Can we all be honest about something? (Spider-man 2 related)

54 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

You said the samething about TOTK all the way up until release. 

You guys jump to conclusions waaaay to quickly. 

Nintendo has the tendency to surprise people with their games. Sony and Insomniac however have a history of putting out pretty familiar and safe sequels to their open world titles. The footage of Spiderman 2 was enough to convince me that its just going to be more of the first game and follow the same template.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the showing.

Insomniac are some of the best devs around, excelling at rollercoaster experiences and pushing the limits of open world fidelity/fx/geometry with each respective system. There’s a caveat, though. Whil

The city parts look amazing. That’s all that really matters to me, visually. This will be a fun rollercoaster ride. 

Just now, Twinblade said:

. The footage of Spiderman 2 was enough to convince that its just going to be more of the first game and follow the same template.

This is almost word for word what you said about TOTK.. Lol

LOL did some imbecile really say that these recent Spiderman games are not that different than the PS2 era Spiderman games:hest:

Secondly, I've already pointed this out, and there's a reason why nobody complained with that first teaser trailer from a couple of years ago.

The CLEAR difference is going to be in night scenes, or dark scenes

The spiderman games don't really have good looking night-scenes. You're going to see all of the upgrades to lighting and shadows and reflections during the night scenes.

I think its intentional that they created this gameplay video in the most blandest surburban neighborhood area during the middle of the day.

9 hours ago, jehurey said:

LOL did some imbecile really say that these recent Spiderman games are not that different than the PS2 era Spiderman games:hest:

Secondly, I've already pointed this out, and there's a reason why nobody complained with that first teaser trailer from a couple of years ago.

The CLEAR difference is going to be in night scenes, or dark scenes

The spiderman games don't really have good looking night-scenes. You're going to see all of the upgrades to lighting and shadows and reflections during the night scenes.

I think its intentional that they created this gameplay video in the most blandest surburban neighborhood area during the middle of the day.

What’s different? 

and yeah, I’m sure the thought was… “let’s show off the blandness of the environment.”:tom:

12 hours ago, Tears of the Cows said:

What’s different? 

and yeah, I’m sure the thought was… “let’s show off the blandness of the environment.”:tom:

The answer was clearly in the next two sentences. Thanks again for telling us that you have clear reading comprehension issues.

the thought is absolutely to undersell at first, in order to look better when people actually play it.

this fight occurring in a backyard neighborhood during the middle of the day almost seems like they intentionally went out of their way to put it in a bland area.

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The answer was clearly in the next two sentences. Thanks again for telling us that you have clear reading comprehension issues.

the thought is absolutely to undersell at first, in order to look better when people actually play it.

this fight occurring in a backyard neighborhood during the middle of the day almost seems like they intentionally went out of their way to put it in a bland area.

“They showed off the bad parts of the game to make the better parts look good! :lemming:

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Eh, Sony's never really been about underselling their big massive AAA blockbusters.  Usually, the pre-release media and trailers/gameplay is exactly what you can expect to see from the games at their best.  Even the original Spider-Man PS4 demo showcased probably the best set-piece from the game.

I think what we have here is Insomniac releasing many games in close succession to each other, as well as some technical reasonings for what we seem to be getting here.

Spider-Man PS4 - 2018

Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 2020

Spider-Man Remastered - 2020

Ratchet Rift Apart - 2021

(Help with PC versions of Remastered and Miles Morales)

Spider-Man 2 - 2023

Wolverine - 2024?

That's insane output.  Insomniac have essentially been carrying the PS5 since this generation started IMO. Obviously a lot of those Spider-Man titles reuse and repurpose assets.. understandably so.  They probably thought it's better to just iterate on what they already had for Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales instead of rebuilding an entire city and assets all up from scratch.  I thought that Spider-Man 2 would be that game, but perhaps that budget is going towards Wolverine instead.  I still think the initial teaser trailer for SM2 looks a decent amount better than what we're seeing here.. but we all know their games lighting and visuals can change right up until the last minute.  They usually improve things from their initial showings.. so something similar could happen here.

Not to mention, this can also be attributed to the price you pay for wanting 60fps modes and RT.

I think though that Sony is leaning pretty heavily on Insomniac to get them through until their other studios are ready.  Give Insomniac a 5-6 year timeframe to work on a single game/IP.. and they'll create something incredible.

Edited by Remij
25 minutes ago, Remij said:

Eh, Sony's never really been about underselling their big massive AAA blockbusters.  Usually, the pre-release media and trailers/gameplay is exactly what you can expect to see from the games at their best.  Even the original Spider-Man PS4 demo showcased probably the best set-piece from the game.

