Just bought a PS3 Slim

I've been sitting on my OG PS3 and huge PS3 collection (60-70 disc games) since it's one of the most poorly preserved systems. The emulator RPCS3 has come a long way but still can't play many legendary games well enough. So I decided to get a used PS3 Slim (the mid-era revision), put custom firmware on it, and back up all my games. Then I can still play Killzone 2 or Guns of the Patriots when I want without keeping all this stuff in my house.

I'm hoping I can get like $700 for the whole lot. People are still paying ~$300 for a working PS3 with backwards compatibility.

• aitch 1

I rarely ever feel like going back to PS3 for some reason. Mostly all of the great games have been ported and I've exhausted the library quite extensively already. 

There are a few niche games I would be curious to give another go, like that Siren PSN game, which had pretty bad gameplay but a banging atmosphere. 

Best PS3 variant by a mile… just wish it still had BC. I bought a second OG 60GB PS3 about two years ago, refurbished it with new thermal pads, paste, etc. and works beautifully. Got it for a good deal because it wouldn’t stay on for more than 20 or so minutes because it would heat up. Has no issues now.

Edited by lynux3
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Ramza said:

I rarely ever feel like going back to PS3 for some reason. Mostly all of the great games have been ported and I've exhausted the library quite extensively already. 

There are a few niche games I would be curious to give another go, like that Siren PSN game, which had pretty bad gameplay but a banging atmosphere. 

PS3 is an all around great system with lots of exclusives effectively locked to it. It's probably the most valuable library of games that can't be easily emulated.

Sony ported mega games like Uncharted to PS4, but lots of stuff never was. The Resistance trilogy, Infamous 1/2, Killzone 2/3. MGS4. Motorstorm...

It's also got a lot of forgotten gems unavailable elsewhere. Puppeteer. 3D Dot Game Heroes. Folklore.

One I need to check out is the predecessor to Rocket League: Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

PS3 is an all around great system with lots of exclusives effectively locked to it. It's probably the most valuable library of games that can't be easily emulated.

Sony ported mega games like Uncharted to PS4, but lots of stuff never was. The Resistance trilogy, Infamous 1/2, Killzone 2/3. MGS4. Motorstorm...

It's also got a lot of forgotten gems unavailable elsewhere. Puppeteer. 3D Dot Game Heroes. Folklore.

One I need to check out is the predecessor to Rocket League: Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars.

that game owned!

• aitch 1
9 minutes ago, Ike said:

The Super Slim with the sliding disc drive top is one of my favorite designed consoles ever. :aitch:

I wanted one, but it sounds like the Slim era I bought has the best custom firmware support. I think the Super Slims are not fully pwned yet.

Folklore was one of the first games I got for my black lady OG. :aitch:   that pos had faulty cooler/vents though and turned into a fucking jet engine after 5 min of playing, so I sent it back to amazon, but kept the controller and still got a full refund :bate: then bought the slim version with it and still got some money left from it 

• aitch 2

yeah, I got a project 60GB launch unit that I am trying to fix, simply because I might have some PS2 games worth checking out. I originally had a box set of the Metal Gear Solid Essentials collection, although I may no longer have a use for that, because I think I bought digital copies of those games on sale many years ago.

And then I have a slim model as well, that works fine. I was intending to use that one as the hacked version. But I also was intending to play 3D Dot Heroes as well, I bought a used copy of the game disc. Also have the second Infamous game and the Motorstorm games.

Since I repaired my 720p/1080i CRT tv, I think that's the perfect place to make that hardware and its games look their best.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...