Death Stranding 2 reveal trailer

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Yay! More deliveries! 

Its really unfortunate that you weren't able to get into it. While the deliveries are the focus of the gameplay the way they're used in combination with the storytelling and world building (and by that I mean literally, you're building parts of the world in conjunction with other online players to make getting around easier) was special to me. There really is nothing like it out there and I never felt like the gameplay was boring or a slog.

• Upvote 1

To say the COVID-19 pandemic affected Hideo Kojima's writing of Death Stranding 2 would be an understatement.

The Kojima Productions founder officially unveiled the sequel at tonight's Game Awards, and after showing the first look, stayed on stage for a while to answer some questions from host Geoff Keighley.

"I had the story written before the pandemic, but after experiencing the pandemic, I rewrote the whole thing from scratch," he told Keighley after being asked how the pandemic affected the game. "I also didn't want to predict any more future, so I rewrote it."

It's true that Kojima has earned a somewhat infamous reputation for predicting the future with his games; Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was far ahead of its time in portraying how quickly misinformation can spread online. And the first Death Stranding's themes of loneliness had some eerie parallels to the COVID-19 lockdown that would be put into place just months after its 2019 release. So, one might understand if Kojima wanted to put away the crystal ball for a while.

7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Its really unfortunate that you weren't able to get into it. While the deliveries are the focus of the gameplay the way they're used in combination with the storytelling and world building (and by that I mean literally, you're building parts of the world in conjunction with other online players to make getting around easier) was special to me. There really is nothing like it out there and I never felt like the gameplay was boring or a slog.

Didn’t they add QoL updates to make it less annoying? If so, maybe I’ll give it another shot.

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

Aight. I just remember the traversal feeling like a slog. 

The beginning is the toughest you don't have any tools or abilities so you're just slowly walking everywhere. It takes some time before things start picking up, though admittedly you will still do a lot of walking. The game is in many ways a form of 'walking simulator', but with an engrossing world and a ton of gameplay depth surrounding it.

On 2022-12-09 at 5:35 AM, Twinblade said:

I loved the game but the gameplay loop for the first part could've been way better. I actually liked the delivery stuff too, especially when it was something meaningful 

Spoiler

like the pizza you delivered and later found out who it was for

but so many are just kinda filler. And therefore the pacing just suffers, the story parts weren't good or not many enough in the first few hours after such an amazing intro. I still remember that scene when the first event happened, it was exactly like in the trailer. The last part of the game felt so cramped I wish they introduced some of them earlier and also some parts that I really enjoyed were a bit too short for my likes even though they kind of were concluded.

Spoiler

combat veteran parts, in ww1, ww2 and vietnam wars

BUT yea I LOVE it overall and I can't wait for part 2. I WANT MORE ANSWERS! I'm sure GODjima will just add more questions though :D