I think what we have here is Insomniac releasing many games in close succession to each other, as well as some technical reasonings for what we seem to be getting here.

Spider-Man PS4 - 2018

Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 2020

Spider-Man Remastered - 2020

Ratchet Rift Apart - 2021

(Help with PC versions of Remastered and Miles Morales)

Spider-Man 2 - 2023

Wolverine - 2024?

That's insane output.  Insomniac have essentially been carrying the PS5 since this generation started IMO. Obviously a lot of those Spider-Man titles reuse and repurpose assets.. understandably so.  They probably thought it's better to just iterate on what they already had for Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales instead of rebuilding an entire city and assets all up from scratch.  I thought that Spider-Man 2 would be that game, but perhaps that budget is going towards Wolverine instead.  I still think the initial teaser trailer for SM2 looks a decent amount better than what we're seeing here.. but we all know their games lighting and visuals can change right up until the last minute.  They usually improve things from their initial showings.. so something similar could happen here.

Not to mention, this can also be attributed to the price you pay for wanting 60fps modes and RT.

I think though that Sony is leaning pretty heavily on Insomniac to get them through until their other studios are ready.  Give Insomniac a 5-6 year timeframe to work on a single game/IP.. and they'll create something incredible.

I said this a year ago and everyone laughed at me. The games are rehashes. The IP is too limited. It is what it is, there’s nothing to expand upon. They’re bound by the IP. Insomniac is clearly talented, this IP has no room for growth though. @-GD-X, @Goukosan.. disagree? 

41 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

I said this a year ago and everyone laughed at me. The games are rehashes. The IP is too limited. It is what it is, there’s nothing to expand upon. They’re bound by the IP. Insomniac is clearly talented, this IP has no room for growth though. @-GD-X, @Goukosan.. disagree? 

Insomniac are some of the best devs around, excelling at rollercoaster experiences and pushing the limits of open world fidelity/fx/geometry with each respective system. There’s a caveat, though. While tighter gaming experiences are a welcome change after a gen of bloated campaigns (Ubisoft syndrome), I feel like insomniac titles are becoming holiday deal purchases, as opposed to day 1 material. After playing a bunch of Soulsborne games then TOTK, my tastes have changed. So, while I think Spider-Man 2 will be fun and can possibly add more to its dynamic (more playable characters with new moves?),I can’t say I have that “must play” feeling that I would have had a year ago. I’m actually looking more forward to the upcoming Lords of the Fallen - a game I would have shunned a few years ago. 

• Upvote 1
  • aitch 1
1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

Insomniac are some of the best devs around, excelling at rollercoaster experiences and pushing the limits of open world fidelity/fx/geometry with each respective system. There’s a caveat, though. While tighter gaming experiences are a welcome change after a gen of bloated campaigns (Ubisoft syndrome), I feel like insomniac titles are becoming holiday deal purchases, as opposed to day 1 material. After playing a bunch of Soulsborne games then TOTK, my tastes have changed. So, while I think Spider-Man 2 will be fun and can possibly add more to its dynamic (more playable characters with new moves?),I can’t say I have that “must play” feeling that I would have had a year ago. I’m actually looking more forward to the upcoming Lords of the Fallen - a game I would have shunned a few years ago. 

Yea, agreed. The Spider-Man and other Sony open-world action games are typically very similar...

"Watch cinematic, open-world segment to do missions, ok time for story again.. back to cinematic, do a linear level, cinematic again, ok back to open world, cinematic again... and on and on"...

Games like TOTK and Elden Ring are like..

"Watch cinematic to set up the story/world, go and explore on your own"...

There's no comparison as to which ones are more fun to explore and play for me personally.  Ubisoft and Sony type open worlds are like "here's the map, we've pinned your missions for you, go here to proceed the story" and Zelda and Elden Ring open worlds are like "here's the map, you should pin things you discover along the way so you remember where they are..."...  Both are fun, but once you get used to having the freedom and not being on rails, it's hard to go back.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea, agreed. The Spider-Man and other Sony open-world action games are typically very similar...

"Watch cinematic, open-world segment to do missions, ok time for story again.. back to cinematic, do a linear level, cinematic again, ok back to open world, cinematic again... and on and on"...

Games like TOTK and Elden Ring are like..

"Watch cinematic to set up the story/world, go and explore on your own"...

