Your absurd gaming opinions?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fuck, maybe I'm on the wrong side of this.

Story in games is the least meaningful quality of a game and the idea of playing a game for its story is retarded.

The Metroid Prime games are completely average at best BotW would've got a 7 max if it was on any non Nintendo system and without the Zelda name Phil Spencer is actually one of the worst Xbo

3 hours ago, Goukosan said:

GOW peaked at 2 and the rest have been average at best. If it wasn't called  GOW and Ragnarok was an Xbox game it would scored  a 7 at best. 

Story in games are important, for the first play through... After that if the gameplay isn't great the second play through ends up being trash... Or doesn't happen at all....You then realize that gameplay is king and much more important than story because it's the gameplay that will keep you continually revisiting a classic game .. Not the story. 

The Sony Spiderman games are re-skinned Rocksteady Batman games just not nearly as good as said batman games. 

GOW gameplay is phenomenal. You are talking nonsense.

Spiderman games have stronger gameplay than the Arkham games but weaker story

Story matters because it elevates the experience to a level that games with bad stories never reach. And that includes elements like strong world building.

Replayability is irrelevent. I will take a 10/10 first play through over an 8/10 game with replayability

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Voidler said:

Story matters because it elevates the experience to a level that games with bad stories never reach. And that includes elements like strong world building.

Replayability is irrelevent. I will take a 10/10 first play through over an 8/10 game with replayability

That's my opinion on the last few GOW, decent at best. 

Im not saying the Spiderman games aren't great, but it feels like the Batman games with a Spiderman skin.. Down to the steath skills, the combat, side missions etc. 

How's the story in rocket league? How many years have you been replaying that? :umad:

Did you read what I said cleary? I didn't say story doesn't matter.... I said it does matter.. Just that gameplay matters more. 

No matter how great the story is, if the gameplay is broken... The game is trash. 

Edited by Goukosan
4 hours ago, Voidler said:

Absolutely nothing about the last 2 GoW's gameplay is phenomenal :D 

I think story helps the player get connected to a game’s characters and whatever world/s you are exploring. While I know many didn’t care for Mass Effect 3’s ending, I have replayed the franchise numerous times because I love the characters and many of the subplots. The citadel expansion in ME 3 :wow2:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I'll take Vanquish over that any day. Metal Gear Revengance also better.  And shoutout to Nier Automata.

You are smoking crack if you think ANY of those games are better than Bayonetta. Vanquish has a severe lack of enemy variety and bosses. Nier's combat is just a heavily watered down Bayo. And MGR is all flash and no substance.

9 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Is that the one with the teammate "loyalty" system?

Yeah and the way the robots would break apart was just awesome looking

Just watched one of the trailers and it really brought back some good memories

The story was legitimately one of the most interesting stories in any shooter that gen. You could really see the Yakuza influence (the Yakuza studio were the main team who developed it).

While the trust system wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been, it did lead to some interesting choices and there were extra scenes (like romance scenes) with characters depending on your relationshop with them.

It actually had some ambitious ideas as far as TPSs of that time were concerned.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Goukosan said:

That's my opinion on the last few GOW, decent at best. 

Im not saying the Spiderman games aren't great, but it feels like the Batman games with a Spiderman skin.. Down to the steath skills, the combat, side missions etc. 

How's the story in rocket league? How many years have you been replaying that? :umad:

Did you read what I said cleary? I didn't say story doesn't matter.... I said it does matter.. Just that gameplay matters more. 

No matter how great the story is, if the gameplay is broken... The game is trash. 

I like Arkham more but the reason I like it more is the world building, story, art and characters are done better. The actual core mechanics of Spiderman are much better - it has better combat, a better upgrade system, better traversal mechanics. It's actually a great example of how elements of story are the thing that differentiates the good from great

I agree a game with poor gameplay is still going to be a lesser experience - eg I cant stomach RDR2. But when we are talking the best of gaming it is often that the gameplay is great already.

For me you can't have a truly great single player game if you don't get story right. If you just nail the gameplay you will cap out at a 9/10. But if you deliver the story as well then we start to get the 10/10 games that stick with me forever. 

And it's not an uncommon sentiment. If gameplay was all people were looking for then TLOU2 would never have been divisive.

And as much as I love Rocket League it is a multiplayer game, it's not one that can fundamentally impact me emotionally like a well done story game can.

29 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I like Arkham more but the reason I like it more is the world building, story, art and characters are done better. The actual core mechanics of Spiderman are much better - it has better combat, a better upgrade system, better traversal mechanics. It's actually a great example of how elements of story are the thing that differentiates the good from great

I agree a game with poor gameplay is still going to be a lesser experience - eg I cant stomach RDR2. But when we are talking the best of gaming it is often that the gameplay is great already.

For me you can't have a truly great single player game if you don't get story right. If you just nail the gameplay you will cap out at a 9/10. But if you deliver the story as well then we start to get the 10/10 games that stick with me forever. 

And it's not an uncommon sentiment. If gameplay was all people were looking for then TLOU2 would never have been divisive.

And as much as I love Rocket League it is a multiplayer game, it's not one that can fundamentally impact me emotionally like a well done story game can.

Not claiming Spiderman is a carbon copy... But you can see the Arkham template throughout the game modified to fit how Spiderman would traverse a city. 

The stealth sections in Miles Morales is strait out of Arkham though... Down to the stringing the guys up. 

No doubt great story + great gameplay = the best.... not denying that. 

But you said it yourself... Great gameplay alone can get you to a 9.0 quality game. 

Whereas great story alone and broken gameplay would be a trash 4.0 game.

Edited by Goukosan

Elden ring had essentially no story that I could tell. The only cool part story wise was 

Spoiler

The tree burning

a great story is absolutely a good thing, but a bad story doesn’t hurt a game in anyway imo. It takes two was a dumb story but the gameplay is what carried it to GOTY. Same with Elden Ring. 

2 hours ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Elden ring had essentially no story that I could tell. The only cool part story wise was 

Reveal hidden contents

The tree burning

a great story is absolutely a good thing, but a bad story doesn’t hurt a game in anyway imo. It takes two was a dumb story but the gameplay is what carried it to GOTY. Same with Elden Ring. 

Elden Ring has some of the deepest lore and world building around. It may not surface in long cutscenes but the effort they put into the backstories and lore is found all throughout the descriptions and hidden conversations. Having all that work put into the lore is what makes their worlds feel so well realised. It's the biggest difference between From Software and the million clones out there

22 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Elden Ring has some of the deepest lore and world building around. It may not surface in long cutscenes but the effort they put into the backstories and lore is found all throughout the descriptions and hidden conversations. Having all that work put into the lore is what makes their worlds feel so well realised. It's the biggest difference between From Software and the million clones out there

Didn’t pay attention to one bit of it. Great game based on gameplay 

7 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Minish cap >>>

I liked Minish Cap a lot but it was fairly easy. I beat it in a day. A Link Between Worlds is an open world A Link to the Past. The dungeons were awesome, the puzzles were great. It’s the probably the best the franchise has ever done. If Tears of the Kingdom can just add legit dungeons, it can be great. 

22 minutes ago, Ike said:

I liked Minish Cap a lot but it was fairly easy. I beat it in a day. A Link Between Worlds is an open world A Link to the Past. The dungeons were awesome, the puzzles were great. It’s the probably the best the franchise has ever done. If Tears of the Kingdom can just add legit dungeons, it can be great. 

I just loved Minish Cap’s awesome level design. But A Link Between Worlds was awesome, way better than BOTW.