Biden appointed doctor who will decide new diet guidelines believes diet and exercise have no effect on obesity

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11675875/Gov-panel-tells-Americans-eat-says-look-evidence-equity-lens.html#comments

Remember when liberals actually believed in the science?

The concept couldn't be more simple. If you eat more calories than what your body burns in a day, you're going to gain weight until you eventually become obese.

Yet now all these doctors are trying to tell us that obesity is due to genetics.

They never even considered the fact that maybe the kids of obese parents are obese because their parents lead inactive life styles and eat garbage so their kids end up doing the same thing? Shocking, I know......

What the fuck is going on? Its like everything is rooted in a political agenda nowadays to the point where even the 'experts' lose their common sense :| 

Get ready for the new daily recommendations of high fructose corn syrup and insect proteins.  

I think general fitness is a bit more complex than just calories in vs calories burned to be fair, there are certainly plenty of other elements that factors in but no one reaches morbidly obese levels without doing something extreme with their nutrition or lifestyle. 

8 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Get ready for the new daily recommendations of high fructose corn syrup and insect proteins.  

I think general fitness is a bit more complex than just calories in vs calories burned to be fair, there are certainly plenty of other elements that factors in but no one reaches morbidly obese levels without doing something extreme with their nutrition or lifestyle. 

Of course there's stuff like hormonal imbalances and shit but the vast majority of obese people can get themselves to a healthy weight by just eating less garbage and more high quality food.

I just can't believe these doctors are going to start recommending gastric bypass surgery for obese kids instead of putting them on a diet and addressing the root cause of their obesity. The average scientist 20 years ago would have thought all this shit was pure lunacy.

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Of course there's stuff like hormonal imbalances and shit but the vast majority of obese people can get themselves to a healthy weight by just eating less garbage and more high quality food.

I just can't believe these doctors are going to start recommending gastric bypass surgery for obese kids instead of putting them on a diet and addressing the root cause of their obesity. The average scientist 20 years ago would have thought all this shit was pure lunacy.

There's an active effort to make people sick from the far left lunatics. This comes right after the fat acceptance movement, the new Government funded ridiculous food pyramid and now this. I might be wearing an aluminum foil hat but my Spidey senses are tingling.

Frosted mini wheats > skinless chicken breasts. 

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ramza said:

You hit the nail on the head. 

Funny enough, if Twinblade had watched the interview  that's exactly what she is talking about.  She is taking about how it's much more complex than calories in vs burned calories. 

She says that basic short term diets and exercise ALONE works for the majority of people, but those that are morbidly obese it's actually your brain that has now been conditioned to eat that much and your body is now conditioned to store more fat and then on top of that if you are also genetically disposed to be obese.... It will take more than a 10 week diet and some exercise alone to get out of the obesity.   It will take much than more than that because it's complex. 

It will take a drastic change in your lifestyle, a diet you can follow for the rest of your life (not just a few weeks), exercise, treatment (if you're genetically disposed for obesity) and the biggest change is reconditioning your brain to eat less... Etc. 

Daily Mail took her saying that and spun it to her saying diet and exercise have no effect on obesity... 

Another fake outage is brewing. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • dead 1
1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

You hit the nail on the head. 

Funny enough, if Twinblade had watched the interview  that's exactly what she is talking about.  She is taking about how it's much more complex than calories in vs burned calories. 

She says that basic short term diets and exercise ALONE works for the majority of people, but those that are morbidly obese it's actually your brain that has now been conditioned to eat that much and your body is now conditioned to store more fat and then on top of that if you are also genetically disposed to be obese.... It will take more than a 10 week diet and some exercise alone to get out of the obesity.   It will take much than more than that because it's complex. 

It will take a drastic change in your lifestyle, a diet you can follow for the rest of your life (not just a few weeks), exercise, treatment (if you're genetically disposed for obesity) and the biggest change is reconditioning your brain to eat less... Etc. 

Daily Mail took her saying that and spun it to her saying diet and exercise have no effect on obesity... 

Another fake outage is brewing. 

I don't disagree with the notion that it's a sort of mental sickness or like an addiction in certain individuals, at least in some the extreme cases.

But how is this reconditioning going to work? More pills I presume? That is not something I can get behind. 

5 hours ago, Ramza said:

I don't disagree with the notion that it's a sort of mental sickness or like an addiction in certain individuals, at least in some the extreme cases.

But how is this reconditioning going to work? More pills I presume? That is not something I can get behind. 

Sounded like some sort of therapy.. Didn't hear her mention pills from what I saw so far. 

Edited by Goukosan

Can you provide the real source and not an op-ed from a fake news rag? So we can see what she actually said, and with full context.  I am not able to find this quote from her at all.

More importantly I'd wait for her  guidelines to actually released (the ones you are future crying about). She seems very qualified.

This looks like fake far right outrage.

14 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Remember when liberals actually believed in the science?

Pretty sure they are still far better than conservatives in this regard, in general. By a large margin. Not something you should ever bring up. 

Especially on this topic which appears fabricated, did she actually say this?

Edited by Substatic
58 minutes ago, Substatic said:

Can you provide the real source and not an op-ed from a fake news rag? So we can see what she actually said, and with full context.  I am not able to find this quote from her at all.

More importantly I'd wait for her  guidelines to actually released (the ones you are future crying about). She seems very qualified.

This looks like fake far right outrage.

Pretty sure they are still far better than conservatives in this regard, in general. By a large margin. Not something you should ever bring up. 

Especially on this topic which appears fabricated, did she actually say this?

It's impossible to get fat unless you overeat above you basal metabolic rate and whatever work or movement you did in a day, that's all there is to it.

Just overeating 500 calories every day means you gain a pound of excess fat every week. Do this for years and you'll end up being a fat fuck, wanna reverse it without working out you'll have to eat at a 500 kcal deficit for the same amount it took for you to get fat.

It only means you don't have any sort of discipline to control what you eat or are ignorant or too lazy to know what you're eating. Processed food usually has tons of useless calories and little protein to keep you satiated.

In the end you're still the only one with full control of your mind who decides what goes in or not.

And there are many apps to track what you eat nowadays, all you need is not being lazy and buy a kitchen scale. Plus every packaged food item has its amount of calories written on the back of its packaging.

If you're fat it's 100% your own fault, all the rest is coddling bullshit trying to spare feelings. 

18 hours ago, Ramza said:

Doubt they're going to do this. Republican policies have been worse than Democrat ones for obesity, going by studies.

3 hours ago, Literal Nazi Rudolf Hess said:

She doesn't say what the OP said though. Think I'll wait to see the actual guidelines she produces, and this will (as usual) end up being fake outrage.

We already have studies that show the right are the ones who make the bad policies on this specific issue. Weird outrage is weird.

Edited by Substatic
2 hours ago, Substatic said:

She doesn't say what the OP said though. Think I'll wait to see the actual guidelines she produces, and this will (as usual) end up being fake outrage.

We already have studies that show the right are the ones who make the bad policies on this specific issue. Weird outrage is weird.

She said she believes obesity is mostly genetics, which is patently false. 

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

She said she believes obesity is mostly genetics, which is patently false. 

The OP lied and was misleading. She did not say what the title says.

The appointed Dr. probably should have clarified and spoke better:

The strength of the genetic influence on weight disorders varies quite a bit from person to person. Research suggests that for some people, genes account for just 25% of the predisposition to be overweight, while for others the genetic influence is as high as 70% to 80%. Having a rough idea of how large a role genes play in your weight may be helpful in terms of treating your weight problems.

Why people become overweight - Harvard Health

Genetic contributors to obesity - PMC (nih.gov)

Genetic and environmental factors interact to regulate body weight. Overall, the heritability of obesity is estimated at 40% to 70%. 

This is fake outrage, and nit picking at best given the above data. This isn't as big of a deal as TB is making it out to be.

I'd expect outrage at an actual problematic diet guidelines once she introduces them. 

