High Cinema thread

Continued from sugarhigh's thread. Been watching A LOT of old movies lately. 

Double Indemnity is one of the best classic film noirs I've ever seen. Very gripping and non-pretentious, unlike steaming forgettable trash like The Big Heat and The Big Sleep. Made me instantly want to watch more Billy Wilder as it was my first time watching a movie by him. 

11 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Shout-out to The Conversation, one of the best gateway films to real fucking cinema imo.

I literally can't get into that movie and have to turn it off 30 minutes in each time.

It's literally just characters wordlessly staring off into space. 

I watch old movies all the time, just like I play old games. Modern media lets me down more than I like to admit, that I'm scared to try something new and waste my time. Though I keep trying my list for games/movies and shows is HUGE.

Last few I watched was my fav with my bro in law and sister, they forgot about that movie: Gattaca. Glad they liked it. Also Green Mile and The Game (with Douglas). 

Really old ones was murder on the orient express and Fantômas. You guys know that french comedian Louis De Funês and his movies? His movies are really silly ones like Leslie Nielsen. Everyone in EU loves him.

915621d73444f72a85b591105faf9f98.gif

Edited by kaz

I barely watch anything these days. I did rewatch Spartacus from Stanley Kubrick/Kirk Douglas not long ago.

And I want to rewatch the first two Planet of the Apes. It's been a while. 

22 hours ago, kaz said:

I watch old movies all the time, just like I play old games. Modern media lets me down more than I like to admit, that I'm scared to try something new and waste my time. Though I keep trying my list for games/movies and shows is HUGE.

Last few I watched was my fav with my bro in law and sister, they forgot about that movie: Gattaca. Glad they liked it. Also Green Mile and The Game (with Douglas). 

Really old ones was murder on the orient express and Fantômas. You guys know that french comedian Louis De Funês and his movies? His movies are really silly ones like Leslie Nielsen. Everyone in EU loves him.

915621d73444f72a85b591105faf9f98.gif

Based on what you're saying, give Ministry of Fear a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9QishZc5Y
https://www.criterion.com/films/28065-ministry-of-fear

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ramza said:

I barely watch anything these days. I did rewatch Spartacus from Stanley Kubrick/Kirk Douglas not long ago.

And I want to rewatch the first two Planet of the Apes. It's been a while. 

I go on and off. Sometimes I watch a lot, other times I watch nothing. Kubrick has to be the most impressive director. Guy was a Mozart like genius. Spartacus is one of his few movies I never saw the whole way, and I plan to do it soon. A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut...all unspeakable masterpieces. 

Regarding planet of the apes, I hope you're talking about the 1960s version. One of my favorite movies ever. 

I've never actually sat down and watched Barry Lyndon, so I am hoping there's some upcoming 4K blu-ray remaster, because that would be incredible.

There's a website in which you click a button, and it shows you a random still frame from the movie, to demonstrate just how drop-dead gorgeous it looks.  Every single frame looks like a classical painting.

https://www.everysingleframe.com/barrylyndon

20 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I've never actually sat down and watched Barry Lyndon, so I am hoping there's some upcoming 4K blu-ray remaster, because that would be incredible.

There's a website in which you click a button, and it shows you a random still frame from the movie, to demonstrate just how drop-dead gorgeous it looks.  Every single frame looks like a classical painting.

LOL you call this gorgeous? 

barry_title2.png

6 hours ago, jehurey said:

I love that movie, got hooked from beginning to end even though it's rather long. One of Kubrick's best. And one of the best biographical epics ever (or whatever they're called, Im sure there's a name for movies following a character's entire life, i.e. Forrest Gump etc)

and yes, it is a beautiful movie. Great landscape shots, and beautiful stills of his wife when she has his kids. Dont know what Ireland's beef with the movie is.

1 minute ago, z,warrior said:

A really good (and long) classic cinema film I watched is Russian director Tarkovsky's "Andrei Rublev". Also a gorgeous black and white movie. Well worth the watch.

One of the best movies I've seen. Unforgettable cinematography and deep story to go along with it. I think they haven't made a movie that beautiful even to this very day. Crazy that it was 1966. 

• Upvote 1

Those two Romero zombie classics are not high cinema... quite the contrary but definitely the top tier of B-movies. I can't believe you can just watch the full movies on youtube. I watch them all the time. Haha. 

10 hours ago, Ramza said:

Those two Romero zombie classics are not high cinema... quite the contrary but definitely the top tier of B-movies. I can't believe you can just watch the full movies on youtube. I watch them all the time. Haha. 

Those movies could count.  

I just saw the movie Martin yesterday by Romero. A really weird yet somewhat enjoyable movie. It's about a modern day teenage vampire visiting a relative in Pittsburgh. But the way the whole thing and dialogue plays out was...really weird. As if the movie is mocking itself yet being serious at the same time. Campy doesn't even begin to describe it lol. 

• Upvote 1