So I played my new Steam Deck. It’s awesome, but I want to return it.

The machine is incredible. It’s snappy and feels like a true handheld. I was able to play the RE 8 demo within 30 minutes (after initial updates). I played both performance/quality presets. The game looked and played great in both (pretty incredible in quality), and ran nicely too! But….

I got motion sickness from it, just like I did with the most recent kirby and Mario rabbid games on Switch (had to play it docked) . I think my days of playing on a handheld has come to an end. I will see how I handle Zelda tomorrow. My stomach is still turning. 

I guess I will go the gaming laptop route lol

22 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Put Zelda on the tv then don’t ruin the greatness that is to come 

in regards to the steam deck, idk, why play pc games on low settings. Don’t see the appeal vs buying a console 

Switch's top tier is lower than the lowest PC settings.

4 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Damn that sucks. Is it because you move the screen while you play?

Nah. The images are so crisp, that it’s overwhelming on that small screen. 

18 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Switch's top tier is lower than the lowest PC settings.

Yeah, it’s definitely a huge jump over switch. I was surprised by how good RE 8 looked and ran. 

• aitch 1

Damn that sucks breh.  Yeah it's pretty awesome.  Getting better all the time too... but there are some games which are still just a bit too much currently.  But that's more to do with just being shitty ports to begin with.

Like I said before, by the time the Deck 2 rolls around, the hardware and software synergy will be pretty fucking potent, and it will make a much better proposition overall.  The Steam Deck is an awesome device though.   At least you gave it a try :fblike: 

• Upvote 1
Just now, sugarhigh said:

So @-GD-X, do you think a possible Switch 2 will match Steam Deck performance?

I know you're not asking me, but I think it will land pretty close.  Perhaps a bit better overall.  Nintendo will make some beautiful games on the thing, that's for sure.

Just now, sugarhigh said:

So @-GD-X, do you think a possible Switch 2 will match Steam Deck performance?

I would hope so. I’d say the Deck is comparable to the Ps4/ Xbox series S, so most likely, especially since it’s not coming out for at least another year. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I would hope so. I’d say the Deck is comparable to the Ps4/ Xbox series S, so most likely, especially since it’s not coming out for at least another year. 

Yea, the things holding the potential back will be Nintendo's insistence on somewhat decent battery life, so the power limit, and of course the price.  There's only so much you can do for $400... and Nintendo wont be selling them for a loss.

3 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Nah. The images are so crisp, that it’s overwhelming on that small screen. 

First world problems :tard: When the image quality is too good.

Sounds like a shame as theres not much to recommend in terms of options. Well theres outputting to a monitor but that defeats the purpose of a handheld I guess.

It seems you're not alone though -

Not a chance on Switch 2 matching Steam Deck. It'll be like 1050Ti performance. With Witcher 3, Switch was compromised, sub-low PC settings. Switch 2 will be Witcher 3 at medium->high settings. It won't play PC quality Cyberpunk. The wheelhouse will be graphics like that Ubisoft Zelda clone Immortals.

spacer.png

spacer.png