Need for Speed Unbound - The DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Criterion is BACK!

Xbox again has a higher resolution, and some larger drops.

Someone said that developers do this on Xbox so they can meet the "4K resoultion store tag" requirement, so that when people search for 4K on the Xbox store, their game will appear in the results.

25 minutes ago, Remij said:

Someone said that developers do this on Xbox so they can meet the "4K resoultion store tag" requirement, so that when people search for 4K on the Xbox store, their game will appear in the results.

L

O

L

31 minutes ago, Remij said:

that excuse doesn't hold any water.

both the PS5 and XsX hit 2160p, so by that logic both games can meet the "tag" requirement.

Unless they meant a LOCKED 2160p resolution, but that doesn't work either, because the XsX version also scaled resolution below 2160p, from what digital foundry can tell, it can go down to 2016p, whereas the PS5 version can go down to 1800p at times.

So, if it can't even stay locked at 2160p and has to do some light dynamic resolution no matter what......why not just do more dynamic resolution in order to ensure you stay as close to 60fps at that point, and not suffer any (very noticeable) 10fps drops. 

Its a racing game, for goodness sakes. Framerate should always be prioritized.

9 hours ago, Remij said:

jHD7a7t.gif

You know, the game almost looks like it could be an open world GTA-type of open world.

Why doesn't EA just fucking make Criterion do a GTA knockoff, but in the style of the Fast and Furious (so not very R-rated), so that they can have their own open world game.

And, it would easily have the best driving out of all the GTA-knockoffs.

14 hours ago, Remij said:

:mj: 

On 2022-12-04 at 1:18 PM, jehurey said:

that excuse doesn't hold any water.

both the PS5 and XsX hit 2160p, so by that logic both games can meet the "tag" requirement.

Unless they meant a LOCKED 2160p resolution, but that doesn't work either, because the XsX version also scaled resolution below 2160p, from what digital foundry can tell, it can go down to 2016p, whereas the PS5 version can go down to 1800p at times.

So, if it can't even stay locked at 2160p and has to do some light dynamic resolution no matter what......why not just do more dynamic resolution in order to ensure you stay as close to 60fps at that point, and not suffer any (very noticeable) 10fps drops. 

Its a racing game, for goodness sakes. Framerate should always be prioritized.

Believe me, I agree with you.  I think it's completely stupid that they don't widen the DRS to keep the FPS consistent.  That's the thing about it... there's no logical reason why they shouldn't do that..  So you have to ask why?

I think the theory makes sense...  I don't know if it's true or not, and I'm not saying it is.. but if MS has stricter policies on their own store about what constitutes eligibility for that tag, then I could see developers not giving a shit about the framerate and only allowing a smaller DRS window.

It's not even just SOME developers doing that... it's very consistent across multiple studios where on PS5 they prioritize the framerate and on Xbox the resolution.. when it's clear that dropping the resolution would solve the FPS issues.