Just beat the second boss from Hi-Fi Rush

18 minutes ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Is there any point to upgrading my move set?

You mean unlocking more combos? Of course, you get a higher score when using different combos. Also the RT attacks (like Peppermint's) are very useful and look pretty slick so make sure to get those.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

You mean unlocking more combos? Of course, you get a higher score when using different combos. Also the RT attacks (like Peppermint's) are very useful and look pretty slick so make sure to get those.

All I really use is the Y button/heavy attack lol. I do use peppermint when they have a shield tho

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line
2 hours ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Put your tv in black and white :tom:

Ha that’ll be even worse :D I played some cool portal-like game that was black and white.the puzzles were awesome, but I almost vomited playing it lol. 

On 2023-02-05 at 7:46 AM, Twinblade said:

You gotta mix it up, especially for late game encounters. If you only use cumbersome heavy attacks you are going to constantly be interrupted. 

I'm up to the final boss and literally haven't used a single combo outside of the XXXX one and the YYY one. mixed in with calling in the teammates obviously. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Mostly As some Bs.

Practically always get a S for Clear Time. Then A/S for combos or whatever that first one is but the timing one stuffs me up. Constant Cs

But also not really going for scores tbh. 

hmm the game is forgiving enough that I guess you can just spam the same few combos over and over again. That definitely doesn't seem like the most fun way to play it though, and of course you won't get Ss if you do that.

Not to shit on the game, because it's 'good' but I legitimately think it's a prime example of how hype/expectations influence reviews. The fact this was a shadow drop helped it tremendously critically, especially the time it did it. If this was revealed a year or so ago and we had seen multiple trailers and it had a hype cycle then I can't see it getting these 9s cause it's honestly a very basic game. From a level design point it is honestly nearly multiple generation old design. Very linear which is cool but then all combat is practically small designated 'combat' zones and waves followed by some basic platforming then another combat zone. There's no real flow imo compared to more modern platforming action games.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

hmm the game is forgiving enough that I guess you can just spam the same few combos over and over again. That definitely doesn't seem like the most fun way to play it though, and of course you won't get Ss if you do that.

Game hasn't once encouraged me to really do anything different. The only variations it has forced is the use of different allies for certain enemies. 

I don't really care about scores tbh (as in not going for them) but if my timing was good it seems I would be getting Ss. 

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Not to shit on the game, because it's 'good' but I legitimately think it's a prime example of how hype/expectations influence reviews. The fact this was a shadow drop helped it tremendously critically, especially the time it did it. If this was revealed a year or so ago and we had seen multiple trailers and it had a hype cycle then I honestly can't see it getting these 9s cause it's honestly a very basic game. From a level design point it is honestly nearly multiple generation old design. Very linear which is cool but then all combat is practically small designated 'combat' zones and waves followed by some basic platforming then another combat zone. There's no real flow imo compared to more modern platforming action games.

The level design is pretty par for the course for the genre, its not at all different from something like DMC or Bayonetta.

It might actually be a bit more interesting because there's blocked off optional areas that you can't get to unless you replay the levels after finishing the games.

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Game hasn't once encouraged me to really do anything different. The only variations it has forced is the use of different allies for certain enemies. 

I don't really care about scores tbh (as in not going for them) but if my timing was good it seems I would be getting Ss. 

Better scores gives you more of the cogs to use in the shop.