There's no comparison as to which ones are more fun to explore and play for me personally.  Ubisoft and Sony type open worlds are like "here's the map, we've pinned your missions for you, go here to proceed the story" and Zelda and Elden Ring open worlds are like "here's the map, you should pin things you discover along the way so you remember where they are..."...  Both are fun, but once you get used to having the freedom and not being on rails, it's hard to go back.

Exactly. Even older Souls games don’t hold your hand. It’s hard going back to interactive butlers. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Tears of the Cows said:

“They showed off the bad parts of the game to make the better parts look good! :lemming:

Except it didn't look bad, it looked exactly as one would expect it to look.

You stupidly keep on thinking that's the upper-end of the graphics abilities of the game.

So, you're entire point relies on you choosing to be ignorant.

I literally told you what parts to look at, and you're choosing not to.:drake:Do you think that's working?

The people telling you this game looks bad are the same people who spent the past decade telling you games like Redfall, Crackdown 3, Scalebound, State of Decay 2 and Halo Infinite all looked good.

Lemmings are not very good ar accurately predicting the quality of a game :drake:

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

The people telling you this game looks bad are the same people who spent the past decade telling you games like Redfall, Crackdown 3, Scalebound, State of Decay 2 and Halo Infinite all looked good.

Lemmings are not very good ar accurately predicting the quality of a game :drake:

Acting like Lemmings are the only people saying this looks bad :drake: 

Edited by Remij
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Acting like Lemmings are the only people saying this looks bad :drake: 

Who else besides you and Ghostz said it looked bad? :umad:

Everyone else said it looked good but they're expecting the same formula. 

You're doing some decent concern trolling... I'll give you credit there... At least it's not your typical snooze inducing drivel. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, -GD-X said:

BOTW did that for me 7 years ago,  Eldin ring rook that and further reinforced it.... Then TOTK  sealed the deal. 

6 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Who else besides you and Ghostz said it looked bad? :umad:

Everyone else said it looked good but they're expecting the same formula. 

You're doing some decent concern trolling... I'll give you credit there... At least it's not your typical snooze inducing drivel. 

Where did I say it looked bad?

I said it didn't look how I expected it to look..being only slightly better than Remastered and Miles Morales.

I had presumed from the initial teaser trailer that this game would be a massive visual overhaul... and I'm certainly not the only person who expected that.  Look on twitter and you can see tons of PS fans disappointed with how the game looks, and that they were expecting more from a PS5 exclusive built-from-the-ground-up Spider-Man Insomniac game 3 years into the generation. 

Even people in this thread, who aren't lemmings at all, are saying they're unimpressed..  Lynux3, Ramza, Twinblade :shrug:

Like I said, it looks good, better than the last games, but not close to what I was expecting.  I already gave some reasons as to why that might be.  Insomniac's crazy output of a game every other year or so, or wanting to include a 60fps mode or Ray Tracing, for example. 

So going by what I've heard about the interview with Eurogamer (I haven't read it), it sounds like there will be both story contextualized character switching, as well as the ability to switch on demand during the open world settings.

Pretty much what everyone expected then.   I'm guessing they'll have different enemies which are more susceptible to each of the Spider-Mans powers, and choosing the other will make it more difficult or something like that.  I'm also sure there will be cases where you'll have to rescue one or the other at times lol.

On 2023-05-28 at 7:37 AM, Remij said:

Where did I say it looked bad?

I said it didn't look how I expected it to look..being only slightly better than Remastered and Miles Morales.

that you clearly trying to say that it looks bad

do you think you're like a clever lawyer in court, or something?:Jeff:

you literally made a thread titled "CAN WE ALL BE HONEST" and you're responding with posts that read: "technically I didn't say...."

That's clearly what you're saying.........thats IF you actually want to cut the bullshit and actually be honest.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

that you clearly trying to say that it looks bad

do you think you're like a clever lawyer in court, or something?:Jeff:

you literally made a thread titled "CAN WE ALL BE HONEST" and you're responding with posts that read: "technically I didn't say...."

That's clearly what you're saying.........thats IF you actually want to cut the bullshit and actually be honest.

Right in the OP..

On 2023-05-26 at 5:44 PM, Remij said:

This is NOT how I expected this game to look...

The fast traversal is very cool, and don't get me wrong, the game looks great still for an open world game... NYC is MUCH bigger now in this game too... but it basically looks like the first two games with some better lighting and shadows, but even more pop-in. :francis: 

It's not surprising you two "got me wrong".. :shrug: