Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output By 50% After Pre-Orders Disappoint

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Staying true to your username, I see. 

vr sucks dude. and its like 20 years off from potentially being good.

at best it's an alternative form of gaming similar to mobile.

Edited by Casual
Just now, Casual said:

Doubling down on your username, I see. 

3 minutes ago, Casual said:

I don’t think it will ever truly be good. It will always be multiple generates behind where non-vr gaming is. 

there are some novelties tho. 

5 minutes ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

I don’t think it will ever truly be good. It will always be multiple generates behind where non-vr gaming is. 

there are some novelties tho. 

VR needs to separate itself from non-vr gaming to become a thing.

like you said, VR is at best novel but generally just comes off as awkward and outdated when it's trying to shoehorn traditional games into a VR format. it should be its own thing entirely. there's certain things that VR has the potential to do well, but you're never going to get to a point where someone wants to play the next 3D Mario in VR (at least normal people).

the problem is that it's tied to traditional gaming platforms from a hardware perspective so it's natural to try to force those experiences. ultimately you're selling to a subset of people that bought a PS5, so your demographic is "traditional gamers".  in a perfect world PSVR2 would actually have nothing to do with PlayStation, it would be a standalone system that existed in its own ecosystem and had none of those expectations attached to it.

needs to get to a point where you can hit a reasonable price point in that context and sell the shit to boomers who want to throw on a headset and pretend they're in Italy or go bowling with their friends that moved overseas.

Half Life Alyx is incredible and doesn't require an insane GPU to play in 2023. Unreal Engine 5 for VR promises a new generation of realism, hopefully VR game development actually delivers it.  The new headset from HTC looks like a big upgrade in comfort over Oculus Quest 2 or PSVR 2. I think the next milestone for form factor will be smaller and more comfortable than ski goggles.

VR is one of the few bits of tech on the horizon that actually has potential. It seems obvious that we will all own VR headsets that we take with us most places within like 10 years. I also think brain computer interface will be the durable solution to many of the interface problems in VR. "mind reading" via computer isn't close at all, but simple concepts like "forward, backward, left/right" might be detectable, and not induce sickness.

VR will probably also rely heavily on cloud streaming services. I don't think there will be another way to deliver high end 3d graphics to a tiny wearable display.

VIVE_XR_Elite___full_kit___front_angle.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, sugarhigh said:

Half Life Alyx is incredible and doesn't require an insane GPU to play in 2023. Unreal Engine 5 for VR promises a new generation of realism, hopefully VR game development actually delivers it.  The new headset from HTC looks like a big upgrade in comfort over Oculus Quest 2 or PSVR 2. I think the next milestone for form factor will be smaller and more comfortable than ski goggles.

VR is one of the few bits of tech on the horizon that actually has potential. It seems obvious that we will all own VR headsets that we take with us most places within like 10 years. I also think brain computer interface will be the durable solution to many of the interface problems in VR. "mind reading" via computer isn't close at all, but simple concepts like "forward, backward, left/right" might be detectable, and not induce sickness.

VR will probably also rely heavily on cloud streaming services. I don't think there will be another way to deliver high end 3d graphics to a tiny wearable display.

VIVE_XR_Elite___full_kit___front_angle.jpg

curious why you think we'll all have vr headsets and bring them with us in 10 years? i feel like we're still so far off the point of VR not being tethered to other hardware - especially at ski goggle size.

if it has to rely on cloud we're screwed. cloud gaming is another thing that's a good 20 years off from not sucking.

18 minutes ago, Casual said:

like you said, VR is at best novel but generally just comes off as awkward and outdated when it's trying to shoehorn traditional games into a VR format. it should be its own thing entirely. there's certain things that VR has the potential to do well, but you're never going to get to a point where someone wants to play the next 3D Mario in VR (at least normal people).

the problem is that it's tied to traditional gaming platforms from a hardware perspective so it's natural to try to force those experiences. ultimately you're selling to a subset of people that bought a PS5, so your demographic is "traditional gamers".  in a perfect world PSVR2 would actually have nothing to do with PlayStation, it would be a standalone system that existed in its own ecosystem and had none of those expectations attached to it.

needs to get to a point where you can hit a reasonable price point in that context and sell the shit to boomers who want to throw on a headset and pretend they're in Italy or go bowling with their friends that moved overseas.

LOL

16 minutes ago, Casual said:

curious why you think we'll all have vr headsets and bring them with us in 10 years? i feel like we're still so far off the point of VR not being tethered to other hardware - especially at ski goggle size.

if it has to rely on cloud we're screwed. cloud gaming is another thing that's a good 20 years off from not sucking.

The latest headsets coming out (other than PSVR2) are way slimmer than the prior gen, which was way slimmer than Vive/Rift.  With 2 more generations like that, VR hardware should be much more comfortable, affordable, and popular. Inside-out tracking was a breakthrough for VR portability. Now it looks like outward facing cameras might even provide a better AR experience than the shitty translucent screens being designed for dedicated AR headsets. But that tech could improve a lot too.  Either way, several micro display techs are advancing. There's also laser displays that could be disruptive.

