Why do people have gaming backlogs?

Curious about this. If a game comes out and I like it, I generally finish it before moving on. If I don’t finish it, there was a reason and I’ll likely never play it again. Why do people continue to buy games when they haven’t finished ones they want to?

ie I completed about 90% of cyberpunk, but it just got boring at that point. I’ll never play it again (despite owning it on disc, bought it at GameStop for like $4) and I’m totally fine with that. 

To me, it’s like watching half of a movie and then wanting to come back to it months or years later to finish. I’d never do that. 

Edited by ghostz

Many times I'd play a game like an addict but with a long game there's that breaking point after a while where all interest vanishes and it's hard to get back into it if it's not some top tier title.

It's easier and more fun to get something new and fresh and pretend like you'll finish the other game sometime in the future.

Also adult money lets you buy a lot of games at once. That lingering mentality as a kid kicks in when you had all the time in the world to play games.

Makes you believe you'll get a chance to play everything you buy but there's not enough time to do so.

Edited by bhytre
1 minute ago, bhytre said:

Many times I'd play a game like an addict but with a long game there's that breaking point after a while where all interest vanishes and it's hard to get back into it if it's not some top tier title.

It's easier and more fun to get something new and fresh and pretend like you'll finish the other game sometime in the future.

Also adult money lets you buy a lot of games at once. That lingering mentality as a kid kicks in when you had all the time in the world to play games.

Makes you believe you'll get a chance to play everything you buy but there's not enough time to do so.

Fair enough. I don’t play too many crazy long games, maybe that’s why. But I beat Elden ring without moving on after 100+ hours. 

Because when you game on systems other than Xbox you end up with too many good games and too little time to play them all.

On Xbox its easier to manage when you only have to complete the one Forza game per year.

45 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Because when you game on systems other than Xbox you end up with too many good games and too little time to play them all.

On Xbox its easier to manage when you only have to complete the one Forza game per year.

I have PS5, Series X, Series S, and OLED Switch. 

Zero backlog. Well, there are games I still want to play, but it’s not like I have them just sitting on a shelf or anything. 

Edited by ghostz
Just now, -GD-X said:

backlogs are usually games you haven't been able to get to  - period. if it's a game you no longer have interest in playing, for whatever reason, it's not in a backlog. it's a discarded title.

Well, that’s what I’m saying. If I start a game and stop, there’s an extremely low chance I’ll go back. I see people all the time saying they want to go back and finish a game they started a while ago. 

Just now, ghostz said:

Well, that’s what I’m saying. If I start a game and stop, there’s an extremely low chance I’ll go back. I see people all the time saying they want to go back and finish a game they started a while ago. 

they usually don't follow through lol. for me, there are several games on gamepass, along with triangle strategy, that i would like to start/finish. i just haven't had the time or i've been, mentally, too tired, probably because i do a lot of video editing.

I started forming a backlog because over the years it's been increasingly difficult to find the time to play games. With work, social life and the significant other the backlog has increased significantly... One day I will get to them... possibly.

1 hour ago, Quad Damage said:

closet lemming asks what’s a backlog

makes sense 

11 hours ago, ghostz said:

Zero backlog. Well, there are games I still want to play, but it’s not like I have them just sitting on a shelf or anything. 

16 hours ago, ghostz said:

An oled screen for 360p games :mj: 

I did try to go back and resume playing Zelda Ocarina of Time after having it on the backlog for over 20+ years, and I did have little bit more clarity this time around and YES the saves where still present.  But I still haven't beaten the game,  the game also kept freezing on me, which I think might be the N64 hardware showing its age.

I like to play old CRPG I missed in the days and I also kinda put other games aside and come back months later if they are quite long. I played Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity for like 3 years on and off now :D 

I rarely play the newest games that just released, the last time I played day one was GODpunk of course. 🙂

So, I have a backlog of games, but I don't make a list obviously I just keep them in mind. And there are a lot of games I haven't played yet.