But considering how conservatives freaked out over Michelle Obama's lunch plan and are bigger policy contributors to obesity going by peer reviewed studies, big doubt that TB actually gives a fuck about any of this. Absolute nothing burger.

Edited by Substatic
14 hours ago, Cooke said:

A pharmaceutical intervention is far more profitable than eating healthier and exercising. 

That's the slippery slope. It'll start with therapy then, ''take those pills twice a day to calm your eating habits''. $$$ 

Edited by Ramza
7 hours ago, Substatic said:

Doubt they're going to do this. Republican policies have been worse than Democrat ones for obesity, going by studies.

Tell me again which side promotes the fat acceptance movement and wants to create a positive image for morbidly obese people?

Tell me again which side coerced and shamed people into taking a potentially dangerous vaccine regardless of medical conditions? 

Lol at trying to pass Democrats has some kind of heroes of healthiness. 

10 hours ago, Literal Nazi Rudolf Hess said:

Obesity is such a simple thing to solve. It's not easy but it's simple. A little willpower would go a long way. And proper nutritional education in school.

No lucky charms are not more healthy than beef. 

a6e7f-16739770006543-1920.jpg

Eggs, butter, cheese and beef being ranked at the bottom is concerning enough. 

But...

Mini wheats (packed with sugar)

almond milk (which contains absolutely no vitamins or minerals unless added in)

chocolate almonds (like wtf, dark chocolate maybe?)

orange juice but only if it has calcium? wtf

honey cheerios (another cereal packed with sugars)

Being at the very top is fucking retarded.

The agenda here is to cut animal consumptions, which is why nothing at the top comes from an animal. It's also worth noting that dates aren't that great as they have a very high dose of sugar and watermelon are relatively poor in vitamins, as they are made mostly of water. I can think of a multitude of fruits that are better, contains more anti oxidant, vitamins, minerals while packing less calories/sugars.

Also egg cooked in butter > eggs cooked in vegetables oil. Boiled or poached eggs should be at the top of both and it isn't, which is absolutely inconsistent. This is wrong on so many levels.

Edited by Ramza
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Ramza said:

Tell me again which side coerced and shamed people into taking a potentially dangerous vaccine regardless of medical conditions? 

What. The vaccine saved 20 million people in ONE year. Most peer reviewed studies on it recommend it as do most medical orgs. Showing the benefits exponentially outweigh the cons.

You're literally flat earther level in this post.

13 hours ago, Ramza said:

Tell me again which side promotes the fat acceptance movement and wants to create a positive image for morbidly obese people?

Lol at trying to pass Democrats has some kind of heroes of healthiness. 

Nope. Just stating the facts. Sorry if they hurt your feelings:

The association between county political inclination and obesity: Results from the 2012 presidential election in the United States - PMC (nih.gov)

Public health initiatives designed to increase adherence to these seven recommendations have been generally opposed by Republicans. These initiatives include restaurant menu labeling, taxes on sugar sweetened beverages, size restrictions on soda beverage containers, reduced provision of pizzas in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), and reduced sodium levels in NSLP menu items.

Our results suggest that county-level obesity risk may be positively associated with established, county-level, voter preferences for Republican candidates who are more likely to emphasize a personal responsibility approach to reducing obesity risk than their Democrat counterparts, and who may downplay the role that government policies could play, despite the scientific consensus that a multi-sectoral approach is effective (U.S. Department of Agriculture, USDA, 2010). Conversely, county-level obesity risk may be negatively associated with stable, county-level, voter preferences for Democratic candidates whose political philosophy are likely to support multi-sectoral approaches to reducing obesity risk similar to those recommended by the CDC.

Democrats do better on this specific issue, which is why both Cooke and TB's thread's backfired. We see this in the above study, or by simply looking at the Michelle Obama nutrition fiasco.

This Dr. may have slightly mis-spoke on one interview (see the genetic studies posted earlier). But get back to me if her actual guidelines are poor, which I doubt given her high qualifications. This thread is toast.

This just ain't on the level of Scott Pruit being placed as the chief of EPA. 🤣

Edited by Substatic