NHL/NBA Playoff Thread

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Briuns out of the way, I really hope my Dallas Stars can make a run. I don't know enough about hockey, but I did hear that several Western Conference teams are very close together in terms of their regular season performance.

I like that the Kraken needed to go to 7 games, and the Stars have a few days rest.

8 hours ago, Ike said:

Damn what a game 1 in the Lakers-Warriors series. :wow2:

Hard to see the Warriors winning the series with that non-existent paint presence. Klay will play better, but Poole will play worse.

33 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Hard to see the Warriors winning the series with that non-existent paint presence. Klay will play better, but Poole will play worse.

The Lakers have the paint advantage and the Warriors have the perimeter advantage. 

That 29 to 6 free throw disparity though. Warriors just need to defend without fouling and they'll be just fine. 

Edited by Goukosan
1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

The Lakers have the paint advantage and the Warriors have the perimeter advantage. 

That 29 to 6 free throw disparity though. Warriors just need to defend without fouling and they'll be just fine. 

I mean "don't foul" only really works if it's some outlier game. Kings had 32/29/23/18/25/27/26 free throws last series for a 27/game average and the Warriors were second worst in the league this season in fouls committed. Lakers were #1 in free throws this season and played more inside this game than usual. 29 free throws isn't that surprising.

Warriors getting 6 free throws is the problem. They were already the team with the fewest FTs this season and being afraid of the paint isn't going to make it any better. It's the Warriors so I expect them to make adjustments to pull AD away and open up the basket more, but it's just hard to see those adjustments overcoming a regression to the mean on Lakers 3s.

MVP of the game was Vanderbilt. He had Steph locked up all but the last 5 minutes of the game. Klay Thompson is that player in NBA Jam that just can’t miss 3s.

I think Warriors bounce back in game 2 though and get a semi easy win.  

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

I mean "don't foul" only really works if it's some outlier game. Kings had 32/29/23/18/25/27/26 free throws last series for a 27/game average and the Warriors were second worst in the league this season in fouls committed. Lakers were #1 in free throws this season and played more inside this game than usual. 29 free throws isn't that surprising.

Warriors getting 6 free throws is the problem. They were already the team with the fewest FTs this season and being afraid of the paint isn't going to make it any better. It's the Warriors so I expect them to make adjustments to pull AD away and open up the basket more, but it's just hard to see those adjustments overcoming a regression to the mean on Lakers 3s.

And was there a 23 FT disparity average for the king series as well? 

Not only that, you can't compare the ridiculous fast pace that Kings play at to the Lakers half court offense.  Warriors were reaching that entire series with the kings on every blow by. 

With the Lakers, they need to contest with their hands straight up to reduce the amount of times they send the Lakers to the line.

Obviously the Lakers STILL will go to the line more times than warriors because of the style they play.... But that doesn't mean they can't reduce the amount of fouls they're committing. 

Even with the Warriors only getting 6 FTs because they stayed out the paint, despite sending the Lakers to the line for 29 FTs... They were one dumb Jordan Poole ill advised 3 away from tying it up. 

Series will be epic though.. 6 or 7 games. 

Edited by Goukosan
8 hours ago, Goukosan said:

And was there a 23 FT disparity average for the king series as well? 

Not only that, you can't compare the ridiculous fast pace that Kings play at to the Lakers half court offense.  Warriors were reaching that entire series with the kings on every blow by. 

With the Lakers, they need to contest with their hands straight up to reduce the amount of times they send the Lakers to the line.

Obviously the Lakers STILL will go to the line more times than warriors because of the style they play.... But that doesn't mean they can't reduce the amount of fouls they're committing. 

Even with the Warriors only getting 6 FTs because they stayed out the paint, despite sending the Lakers to the line for 29 FTs... They were one dumb Jordan Poole ill advised 3 away from tying it up. 

Series will be epic though.. 6 or 7 games. 

I think I've addressed most of what you're saying here already.

Series will be really good, though. Lebron vs. the Warriors is always special. 

When they were booing, Deandre Ayton in street clothes looked all excited and shit. I think its because he knew he was going to get to go home early and start playing Zelda.:drake:He was gonna make his local Gamestop's midnight launch.

Edited by jehurey
  • Ike★ unpinned this topic