Apple earnings show steepest sales decline in more than 6 years

"Apple Inc. posted its largest revenue decline in more than six years amid underwhelming sales of iPhones, Macs and wearables" 

"Apple fell way short in the December quarter with its Thursday afternoon report, and the company missed expectations by a wide margin." 

"The smartphone giant’s sales decline of 5.48% was its steepest year-over-year fall since the September quarter of 2016" 

The base iphone 14 is literally the same internals as the Iphone 13 pro.  This decline is well deserved :juggle:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still sporting my 12 Pro. Hoping 15 gets a USB-C port… even the iPad has one. Despite the “grim” news Apple stock is up nearly 2.5%.

I couldn't agree more. Any modern phone within the last 4 years would work perfectly fine in 2023.       The need to upgrade yearly ended over a decade ago, back then there were ridiculously

Yikes. I’m an Apple guy and iPhone 14 was a joke, not surprised.

2 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Yikes. I’m an Apple guy and iPhone 14 was a joke, not surprised.

I agree. I saw barely any point in upgrading from my 13 pro. Action camera is cool, but I can just throw shaky video in warp stabilizer via After Effects. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I agree. I saw barely any point in upgrading from my 13 pro. Action camera is cool, but I can just throw shaky video in warp stabilizer via After Effects. 

Same here, I didn’t upgrade from my iPhone 13, didn’t see a reason to. 

• Upvote 1

Big reason for the drop was this, btw:

Apple in November issued a rare warning about iPhone 14 Pro shipment constraints, letting the market know that shipments would be lower than anticipated due to COVID-19 restrictions. The ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ models were backordered throughout the holiday period, and as a result, iPhone sales were down year over year.

Cook also said that ‌iPhone‌ revenue would have grown in Q1 2023 had it not been for the supply shortage.

And here’s a tidbit about iPads and  macs:

Pad revenue was up 30 percent thanks to the launch of new M2 ‌iPad‌ models, but Mac revenue saw a notable drop because there were no new Macs released in the final months of 2022.

Mac revenue was $7.7 billion, down from $10.9 billion in the year-ago quarter. ‌iPad‌ revenue was $9.4 billion, up from $7.2 billion in the year-ago quarter. Cook said that overall, Apple has a "low share and a competitive advantage with Apple silicon," which means the company is "well positioned within the market" in the long term.

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line

I don't understand you people and your fascination with phones. I'm using an old piece of crap that my ex gave to me and it serves the same purpose as your expensive shiny new phone you bought last year. Meaning: talking on the phone, text messaging, taking pictures, some useful apps, google map. It's just a shitty, small computer that you carry out on you.

And I understand people even less that spend hours on their phone each day. Like, what's so important right now that you can't live a normal life and need to be glued to a tiny screen? Sometime I dream of picking people phones and smashing them on the pavement and give them a good fucking slap in the face. 

Worst invention ever. 

Edited by Ramza
3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I don't understand you people and your fascination with phones. I'm using an old piece of crap that my ex gave to me and it serves the same purpose as your expensive shiny new phone you bought last year. Meaning: talking on the phone, text messaging, taking pictures, some useful apps, google map. It's just a shitty, small computer that you carry out on you.

And I understand people even less that spend hours on their phone each day. Like, what's so important right now that you can't live a normal life and need to be glued to a tiny screen? Sometime I dream of picking people phones and smashing them on the pavement and give them a good fucking slap in the face. 

Worst invention ever. 

because your phone gets worse signal, is slower to send texts, takes worse pictures, runs apps worse (or in some cases, doesn’t run them at all), and is slow to load map info compared to newer ones. 

it’s like saying, why bother with a ps5 when you could just use a ps1? They both play games :ben:

1 minute ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

because your phone gets worse signal, is slower to send texts, takes worse pictures, runs apps worse (or in some cases, doesn’t run them at all), and is slow to load map info compared to newer ones. 

it’s like saying, why bother with a ps5 when you could just use a ps1? They both play games :ben:

Faster text messaging, 899$ well spent. 

The only app I really need are Shazam and googlemap. Works just fine. 

