Almost every major PC game is broken

49 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

the last "bang for your buck" gpu was the 8800gt. man, you could put together a beastly pc for under $1,000 back then.

fuck man i remember in like grade 9 building my pc

athlon 3200

1gb RAM

120gb HDD

radeon 9600

don't know what it cost but it wasn't expensive.

nowadays my gpu alone is probably more than that build. monitors are also more expensive now if you really want to get your moneys worth out of your system.

• Like 2
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the guy can't even open a rar.file of course he will have issues setting up his gamey pc and games, then crawls back to xbox and hypes the shit out of sea of tears and other garbage because he will no

Take a look at this form factor: https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-nucxi5-nucxi7?variant=43044971774197   You boot SteamOS on there and it's basically a console.

you wait until after the Super Bowl to play the previous year's Madden         .............on a rental service                

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Casual said:

athlon 3200

1gb RAM

120gb HDD

radeon 9600

nowadays my gpu alone is probably more than that build. monitors are also more expensive now if you really want to get your moneys worth out of your system.

i got a used 24 inch crt monitor back then for $100. it could do 1600 X 1200. doom 3 looked glorious on it! i would say the radeon 9600 and the 6600gt were pretty amazing budget cards, since they could run nearly every game maxed (maybe a few settings had to be dropped a bit).

2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

that's pretty cool!

Yeah, and any major company making laptops could probably spin out a cheaper version of this. Just mobile parts without the peripherals is an attractive alternative to custom building. I find pre-built desktops are either overpriced for rich kid gamers or business workstations with unacceptable limitations (bios-whitelisted hardware, shitty psu, nonstandard case that won't fit a GPU) .

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

you got a 3070ti, right?

Yeah the card isn't even high end and I still had to fork over ~$950 for it. Insane.

The main card in my last PC was a $500 GTX980 and it pretty much maxed almost everything for 4-5 years without breaking a sweat. Now im less than 2 years into a card that cost twice as much and I find myself constantly turning down settings to avoid stuttering and random framerate drops in current PC games.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah the card isn't even high end and I still had to fork over ~$950 for it. Insane.

The main card in my last PC was a $500 GTX980 and it pretty much maxed almost everything for 4-5 years without breaking a sweat. Now im less than 2 years into a card that cost twice as much and I find myself constantly turning down settings to avoid stuttering and random framerate drops in current PC games.

What res and framerate?

A mid-good card from a few years ago can still blast most games 1080/60, so long as vram isnt a limitation.

In comparison we're seeing Series S do 900p/30 fps.

Ps5 and xsx are doing 4k bur dropping to 30 in some games fideleity mode, and both use a lot of dynamic resolution.

Y'all keep chasing the dragon. 4k/120fps. The most common resolution on the steam hardware survey is still 1080p, and most cards can handle that easy. If you dropped to 30fps like consoles a lot of those cards could handle 4k too.

Pc costs more yes but people are always chasing way higher settings than the consoles. I don't know or anyone who uses less than 60fps on PC, whereas on consoles 30fps was the norm until recently and most games fall back to it in fidelity mode anyway.

2 hours ago, TLHBO said:

What res and framerate?

A mid-good card from a few years ago can still blast most games 1080/60, so long as vram isnt a limitation.

In comparison we're seeing Series S do 900p/30 fps.

Ps5 and xsx are doing 4k bur dropping to 30 in some games fideleity mode, and both use a lot of dynamic resolution.

Y'all keep chasing the dragon. 4k/120fps. The most common resolution on the steam hardware survey is still 1080p, and most cards can handle that easy. If you dropped to 30fps like consoles a lot of those cards could handle 4k too.

Pc costs more yes but people are always chasing way higher settings than the consoles. I don't know or anyone who uses less than 60fps on PC, whereas on consoles 30fps was the norm until recently and most games fall back to it in fidelity mode anyway.

Im not even aiming for 4K, Im just aiming for 1440p. There are too many niggling engine issues and a general lack of polish on PC ports that wasn't as common before. Look at all the stuttering issues, that was rarely something you had to worry about back in the day. Now even some people with top of the line 4xxx cards can't escape those kind of issues.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Im not even aiming for 4K, Im just aiming for 1440p. There are too many niggling engine issues and a general lack of polish on PC ports that wasn't as common before. Look at all the stuttering issues, that was rarely something you had to worry about back in the day. Now even some people with top of the line 4xxx cards can't escape those kind of issues.

This is correct. I'll be getting 90+fps in a game, but a hitch that only reports 89fps still interrupts gameplay. I have a pretty decent PC and I still find it basically impossible to get locked 60 with smooth frame pacing in most games.  Turning settings down to low doesn't even resolve these hitches.

8 hours ago, -GD-X said:

the last "bang for your buck" gpu was the 8800gt. man, you could put together a beastly pc for under $1,000 back then.

the GTX 970 was definitely close.

I bought mines in May 2015, I believe, from Newegg. And this was after that whole "only 3.5GB of memory" mini-scandal.

So I got it down to like $297 on Newegg, and it came with two games. Arkham Knight and Witcher 3, and I believe that sending an email to tell newegg about the advertised memory, they would give you another game for free, MGS5.

Hell of a deal. I gave that computer to my brother when he moved away.

5 hours ago, Twinblade said:

nvidia should absolutely do a trade-in program to get a newer video card at a lower price.

sorta like what Samsung does with their phone owners who want to upgrade and buy directly from their website.

On 2023-02-28 at 11:45 PM, Casual said:

athlon 3200

1gb RAM

120gb HDD

radeon 9600

My older brother got a rig with a radeon 9600 pro and that machine was god's blessing to me. grade 9 though? that was way before that.