Started going to the gym. Still can't do much so im only going to start with a day dedicated to arms (Biceps, Tricpes, Forearms) and then a leg day. Did leg day yesterday and was surprised with how much I enjoyed it. Leg presses for example felt quite good. I also tried a few bar squats for the first time and liked those quite a bit but the bar did start feeling uncomfortable on my shoulder after a few reps so I had to stop.

The annoying thing is just how busy It can get (at least at the 2 gyms I tried). I often found myself waiting for some of the machines to become available so it becomes harder to get into a good rhythm. My plan was always to go straight after work but apparently thats the same thing most people do.

• Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the best shape of my life and this ain't even the tippity top yet    Started taking the gym really seriously after last year's final lockdown here (lmao vaxxies @Goukosan and their failed poli

Started going to the gym. Still can't do much so im only going to start with a day dedicated to arms (Biceps, Tricpes, Forearms) and then a leg day. Did leg day yesterday and was surprised with how mu

Alright, I think I'm done my cut.   Back down to 185 from 205 in September. Feel a lot better. Took longer than I wanted, I was pretty good at sticking to my diet when home but had a couple

9 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Started going to the gym. Still can't do much so im only going to start with a day dedicated to arms (Biceps, Tricpes, Forearms) and then a leg day. Did leg day yesterday and was surprised with how much I enjoyed it. Leg presses for example felt quite good. I also tried a few bar squats for the first time and liked those quite a bit but the bar did start feeling uncomfortable on my shoulder after a few reps so I had to stop.

The annoying thing is just how busy It can get (at least at the 2 gyms I tried). I often found myself waiting for some of the machines to become available so it becomes harder to get into a good rhythm. My plan was always to go straight after work but apparently thats the same thing most people do.

Yeah, that’s literally the worst time to go. Early morning is the best time (if you are working). Otherwise, any time between 10am-3pm is the slowest. 

• Upvote 1

I did upper body today, with more of an emphasis on back. I’m naturally chest/ant delt dominant, so I’ve been focusing more on pulling exercises (pull ups/high rows/ low rows/etc.)  

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I’m lucky my gym is pretty much dead at all times, especially post Covid. My gym is in the city which is essentially a ghost town now in Pittsburgh outside of the crackheads. There’s like 10 people at my gym at all times lol. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yeah, that’s literally the worst time to go. Early morning is the best time (if you are working). Otherwise, any time between 10am-3pm is the slowest. 

Im not a morning person so there's no way I could do early morning. Im gonna try a few more gyms in my area as im sure it depends on the location too. 

On 2023-05-27 at 12:22 AM, Twinblade said:

Awesome man! Showing up is half the battle. 

on the barbell squats, you don’t really want the bar to rest on your shoulders, should be down a little bit on the (very) upper back. That’s makes it more comfortable. I usually do squats first so sometimes I keep my hoodie on to get the sweat going, definitely makes it more comfortable. Towel wrapped around the bar helps too. 

and yep, it sucks being at a busy gym. The only time mine isn’t packed is from like 7-11am. After that you get the lunch crowd, then the after school crowd, then the after work crowd which is the absolute worst and persists till about midnight. I’ve been trying to go earlier but I do like to eat before the gym and also don’t like to eat super early in the day. Been trying to cram my oatmeal down at about 7 so I can get there for 8. It sucks having what should be a 45 minute workout turn into 75 minutes and like you said, rhythm gets thrown off. There’s only like 3 racks at my gym, I always start with a rack exercise (squat or deadlift) so if I show up and those are in use it sucks. Lot of old dudes that will go their for social interaction too so if they’re on the machine you want you might as well just leave cause you ain’t getting that shit. 

• Upvote 1

I got really fed up with cheap processed food and deep fried crap at restaurants as of late, so I started eating only non processed food. 

Completely stopped eating bread, rice, oatmeal and sugar as well. Only starch that goes in my body comes from baked potatoes. 

My days is like

Breakfast - 3 chicken eggs, an apple, and coffee (milk, no sugar)

lunch - pork chops and baked potato

dinner - chicken and raw carrots

When I get hungry in between meals I eat raw fruits and veggies or fast animal protein like canned sardines or tuna. 

I feel great since it's all very easy to digest, I don't feel bloated and constantly satiated. I feel lighter and more energized. 

It's easy for me to not cheat since I don't crave fast food or sweets. I'd rather eat another pork chop or chicken breast.

Only problem is I don't eat much beef since it's now so expensive. 

• Like 1

I did back-to-back upper/lower training days. I usually like a rest day in between, but I said “fuck it”…

My sessions are short, 35 minutes? (With warm up included). It’s 90% compound lifts with only 1 set to failure of an accessory move (calve raises/tricep extensions/etc). Minimalist training ftw. 

• Upvote 1

I went pretty heavy on the leg press by my standards yesterday. Lifted a few pounds more than my body weight, which I realize isn’t much for this kind of exercise but it still feels like an achievement because I’ve never even tried pushing that kind of weight on any exercise before. 

I really feel the effects on my quads today but I don’t feel much in my glutes. I did position my feet a bit higher on the platform because apparently that stimulates your glutes more, but I don’t think it made much of a difference.

I need to incorporate more glute focused exercises into my current routine.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I went pretty heavy on the leg press by my standards yesterday. Lifted a few pounds more than my body weight, which I realize isn’t much for this kind of exercise but it still feels like an achievement because I’ve never even tried pushing that kind of weight on any exercise before. 

I really feel the effects on my quads today but I don’t feel much in my glutes. I did position my feet a bit higher on the platform because apparently that stimulates your glutes more, but I don’t think it made much of a difference.

I need to incorporate more glute focused exercises into my current routine.

glute bridges and hip thrusts are great for the glutes and hamstrings and won't aggravate your shoulders.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

glute bridges and hip thrusts are great for the glutes and hamstrings and won't aggravate your shoulders.

yeah I wanna do those. I was also thinking of trying kettlebell swings but the top of the movement seems like it would put too much strain on my bad shoulder.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

yeah I wanna do those. I was also thinking of trying kettlebell swings but the top of the movement seems like it would put too much strain on my bad shoulder.

yeah, i can't say i recommend them due to your injury. are you doing shoulder rehab?

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

yeah, i can't say i recommend them due to your injury. are you doing shoulder rehab?

I finished another 3 months of PT and I’m not sure it made much of a difference. Im seeing the doctor again next week about it.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I finished another 3 months of PT and I’m not sure it made much of a difference. Im seeing the doctor again next week about it.

let me know how it goes. if it makes you feel better, a buddy of mine broke his collar bone and damaged his shoulder in a bike accident. he was able to return to bench pressing in less than a year, so the right therapy can go a long way.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

let me know how it goes. if it makes you feel better, a buddy of mine broke his collar bone and damaged his shoulder in a bike accident. he was able to return to bench pressing in less than a year, so the right therapy can go a long way.

Yeah I hope so. The doctor was overly cocky when I went for my followup a few months after surgery and seemed to think I was fully healed and just needed to do another round of therapy.

But regardless of what he says this time my goal is just going to be to strengthen the muscles around my shoulder and see if that helps. I was surprised the other day when I tried both Lat Pulldowns and seated cable rows and was able to do both without feeling much of any discomfort in my shoulder. So I want to make those my regular back exercises. Ill also try bent over rows to see how those feel. Pull ups still don't feel good so ill hold off of those for now.

Ill just combine those with my regular arm and leg workouts and go from there.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah I hope so. The doctor was overly cocky when I went for my followup a few months after surgery and seemed to think I was fully healed and just needed to do another round of therapy.

But regardless of what he says this time my goal is just going to be to strengthen the muscles around my shoulder and see if that helps. I was surprised the other day when I tried both Lat Pulldowns and seated cable rows and was able to do both without feeling much of any discomfort in my shoulder. So I want to make those my regular back exercises. Ill also try bent over rows to see how those feel. Pull ups still don't feel good so ill hold off of those for now.

Ill just combine those with my regular arm and leg workouts and go from there.

pull ups are pretty hard on the shoulders, despite not being a shoulder exercise. you may also want to do whatever moves you pick with a neutral grip instead of overhand or underhand. less stress on the shoulders.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, I know this is a fitness thread but I don't train, I'm only trying to improve my general health through nutrition and a healthier lifestyle. 

One facet that is usually ignored and shouldn't is sleep. Started going to sleep at like 9:30 pm and it's amazing. I never realize how sleep deprived I was all the time. Huge boost of energy but most importantly, my brain is firing from all cylinders. School has been way easier this semester. 

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

I'm sorry, I know this is a fitness thread but I don't train, I'm only trying to improve my general health through nutrition and a healthier lifestyle. 

One facet that is usually ignored and shouldn't is sleep. Started going to sleep at like 9:30 pm and it's amazing. I never realize how sleep deprived I was all the time. Huge boost of energy but most importantly, my brain is firing from all cylinders. School has been way easier this semester. 

Sleep is ridiculously important. Lack of sleep can cause low T levels.