RE4 Official discussion thread

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Resident Evil 5 Remake. We've reached rock bottom. 

Spending time with the wife tonight so I can ignore her all weekend to play the GOAT. 

I saw this on twitter and had to post it. Its so ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

RE5 is their highest selling title, so that totally is getting a remake. Hopefully without Sheva as an AI partner option,.

Resident Evil 5 Remake. We've reached rock bottom. 

• Haha 2
On 2023-03-27 at 3:30 PM, bhytre said:

I want to play this someday :] 

Is it still full of small details like the original or is it a soulless remake? 

Yahtzee's saying they dialed the campy fun down quite a bit.

I finished a New Game+ playthrough. Some of the cracks in the design really began to show. It wasn't as enjoyable to replay as RE2R, which I played through at least 3 times.

- For one, the game is still quite long even when you try to rush a bit. Which wouldn't really be a problem except the game is probably 80% combat, so the lack of variety starts to get to you.

- Some parts of the design feel pretty outdated. For example I definitely started to notice more instances where i'd decide not to kill the enemies in an area to save ammo and they would just give up and stop chasing me once I move to a different area, typically the ones separated by large double doors. They would start to enter the area and then just turn around and leave even though Im right in front of them.

- The weapon upgrades are a real grind. It took me 2 playthroughs to max out 5 weapons but even then I was missing the exclusive upgrade for 3 or 4 of them. Those exclusive upgrades are insanely hard to get and I imagine that if you want to fully upgrade the weapons and get those exclusive upgrades, it would take you at least half a dozen playthroughs.

-Checkpointing could be a bit better. Sometimes you load a checkpoint and immediately get attacked, or hit with a QTE that you can't respond to in time.

-Ada's dialogue and VA is even more noticeably bad than before

So yeah overall i'd give it a 8.5 even with the issues as its a really good remake

In terms of how i'd rank it alongside the other RE games:

1. RE7

2. RE2R

3. RE4R

4. RE Village

5. :poop: 

6. RE3R

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

There is nothing campy about bad writing in what once used to be an atmospheric horror game.

I don't follow. Are you saying the original RE4 didn't have campy dialogue, it was just plain bad?

8 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Yes the original Japanese script wasn't so dumb, it's the localization so it was never supposed to be what it turned out. It wasn't intentional.

I'm surprised because you like a lot of campy 80s stuff. Like the Frank Stallone thread. But I can see not liking it in horror. 

Edited by Saucer
6 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Yes the original Japanese script wasn't so dumb, it's the localization so it was never supposed to be what it turned out. It wasn't intentional.

Camp doesn't have to be intentional. Unintentional camp is often the best kind.

I'm only about 1-2 hours into the castle, played about 7 hours so far over 9 days, which shows you how much I get to play the puss 5 whilst having a child and working full time. 

I've gotten to grips massively with the combat after about an hour or so, and combining that with the treasure map I bought in the village (and hence all the fucking money I made from treasure, 50% I would of missed, feels like cheating), I'm finding it pretty easy. I'm on standard and have died about 3-4 times and for bullshit reasons rather than a boss kicking my ass. I found I took down the troll thing and the village leader guy pretty easily. The dungeon guy in the castle with claws, I sort of remember that being dangerous but in this version that motherfucker went down with like 2 magnum shots in the back. So far it isn't making me think strategically, I generally have enough ammo to just shoot people up with ease. There's a bit of choosing the right weapon for the job and balancing resources but that's about it. 

It's definitely a fun game, its holding my attention enough to happily continue playing when I have free time and it's absolutely AAA in terms of the polish which has gone into it, fair play to Capcom. I'll probably end up scoring it a generous 9, boosted by nostalgia and an appreciation of high production values. 

The real question is whether or not Ada would get the D. The answer to that is absolutely. :face:

EDIT: Regarding the dialogue, they definitely don't build much in terms of substance (Twinkies point about being spoiled by PS first party is bang on), but it isn't as bad as the FFVII Remake which was cringe worthy for most interactions. I think the wider point is that Japanese developers find it harder to get the tone right, or just don't even try. 

Edited by Cell
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...