DF - Asus ROG Ally Review vs Steam Deck: The Fastest PC Handheld... But Is It The Best?

53 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Yes PC is a mass market device as you can purchase pre packaged PCs that have fully dedicated user experience out the box where the most not tech person can easily use it.   Dells, HPs, Toshibas, Surface Books, Surface book pros, Surface laptops etc. 

No Tinkering involved, mass market prices and mass mark availability. 

Not for gaming no, not every PC game will work out of the box. Some require tinkering to even get them to launch.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

steamdeck feels like a console. it's amazing how quick it is to get going. rog will probably be a bit clunky, initially.

Ally will be even better when it runs SteamOS.

Im not gonna lie, these devices have given me a newfound appreciation for the Switch. While its hardware is clearly dated, what Nintendo accomplished a whole 6 years ago when it came to the size, weig

Posted Images

Just now, TLHBO said:

Not for gaming no, not every PC game will work out of the box. Some require tinkering to even get them to launch.

Yea for gaming, they sell prepacked gaming PCs. 

How do you think slow Jonny was a dell kid for so long? .... When He didn't even know how to unzip files :kaz:

But luckily for him and many others they sell prepacked gaming PCs as well. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Yea for gaming, they sell prepacked gaming PCs. 

How do you think slow Jonny was a dell kid for so long? .... When He didn't even know how to unzip files :kaz:

But luckily for him and many others they sell prepacked gaming PCs as well. 

Yes but not every game will work on a PC without tinkering....unlike a console where a game will always boot after pressing play.

Just now, Goukosan said:

They're working towards that, it's not there yet price wise or ease of use wise.  Where a non tech savvy person can pick it up from retail and have everything just work out the box with no Tinkering etc. 

Oh, speaking price-wise I 100% agree with you.  It's not there yet, but that's more to do with the companies strategic decision to target specific price/performance levels, than it is that it's something that's not already possible.  Also I don't believe it has anything to do with the difficulty for the average person to use.  I think ease of use is already there for the ROG Ally.  Sure they can always improve their software and front end experience.. but support-wise it's all there already and if you know how to use a PC.. you can use these devices.  The Steam Deck has more work to do obviously, they have a lot of compatibility issues to work out yet, and due to the fact that it is running on a different OS, utilizing different APIs, it's understandable.

Valve should be commended though, they're putting in a lot of work to remove the shackles of the Windows OS system and being in control of their own device... whereas the others are relegated to dealing with all the issues Windows itself has.  I believe that will pay off for them in the long run.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

So they're not mass market and you believe they don't have to be... Ok

So what's the issue with me saying they're not mass market devices?

Because the system wars sales obsession isn't connected with the success of the device. Every PC game is now also a handheld game forever. That's a permanent thing that changed last year.

40 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Because the system wars sales obsession isn't connected with the success of the device. Every PC game is now also a handheld game forever. That's a permanent thing that changed last year.

LOL what a stupid comment. You are trying your best to make it sound like a huge accomplishment.

It's a portable computer....I'm pretty sure they existed prior to 2022.

Portable pc gaming has existed prior to January 2022 as well. :drake:

Most of these people who have steam decks could've rigged their Vita or Switch to play the vast majority of games you are playing with your mini Valve handheld........2D basic indie games

That isn't an accomplishment at all. Because those people probably had access to native ports of those same 2D indie games on Vita and then Switch.

You do not play real demanding 3D games on that thing, even though you pretend to lie and say that you do.

Edited by jehurey
12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The GPD Win 4 seems like a pretty interesting alternative to these devices. I like how the form factor was modeled after the PSP/Vita and its probably more intuitive to use windows on it because of the keyboard + touchpad

damn, seeing a vita-looking device with a keyboard run fh5 :smoke: i can't wait to see where the market is in 5 years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

These companies aren't in it out of the goodness of their hearts it's a business to make profits. 

• NPC 1
59 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL what a stupid comment. You are trying your best to make it sound like a huge accomplishment.

Most of these people who have steam decks could've rigged their Vita or Switch to play the vast majority of games you are playing with your mini Valve handheld........2D basic indie games

That isn't an accomplishment at all. Because those people probably had access to native ports of those same 2D indie games on Vita and then Switch.

You do not play real demanding 3D games on that thing, even though you pretend to lie and say that you do.

