Last of Us sales spike after first ep of show.

Yeah, this is gonna become the new marketing gimmick for gaming. 

Something I never thought I would see. Back in the days, they made cheap, licensed, cash-in games to capitalize on the release of a movie, not expensive movies/TV shows to capitalize on the game. 

Yup, I knew this was gonna happen when I saw the way The Witcher on Netflix boosted Witcher 3 sales for CDPR. The same thing also happened for Edgerunners and CP2077.

This is the future of gaming now. 

These companies are gonna be making TV shows and movies to boost the popularity of games while also making money from the TV shows and movies.

It's a perfect business model especially for a company like Sony that specializes in both movies and games. MS saw this too and that's why they tried to capitalize on the Halo TV show release when Halo Infinite launched. Unfortunately for MS, both the Halo TV show and Halo Infinite were dogshit and they ended of falling flat on their faces :kaz:

11 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I have a hard time seeing how God of War could translate to TV, which they're trying to do. And wtf at a Gran Turismo movie.

God of War is the only one I have a hard time seeing working. After seeing the GT movie trailer I’m a believer. It’s not gonna be a big hit but I can see it being successful enough for what it is and selling a few extra GT copies.

19 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I have a hard time seeing how God of War could translate to TV, which they're trying to do. And wtf at a Gran Turismo movie.

God of War show will suck but it's still marketing and will still push copies. 

GT movie actually looks decent surprisingly enough.

Either way it's about growing the IP 

10 hours ago, Ramza said:

Yeah, this is gonna become the new marketing gimmick for gaming. 

Something I never thought I would see. Back in the days, they made cheap, licensed, cash-in games to capitalize on the release of a movie, not expensive movies/TV shows to capitalize on the game. 

I'm just glad to see the source material actually being taken seriously. Of course they add their own twist to it, but it still respects it.

The same shit I wish they did for the first Resident Evil movie, and the Doom movie. Stop changing the story dammit. And the Silent Hill movie was at least faithful aswell. Given that it was switched with the mom instead of the dad, I didn't care too much. I loved that they used the soundtrack and stuck with the premise.

Really disappointed that the new Resident Evil movie was trash. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Chicano3000X said:

I'm just glad to see the source material actually being taken seriously. Of course they add their own twist to it, but it still respects it.

The same shit I wish they did for the first Resident Evil movie, and the Doom movie. Stop changing the story dammit. And the Silent Hill movie was at least faithful aswell. Given that it was switched with the mom instead of the dad, I didn't care too much. I loved that they used the soundtrack and stuck with the premise.

Really disappointed that the new Resident Evil movie was trash. 

I hear you. It's really annoying when they barely resemble the games they are based on because you know the producers/directors don't actually care about the games at all.

Resident Evil is a good example because it actually has cool characters and a fun story that could be easily made into a movie without too much changes to the overall premise. Yet, they always go out their way to make some stupid fucking shit that ends up even more corny than the source materials. Capcom needs to get involved more and tell them their original ideas are fucking terrible. Lol. 

19 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Parts of the new RE movie were actually faithful to the game but holy fuck was the whole thing trash. They took some of those moments from the game but then proceeded to shit all over them and make them 1000x worse.

Haven't seen that, sounds like garbage.

I was thinking of the Milla Jovovich movies which were incredibly dumb. The RE source materials was basically amounted to cameos and actors in cheap RE cosplay. 

That's how you build an IP.

Its what is going to save Cyberpunk, and give CDPR the ability to fund sequels, to hopefully improve and build upon the IP.

If Sony is smart, they should absolutely start looking for graphic novel or books to think about converting them into both games and movies/tv shows.

It doesn't work the other way. A movie studio who works on a movie first, and then some executive says "lets make a video game out of it, to release with the movie" is what usually results in a shitty licensed movie game.

Vin Diesel was the only person who got this correct, almost 20 years ago.

I don't think the secret to Last of Us' success comes from perfect fidelity to the game's story.  I'd like to see a lot more changes/surprises honestly.

The #1 thing they're getting right is adapting the aesthetic and tone of the show. They could easily add original storylines without compromising the integrity/quality because they've nailed the feel of the game. Original content could enrich the whole story, for noobs and fans alike.

Another thing they've avoided is gimmicky staging of gameplay. We don't see Joel going through a combat scenario with the shoulder camera, choking out 7 dudes.  Too often live adaptations of games try to do this, and it's a basic error. The Mario movie is going to be filled with this bullshit.

Screenshot from 2023-01-23 13-32-52.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I don't think the secret to Last of Us' success comes from perfect fidelity to the game's story.  I'd like to see a lot more changes/surprises honestly.

The #1 thing they're getting right is adapting the aesthetic and tone of the show. They could easily add original storylines without compromising the integrity/quality because they've nailed the feel of the game. Original content could enrich the whole story, for noobs and fans alike.

Another thing they've avoided is gimmicky staging of gameplay. We don't see Joel going through a combat scenario with the shoulder camera, choking out 7 dudes.  Too often live adaptations of games try to do this, and it's a basic error. The Mario movie is going to be filled with this bullshit.

Screenshot from 2023-01-23 13-32-52.png

Ya, but I think that’s sort of the staple of Mario. It wasn’t really a game with much attention to the story. 

As for other video game adaptions, ya, it would look incredibly dumb like the Doom movie’s FPS segment.

The best type of a video game adaption is for people to watch it and not feel like it’s a video game adaption. People would take it more seriously that way. And then they can be surprised when they find out that it’s based on a video game.

Everyone knows Mario is a video game character, so I feel like it gets a pass for that. Either that or you get the early 90s live action cyberpunk adaption that confuses you as a kid because how is Mario gonna ride Yoshi if he’s a skinny ass Labrador Retriever sized animal? I tried to picture Bob Hoskins or John Leguizamo on a small dinosaur and even my 5 year old brain that it looked stupid as fuck.