue... and then gets fixed shortly after.. like clockwork.  I'm basically tired of these UE games releasing like this when there's no need for it.  The engine already has a way to deal with this issue... but it's not signposted very well.. and is often missed altogether.

There's still other typical Unreal Engine issues of course.  The game is largely single-thread bound, especially with RT.  My 4090 is basically asleep when using Ray Tracing in this game because it's so CPU bound.  Other engines are WAY more advanced than Unreal Engine when it comes to this stuff.  Naughty Dogs engine is light years ahead when it comes to multi-threaded utilization.  In fact, most of Sony's studios have engines that are WAY better optimized for multi threaded processes, and they have the PS3's Cell processor to partially thank for that.  Insomniac have specifically been working on this aspect of their engine for Spider-Man 2.  The SM:R and Miles Morales are both CPU bound in many ways, and they're rewriting parts of the engine to vastly improve this.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Spider-Man 2 will be the most impressive looking game visually by far when it's released.  It's going to be their first real next gen game...built on the revamped engine... unlike Ratchet.

Anyway, these guys could have avoided a complete disaster of a PC launch... and this does speak to a broader problem of QA regarding PC releases.  There's no excuse for them releasing the game like that in the first place... when even the most basic testing would have told you there was a massive problem within the first 2 minutes of loading the game.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Remij said:

Really?  No way!  Jerky said it was impossible for them to do what I said before. 

Wow, look at that, they decided to pre-compile them upon load and in the main menu.... where did I hear that before??? Hmmm....

reas.png

LOL I've called out every exact fucking step that has happened.... almost like I know what I'm talking about :hest:

And let me tell you exactly what "further optimizations in the days ahead" means right now....  They have a group of people furiously playing through the entire game multiple times, building a complete PSO cache, then they will rebuild the game with the complete cache, and it will be smooth, perform better, and loading times will also be slightly quicker because shaders will compile much faster.

No, you just admitted that its still stuttering.........when you said this pre-compiling shaders WOULD FIX EVERYTHING.

No, they are not going to build complete PSO cache for every possible spec variation, which will only becomes useless with any upcoming firmware update

You

Were

Wrong.

So, please shut the fuck up. You don't know shit.

Edited by jehurey
15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, you just admitted that its still stuttering.........when you said this pre-compiling shaders WOULD FIX EVERYTHING.

No, they are not going to build complete PSO cache for every possible spec variation, which will only becomes useless with any upcoming firmware update

You

Were

Wrong.

So, please shut the fuck up. You don't know shit.

Look at him... :tom: 

Again, you're an idiot...  They don't need to create PSO caches for every spec variation... jesus fucking christ.  They gather the PSO data by playing the game ON ANY PC... and the game logs which PSOs are required for which shaders so they can be compiled...  That SHADER PRECOMPILATION... happens on YOUR OWN PC... FOR YOUR OWN SPECIFIC HARDWARE VARIATION :drake: 

You don't even know what the difference between PSO cache, and shader caches are LOL.. and I knew that instantly... when you posted a post from some forum user talking about DXIL intermediate representation and binary/machine code acting like we were taking about the same things. :tom: 

I even posted about some of this stuff in my Steam Deck review thread months ago :hest: 

jerky.png

LOL. I got this bitch straight BUTTFUCKED hard.. and he can't admit it... and this is the fucking clown that wonders why I don't talk about this stuff on this forum!! :lawl: 

Edited by Remij
2 hours ago, Remij said:

Look at him... :tom: 

Again, you're an idiot...  They don't need to create PSO caches for every spec variation... jesus fucking christ.  They gather the PSO data by playing the game ON ANY PC...

So the developer never bothered to play their own on ON ANY PC prior to release.

THis is amazing revelations I'm hearing here.

Its so amazing that he knows all the answers as developers continually have shader compilation stutters.

This is million dollar information that you could be teach TO THESE DEVS. To prevent them losing money. Why aren't you running webinars for money?

"TIPS FOR DEVS!!!!!! Play your own game on PC to gather PSO data............you just need to play it ONCE..........on ANY PC"

You don't even know what the difference between PSO cache, and shader caches are LOL.. and I knew that instantly... when you posted a post from some forum user talking about DXIL intermediate representation and binary/machine code acting like we were taking about the same things. :tom: 

No, that was the second part of his part about ADDITIONAL problems.

In other words............you glossed over his entire first two paragraphs and didn't respond to it.

GO ahead, and respond to that person now on gaf.