Jesus christ get a life dude.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Its a huge accomplishment to squeeze an x64 cpu and gpu into a handheld. That's why it hasn't been done before.

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Jesus christ get a life dude.

go fucking cry somewhere else

you're not saying anything else because you know his comment was stupid

2 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Its a huge accomplishment to squeeze an x64 cpu and gpu into a handheld

No it literally isn't

Twinblade has literally shown you these types of hardware before in previous years

I have now figured out your entire bullshit shtick

You.................are a leftover pathetically angry Sony handheld defender from the PSP/VIta years

It all makes perfect sense now. Everything that you have been talking about fits into place when we realize that you were the dumbass typing those "UPCOMING PSP GAMES FOR SPRING 2007" threads.

You're angry that Nintendo mopped the floor with the PSP and then the Vita.

So you're looking for another handheld to "champion"

AND this explains you wanting Sony to port to PC........so that they can "now become handheld PC games for this point forward" declaration that you're trying to make us believe is a landmark achievement.

It all makes sense.

Its just a really long, roundabout way to hate on Nintendo from a disgruntled Sony fan. Its so obvious.

• NPC 1
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

go fucking cry somewhere else

you're not saying anything else because you know his comment was stupid

Get a fucking life dude, seriously.  Your arguments are pathetic.  You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.. and all you try to do is tell people what they do or don't do with the products they own.... that is if you're not accusing them of not actually owning them in the first place :lemming:

Piss off moron and maybe go follow Firecoward to whatever part of the internet he's sulking in right now :hest: 

• Geese 1
2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Get a fucking life dude, seriously.  Your arguments are pathetic.

no........you literally got mad about my screen usage habits.

you don't get to lecture anybody about "pathetic"

your a fucking loser who whines about bad pc ports outside of the forum.......and then comes here to pretend otherwise and be a complete fakeboy.

and you've been fakeboying throughout different decades

its not my problem that I've bitchslapped you so hard, so many times........that you are permanently in a bitch state

that's your problem...figure it out on your own.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

no........you literally got mad about my screen usage habits.

you don't get to lecture anybody about "pathetic"

your a fucking loser who whines about bad pc ports outside of the forum.......and then comes here to pretend otherwise and be a complete fakeboy.

and you've been fakeboying throughout different decades

its not my problem that I've bitchslapped you so hard, so many times........that you are permanently in a bitch state

that's your problem...figure it out on your own.

I'm not Jerry-go-rounding with you about this moron.  It's clear to anyone with two eyes that visits this forum.  Your arguments are ALWAYS pathetic as fuck.  You try to tell people what they do or don't do... or you're claiming they do or don't own a product to begin with.

That's LITERALLY what your entire schtick is.. and then you Jerry-go-round about it for as long as you possibly can because you're a pathetic fucking loser. 

That's not my problem, it's yours.  You're also the biggest hypocrite fake ass gamer bitch on this forum who hasn't touched his PS5 in 3 fucking months.  Haven't got an achievement on your PC since Nov '22... and you've been playing Xbox more, and more recently than anything else.. OMFG :lawl: 

Just now, Remij said:

I'm not Jerry-go-rounding with you about this moron.  It's clear to anyone with two eyes that visits this forum.  Your arguments are ALWAYS pathetic as fuck

no........you're just a pissy bitch

dude............seriously, you just tried to make a big deal out of a two year old port, and the forum laughed at you

you have credibility on the subject of "pathetic"

I told you a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.........that you clearly have temperamental issues.........you clearly have an issue with "escalation"

thats just a nice way of saying.................you're just a little man bitch

and all these years later.........I'm clearly right

Count to Ten. Do Tai Chi........drink tea........I don't care. You acting like a little bitch isn't my problem.

Thats your problem.........figure it out. You probably don't have the mental constitution to figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Well I finally pulled the trigger

image.png.024321b3454099f7171cccf06e49312b.png

:wow2:

i really don't know how popular this device will be......but I always suspect that these pre-built products frtom Asus may be subject to eventual discounts, if they're sold at retailers like Best Buy.

Honestly, I think eVGA has to be thinking about making a product like this. Because they already dropped making nVidia cards, so you'd imagine that they are looking into new types of product lines.

Instead of adding stupid shit like RGB lights to it, I would eVGA to actually come close to a real consumer-end handheld with a slick design like Nintendo and Sony make with their handhelds.

• Upvote 1