Wires are a dead end for VR. Ideally there would be very little friction to popping into VR anywhere (esp indoor). You won't have to tell it where the floor is or draw out your play area. It should just be smart about these things. The race to make VR ergonomic cuts against powerful hardware on the device. There's gonna be some on board compute for tracking and standalone functionality, battery, and lens/screen. A powerful GPU has got to be something external to the unit. It could be your local PC streaming to it, or some portable pc pack you carry along, or a cloud streaming service. Over the long term, I think the best experience will be cloud streaming.

1 hour ago, Casual said:

You're not making any sense whatsoever. VR is more than capable of regular gaming experiences, it's not just gimmicks.

No one would want to play 3D Mario in VR? The fuck, go play Astro Bot and come back to me.

Traditional flatscreen games have been making their way into VR successfully and it only enhance those games. I find it hard to care about playing racing games, sports games or flight sims in non VR anymore, those genres are automatically made better by the real life scale visuals and/or motion controls. I would never replay RE4 in 2022 but I had a blast playing it in VR and that's just an old Gamecube game from 2004.

I mean, you're going to tell me Half Life Alyx would have been a better game in non VR? Lmao.

Obviously you hold some ignorant prejudice over something you never really played for yourself. 

Edited by Ramza
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

You're not making any sense whatsoever. VR is more than capable of regular gaming experiences, it's not just gimmicks.

No one would want to play 3D Mario in VR? The fuck, go play Astro Bot and come back to me.

Traditional flatscreen games have been making their way into VR successfully and it only enhance those games. I find it hard to care about playing racing of flight sim in non VR anymore, those genres are automatically made better by the real life scale visuals. I would never replay RE4 in 2022 but I had a blast playing it in VR and that's just an old Gamecube game from 2004.

I mean, you're going to tell me Half Life Alyx would have been a better game in non VR? Lmao.

Obviously you hold some ignorant prejudice over something you never really played for yourself. 

racing games would own with VR.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Casual said:

That already exists. Meta Quest series is a fully portable and playable anywhere. You could go in your backyard and have virtual fights or what not.

Granted their GPUs are basically the equivalent of mobile phones, it's very limited in graphics output but it works like a charm already. No issue whatsoever. 

The upcoming Meta Quest 3 already has a more ergonomic design too. Don't know about the hardware but we can assume it will be a decent upgrade.

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

racing games would own with VR.

Wipeout Omega Collection was like my top game on PSVR. Beat all three games in the compilation. Absolutely loved it. 

I also fared much better in VR than on the flatscreen. Just being able to quickly glance up, left, right or down to see the upcoming track helped a lot.

• aitch 2
3 hours ago, Ramza said:

Traditional flatscreen games have been making their way into VR successfully and it only enhance those games. I find it hard to care about playing racing games, sports games or flight sims in non VR anymore, those genres are automatically made better by the real life scale visuals and/or motion controls. I would never replay RE4 in 2022 but I had a blast playing it in VR and that's just an old Gamecube game from 2004.

to each their own i guess.

astro bot is a great game in the context of VR, certainly doesn't make the case for 3d platforming games pivoting to VR.

this all reminds me of people who said they could never go back to dual analog after playing red steel.

we'll be having this same conversation in 10 years when VR is still struggling to catch on.

2 minutes ago, Casual said:

to each their own i guess.

astro bot is a great game in the context of VR, certainly doesn't make the case for 3d platforming games pivoting to VR.

this all reminds me of people who said they could never go back to dual analog after playing red steel.

we'll be having this same conversation in 10 years when VR is still struggling to catch on.

Well, there's no reason why platformers should pivot to VR. Both flatscreen and VR platformers can exist at the same time. Astro Bot just proves that it works.

Quite the goofy comparison, Red Steel was just a mediocre on rail shooter that couldn't even top real guncon arcade games like Time Crisis.

VR makes some type of games inherently better, it's just a fact of life. Like I was saying to GD earlier, the ability to just use your head to see things around you greatly benefits any game that take place in a cockpit. Combine this a with the life size scale graphics and it just makes those type of games easier to play. That's just the benefits of the headset itself.

Then you have the controllers, the first true 1:1 motion controls (nothing like the Wii and the embarrassing waggling shit). A boxing game is just not the same when you're actually using your arms to punch, bobbing you head to avoid hits, it's like doing the actual sport irl and nothing like the couch potato experience you normally have playing Fight Night or whatever. Again with the flight sims or racings games, using a virtual stick with your virtual hands, or a wheel just makes total sense, no need to actually buy extra accessories. 

I played a bit of Half-Life 2 in VR recently and I was just getting headshot after headshot (with red laser sight), I would use my left arm to stabilize my gun and I would just slightly lean in corner and rape the combines before they even know what was happening to them. It just wouldn't have been possible if I was playing the game without VR. 

Or when I played RE4 and I was shooting the blue medallions from super far away on the map with ease. Something that would have been extremely hard to do without VR and the bigger scale rendering.

Now don't get me wrong, there's room for both type of experiences in most cases. For example, I still love my old school 'boomer shooters' with a keyboard and mouse but aiming with a gun in VR is a different experience and one that I would consider superior because it simply plays better. I'm not going to stop playing regular FPS on PC though.

I think you need to experience more VR games. I'm pretty sure you would see what I'm saying here. I'm not bullshitting you and there's no need to be a war between flatscreen vs VR. Actually, I want more flatscreen game to have extra VR modes at this point, like RE Village or Gran Turismo 7. Everyone wins. Don't hate. 

• Like 1