Just now, Ramza said:

Faster text messaging, 899$ well spent. 

The only app I really need are Shazam and googlemap. Works just fine. 

It’s much more than that. Better screens with higher resolution, higher refresh rates, faster cpu and  faster gpu (which the annual OS refresh can take advantage of) better battery, better camera. It’s not like they ever get worse YOY. They’re basically equivalent to sports games, generally modest upgrades YOY but if you skip a year or two (or more) you’ll really notice the increased power. 

No issue with you not caring, but it’s odd to see why you don’t understand the appeal. Better is better. And it’s something people use daily. If you refresh each year, the cost is only about 200-300 after trade in (at least with iPhones, they tend to keep their value more than other brands). There’s also carrier deals which can sometimes net you an even larger chunk of change for trade ins. 

1 minute ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

It’s much more than that. Better screens with higher resolution, higher refresh rates, faster cpu and  faster gpu (which the annual OS refresh can take advantage of) better battery, better camera. It’s not like they ever get worse YOY. They’re basically equivalent to sports games, generally modest upgrades YOY but if you skip a year or two (or more) you’ll really notice the increased power. 

No issue with you not caring, but it’s odd to see why you don’t understand the appeal. Better is better. And it’s something people use daily. If you refresh each year, the cost is only about 200-300 after trade in (at least with iPhones, they tend to keep their value more than other brands). There’s also carrier deals which can sometimes net you an even larger chunk of change for trade ins. 

I'd understand if you played games on your phone.

But at the same time you also suck for playing games on a phone. 

7 hours ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Big reason for the drop was this, btw:

Apple in November issued a rare warning about iPhone 14 Pro shipment constraints, letting the market know that shipments would be lower than anticipated due to COVID-19 restrictions. The ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ models were backordered throughout the holiday period, and as a result, iPhone sales were down year over year.

Cook also said that ‌iPhone‌ revenue would have grown in Q1 2023 had it not been for the supply shortage.

And here’s a tidbit about iPads and  macs:

Pad revenue was up 30 percent thanks to the launch of new M2 ‌iPad‌ models, but Mac revenue saw a notable drop because there were no new Macs released in the final months of 2022.

Mac revenue was $7.7 billion, down from $10.9 billion in the year-ago quarter. ‌iPad‌ revenue was $9.4 billion, up from $7.2 billion in the year-ago quarter. Cook said that overall, Apple has a "low share and a competitive advantage with Apple silicon," which means the company is "well positioned within the market" in the long term.

That's corporate speak Damage control.   Once they realized pre-orders weren't that hot they started releasing PR about "production issues" . 

If it were legit production issues they would have announced it a whole quarter (three to two months) before November.

7 hours ago, Ramza said:

Worst invention ever. 

I couldn't agree more. Any modern phone within the last 4 years would work perfectly fine in 2023.    

The need to upgrade yearly ended over a decade ago, back then there were ridiculously huge improvements every year with phones. 

Now it's basically minor incremental improvements yearly that doesn't make a huge difference beyond being a few milli seconds faster than last years model. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

I couldn't agree more. Any modern phone within the last 4 years would work perfectly fine in 2023.    

The need to upgrade yearly ended over a decade ago, back then there were ridiculously huge improvements every year with phones. 

Now it's basically minor incremental improvements yearly that doesn't make a huge difference beyond being a few milli seconds faster than last years model. 

Very true. Diminishing returns indeed. It’s rare for me to be like, “ok, I need to upgrade my phone,” unless it’s damaged lol. I usually upgrade every 2nd or 3rd version, since the deals are too good to resist. 

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

That's corporate speak Damage control.   Once they realized pre-orders weren't that hot they started releasing PR about "production issues" . 

If it were legit production issues they would have announced it a whole quarter (three to two months) before November.

The orders were back ordered. china wasn’t locked down the entire quarter. :ben:

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line
38 minutes ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

The orders were back ordered. china wasn’t locked down the entire quarter. :ben:

The phones are manufactured MONTHS before release date doofus. 

You think they start manufacturing it the same month of release? :drake: