Official Zelda Discussion Thread

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I beat the campaign. Wow, I was so close on my first try last night  but it was pretty easy on my second (or my parry game was just way better this morning lol). As for the fight itself, the whole sca

At the 75hr mark, about 74 shrines in and im now about to enter the temple in the desert.    Still have 1 more tower to get.

Picked this up again to find all the shrines and do side missions and side Adventures.    This game is so jammed packed with content it feels like the DLC for this game was included at launc

Posted Images

On my way to the third shrine on the tutorial islands.   This entire section is just to get you familiar with the new base mechanics and abilities.

Will dive deeper into it tonight before playoff basketball. 

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

just picked the game up. Don't have too many expectations, I expect it to be solid but nothing too impressive.

edit: yikes, the graphics are extremely rough on my TV. The pronounced aliasing and shimmering shadows are hard to ignore.

Yeah the graphics do leave a lot to be desired but it’s all good. Games still genuinely fun. It’s a long haul though, I’ve barely made progress in 8 hours lol

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

just picked the game up. Don't have too many expectations, I expect it to be solid but nothing too impressive.

edit: yikes, the graphics are extremely rough on my TV. The pronounced aliasing and shimmering shadows are hard to ignore.

The shadow aliasing is eye searing.  Everything is just constantly scaling/shimmering as you move.  Also extremely noticeable when you stop moving and the resolution changes noticeably right before your eyes. :D 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

The shadow aliasing is eye searing.  Everything is just constantly scaling/shimmering as you move.  Also extremely noticeable when you stop moving and the resolution changes noticeably right before your eyes. :D 

I swear reviewers really do have their heads up their asses when it comes to Zelda. Both GS and IGN called the game gorgeous and it honestly makes me think I might be playing a different game altogether :D Even by Switch standards it looks like a hot mess.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I swear reviewers really do have their heads up their asses when it comes to Zelda. Both GS and IGN called the game gorgeous and it honestly makes me think I might be playing a different game altogether :D Even by Switch standards it looks like a hot mess.

The game's art can look great at time, when it's shown at a proper high resolution and not constantly scaling from low res to even lower resolution...  But yea, Nintendo gets a free pass with a lot of that shit.

Still though, despite the pathetic image quality which isn't done any favors by FSR1.0.... this game is technically impressive for the Switch in ways.  The physics are great.  It's nothing mindblowingly complex, but everything has consistent physics applied across the entire game.  On a device like the Switch with as weak of a CPU as it has, it's impressive.  But it's obvious THAT was the design goal of both this and BOTW from the start.

The Xenoblade games are still the best looking/running large open-world type games on the Switch.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Remij said:

That’s my biggest gripe. Though, some parts genuinely look amazing, considering the hardware. The FOV is pretty great for the Switch. But I’m sure it came at the cost of lower quality assets, especially shadows. 

• Like 1

In terms of the experience, I forgot how much I loathed the crafting in BOTW. I think I’m done for the night. It definitely doesn’t have that “crack gaming” feel I get from Fromsoft games. 

Just now, -GD-X said:

That’s my biggest gripe. Though, some parts genuinely look amazing, considering the hardware. The FOV is pretty great for the Switch. But I’m sure it came at the cost of lower quality assets, especially shadows. 

Yea.  It's tough, because both this game and Breath of the Wild have very nice techniques for rendering grass on the Switch.  The grass can be very long, and is constantly reacting and moving due to the physics in the game... so you have a worst case scenario where all these blades are constantly moving, thus accentuating the low shadow resolution.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

In terms of the experience, I forgot how much I loathed the crafting in BOTW. I think I’m done for the night. It definitely doesn’t have that “crack gaming” feel I get from Fromsoft games. 

The beginning sky island and first 3 shrines are just to introduce you to the mechanics.... After that the game opens up fully. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I got the hand ability and did the first shrine. Im hoping the puzzle solving doesn't just revolve entirely around the concept of manipulating finicky physics objects to overcome the challenges the game throws at you.

There’s a wide variety of puzzles. Did you beat botw? 

Just now, Tears of the Cows said:

There’s a wide variety of puzzles. Did you beat botw? 

The puzzles in BOTW were incredibly disappointing compared to previous Zelda games. The game rarely challenged me and if TOTK is just more of the same in that regard then its just going to be another disappointment for me.

25 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The beginning sky island and first 3 shrines are just to introduce you to the mechanics.... After that the game opens up fully. 

Yup. Just got there. That gliding part :wow2:  I’m very impressed with the scale in parts. 

1 minute ago, Tears of the Cows said:

The paraglider? You’re past the tutorial if you have that. Or you mean just jumping from the sky island?

Ya, when I exited the tutorial. I don’t have the paraglider. 

• Thanks 1