Edited by jehurey

Oh my god, you are using SteamDeck as your example for how this issue is easily fixable?

You are using...................a piece of PC hardware.................that has a controlled spec?

To address the problem of how the developer cannot optimize and pre-compile for a variety of PC specs?:tom:

oh my god, poor Alex is almost on the verge of crying:tom:

But........why can't all these devs just FLIPPEH TEH SWITCH!!!

All of these devs that Alex has been talking about from the past 18 months.........they've ALL FORGOTTEN to FLIPPEH TEH SWITCH??????

Gee, its not the first time I've heard somebody on the verge of crying on twitter about the horrible state of PC game and sounding............."tired.":mjgrin:

54 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So the developer never bothered to play their own on ON ANY PC prior to release.

THis is amazing revelations I'm hearing here.

Its so amazing that he knows all the answers as developers continually have shader compilation stutters.

This is million dollar information that you could be teach TO THESE DEVS. To prevent them losing money. Why aren't you running webinars for money?

"TIPS FOR DEVS!!!!!! Play your own game on PC to gather PSO data............you just need to play it ONCE..........on ANY PC"

No, that was the second part of his part about ADDITIONAL problems.

In other words............you glossed over his entire first two paragraphs and didn't respond to it.

GO ahead, and respond to that person now on gaf.

LOL you're an idiot.

And no, I told that that his entire post, had nothing to do or contradict, what I'm saying here.  But YOU thought it did... because you don't know shit :mj: 

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Oh my god, you are using SteamDeck as your example for how this issue is easily fixable?

You are using...................a piece of PC hardware.................that has a controlled spec?

To address the problem of how the developer cannot optimize and pre-compile for a variety of PC specs?:tom:

No, I'm not using the Steam Deck as an example... idiot.  I'm showing you that I've already talked about shit like that... before... on this forum, in that very thread.  You said I never have...  I know what DXIL is, and binary and machine code... I know what PSO caches are, and what shader compilation actually is.

You don't know SHIT... and you're proving it EVERY SINGLE FUCKING STEP OF THE WAY to me.  You're not even smart enough regarding this subject to speak about anything... you continually try to reference the same forum post which doesn't contest what I'm saying... telling me to "argue with him" LOL fucking moron :lawl: 

That entire Steam Deck post I made applies to LINUX... running on Desktop PCs... with any fucking variation you want!  And WINDOWS TOO!  Because THE SHADERS AREN'T BEING COMPILED BEFORE HAND BY THE DEVELOPERS.... THEY ARE BEING COMPILED ON YOUR SPECIFIC PC CONFIG AS THE GAME STARTS UP... OR WHENEVER THE DEVELOPERS CHOOSE.

It's LITERALLY 100% hardware agnostic...  The PSO data they generate from playing the game INFORMS THE ENGINE THE STATE OF THE PIPELINE REQUIRED TO COMPILE THE CORRECT SHADER PERMUTATION....   THOSE PIPELINES ARE WHAT GET COMPILED WHEN THE GAME LOADS UP ON OUR MACHINES... IT'S NOT THE DEVELOPERS COMPILING THEM AND THEN SHIPPING THE COMPILED CODE  THE AMD, INTEL, OR NVIDIA DRIVERS USE THAT DATA TO THEN COMPILE THE SHADERS NEEDED FOR YOUR SPECIFIC CONFIG.... BUT THEY CAN'T DO THAT UNTIL THEY KNOW THE PSOs REQUIRED.... THEY GET THAT DATA FROM PLAYING THE GAME AND GENERATING THE PSOs... THAT DATA IS THEN BAKED BACK INTO THE GAME AS IT IS REBUILT.  THE TABLE TELLS THEM EXACTLY WHICH PSOs WERE USED FOR WHICH MATERIALS/SHADERS. :drake: 

Think about it this way, I'll dumb it down real good for you.  Devs can't compile the shaders and put them in the package because of all the hardware variations... so what they do is figure out which shaders require which pipeline state, and once they have that by generating it, they can tell YOUR SPECIFIC PC to compile them ahead of time, because they now know what they need to do so....

Do you think they make separate pipelines for AMD, Intel, and Nvidia?  Or do you think those GPUs all support a common API for a reason????  Maybe... I dunno, something called DX12, or Vulkan?  :drake: 

My LORD the fucking utter stupidity you have is hilarious.  Literally too stupid to understand how you're wrong, and how I'm speaking about different things which you know nothing about... This is so hilarious for me :tom: 

Edited by Remij