Supermassive PSVR2 Horror Game Will Feature Eye Blinking-Responsive Enemies

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

so it appears they successfully changed weapons off a wheel GUI design with their eyes.

I'll finish the rest of the detail in this second, because it directly answer's Ramza's post

Look at that gif, look at the blue eye thing on the left side, and look at the upper-most part where there's a blue-dot

Notice that a circle expanded, and at the same time (on the right-side) the weapon was selected.

That could indicate you choosing the weapon by expanding your pupil to confirm the selection.

I see it but I still think it's just where he's looking at, makes perfect sense to me.

Whatever, let's wait for an official statement. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sony deserves huge credit for being the only one doing VR. Major appeal of the system.

Well we can't control our pupils on demand like that. You can change your focal plane or focus on something lighter/darker to force your pupil to constrict or expand, but neither of those works well w

It depends on how immersive you want your games to be. Just look at sims like DCS. I tried it out, and you literally have to follow a checklist to correctly start up the engine. Like starting the APU,

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

That could indicate you choosing the weapon by expanding your pupil to confirm the selection.

Well we can't control our pupils on demand like that. You can change your focal plane or focus on something lighter/darker to force your pupil to constrict or expand, but neither of those works well with a quick select menu and you're focusing on your selection.

Did you mean widening your eyes? I still don't think that really makes sense as a control scheme as it's going to be just as prone to involuntary movement as blinking while being less accurate.

I'd guess that blue part growing isn't indicative of anything and the control scheme is hold a button to bring up the weapon swap menu, look at what you want to equip, and release. It's a launch window competitive shooter, I don't think they're going to try anything fancy.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

Well we can't control our pupils on demand like that. You can change your focal plane or focus on something lighter/darker to force your pupil to constrict or expand, but neither of those works well with a quick select menu and you're focusing on your selection.

Did you mean widening your eyes? I still don't think that really makes sense as a control scheme as it's going to be just as prone to involuntary movement as blinking while being less accurate.

I'd guess that blue part growing isn't indicative of anything and the control scheme is hold a button to bring up the weapon swap menu, look at what you want to equip, and release. It's a launch window competitive shooter, I don't think they're going to try anything fancy.

you can control your pupils by focusing on a far-sighting or near-sighted object.

On 2022-12-30 at 8:57 AM, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Agreed. Seems like a dumb gimmick, as 99.9% of VR is, but at least they’re trying to innovate. 

Another stupid on Rails game tho, smh. VR is a joke. 

Sims are perfect for VR, though there are hardware limitations for games like Microsoft Flight  Sim. It's hard to get that game to run stable and look decent. 

Or playing games like Pavlov where you need to actually reload the gun instead of pressing a button to initiate an animation. 

4 hours ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

This is dumb and just a waste of time. 

It depends on how immersive you want your games to be. Just look at sims like DCS. I tried it out, and you literally have to follow a checklist to correctly start up the engine. Like starting the APU, fuel pumps, ignition, etc.

Or same reason people play  MilSims, or same reason people want sim racers. 

But is that not the entire point of VR? To place you into a completely different reality? We often see videogames in general, as a way of escapism, but VR has taken that a step further. Ya, reloading a gun manually seems stupid, but the feeling of actually  dropping a mag, sticking a new one in, and pulling back the charging handle is a pretty amazing eperience. Sure, Modern Warfare has amazing reloading animations, credit to the animator. But now, in an intense gunfight, now it's you. You are the animation, you are the one who has to be quick. You could forget to pull the charge handle, or drop your magazine etc. 

Then there's the aiming, you actually have to aim, not just hold R1 and let the animation do it for you. The principle mechanics of aiming are important this time. Now you are physically immersed in the game. You can run and shoot blindly to your right, you can actually peak out into any direction, and even do hand signals to teammates.

Then there's full body immersion. Many games actually have this mechanic ready, provided you have the hardware. It's more expensive, but imo, all you need is a waist tracker. It's like a belt buckle, but it essentially tracks your body movement. Without it, the VR turns left or right based on either turning the thumbstick, or physically turning your head. With a a waist tracker, you can move your head seperate from the rest of your body. So you can run in one direction, and look in another. When you crouch, you can actually crouch your legs and still move the upper half off your body.

Ya, it can beg the question as to "Why?. 

Because again, people love that sort of immersion. To feel like you're actually there. That's the entire point of a videogame.

• Upvote 1