Diablo 4 GS review - 8.0

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoguhts:   Level 58 now, just doing nightmare dungeons (~tier 13-15 depending on the key I have available. Pretty mixed on the game overall....the action stuff is great, the rpg stuff is

Can't get over how ugly the female druids are. The men are ugly but fuck the women are god damn ogres     

Today is early access day 😌

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Is anyone playing with a controller? I’m curious as to how the game handles on one.

I will next week. Still doing Zelda but I’ll be doing couch coop with my lady. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Is anyone playing with a controller? I’m curious as to how the game handles on one.

I've been playing with both.

Game handles perfectly.  Some of the menu stuff take a bit longer, but it's all very intuitive, and feels nice.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yo is Battle Net trolling or does this shit really officially release in less than 2 hours? :ben: I thought it would be midnight at the earliest

It was the same thing with the early release date and I was just as confused. I didn't even start playing until almost 9 because I had no idea it was out. :happysad:

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yo is Battle Net trolling or does this shit really officially release in less than 2 hours? :ben: I thought it would be midnight at the earliest

They aren't trolling.

Enjoy it :smoke: 

By the way... HOLY SHIT at some of the cinematics in this game :vince: 

• Like 1

Played past where I stopped in the beta. Game is fun, and the presentation is light years beyond D3.

That said, once again I’m disappointed in the lack of ultra wide support for cutscenes…I don’t understand how that’s still not standard in every PC game by now.

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Played past where I stopped in the beta. Game is fun, and the presentation is light years beyond D3.

That said, once again I’m disappointed in the lack of ultra wide support for cutscenes…I don’t understand how that’s still not standard in every PC game by now.

I didn't even notice. Good thing cutscenes are less than 1% of the game. 

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

your monitor isn’t even a true ultra wide. On mine the big ass black bars are very much noticeable and distracting

what is true ultra wide? are you saying you have an ultra wide cinematic 2.39:1 monitor? or 32:9? 

i have a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor which is "true ultra wide"

Edited by Cooke
1 hour ago, Cooke said:

what is true ultra wide? are you saying you have an ultra wide cinematic 2.39:1 monitor? or 32:9? 

i have a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor which is "true ultra wide"

isn't yours 2560 x 1080 or something like that? I figured it would be a different aspect ratio than mine which 3440 x 1440

Anyway I just got my ass handed to me by the boss in the dungeon right outside the first town you get to. I decided to give up for now but I did get some good loot from that place.

World Tier 2 can be a bit tough but It sounds like thats the best way to play the game.

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

isn't yours 2560 x 1080 or something like that? I figured it would be a different aspect ratio than mine which 3440 x 1440

Anyway I just got my ass handed to me by the boss in the dungeon right outside the first town you get to. I decided to give up for now but I did get some good loot from that place.

World Tier 2 can be a bit tough but It sounds like thats the best way to play the game.

They're both the same aspect ratio lol

And yea, it's disappointing.. but at least the final version of the game allows you to disable the 30fps limit on cutscenes.

And yeah, the bosses can be nasty on WT2 depending on your class/build.  Don't be shy about re-specing your character over and over until you find something that works better.

Edited by Remij
17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah they are both 21:9 

The first boss? What class did you pick? Don't forget to dodge lol

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

For enjoyment or speed? World tier 1 is the better play for speed. WT2 gives mobs double health while you only get a 20% boost in XP. If you hit a huge power spike and are blasting elites/large packs in seconds, then switch over to WT2 and swap back to WT1 when mob health starts catching back up.

7 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

For enjoyment or speed? World tier 1 is the better play for speed. WT2 gives mobs double health while you only get a 20% boost in XP. If you hit a huge power spike and are blasting elites/large packs in seconds, then switch over to WT2 and swap back to WT1 when mob health starts catching back up.

Yeah IDK, I might drop it back down. I think easily cruising through mobs is definitely one of the more appealing things about Diablo.

@TwinbladeI see what you mean about black bars. I thought you meant piller boxing on the sides but it's letter boxed even on ultra wide because the cinematics are in 32:9 ratio which is a cinematic style format 

Edited by Cooke

My thoguhts:

Level 58 now, just doing nightmare dungeons (~tier 13-15 depending on the key I have available. Pretty mixed on the game overall....the action stuff is great, the rpg stuff is not.

Good stuff:
-Moment to moment action is awesome
-Looks and sounds fantastic
-Aspects are fun to get initially from dungeons and a cool way to augment gear
-Being able to skip the campaign and having renown/lilith statues carry to alts is nice
-World itself is cool and well designed
-Decent variety of end game activities, though Nightmare dungeons do kinda feel much more optimal
-The PvP is surprisingly fun

Bad stuff:
-Itemization is awful. Most of the affixes suck and the marginal % increases you get on the ones that don't suck are barely noticeable due to the way scaling/progression is handled. There's nothing akin to hitting a breakpoint in Diablo 2 for example. You get a few extra % on the stats you want but then you just go up a key level anyway so the monsters are equally more powerful. Basically means you're doing the same content over and over again.
-The bad itemization is compounded with the way loot is distributed - need a filter/some way to see if shit is worth picking up. The names of items as they drop indicate basically nothing about their quality so you're sifting through a ton of garbage at the end of each run. Basically just scanning the ilvl and tossing everything out that's below x.
-Further compounded by the upgrade/aspect system - when you do get an upgrade it's so marginal but you also have to invest heavily into it with upgrades and aspects (especailly if you're at the point where you're not using the base aspect and instead trying to get a better, extracted version)
-The uniques so far are pretty wack
-Level scaling sucks and is lazy. It's terrible during the campaign as leveling up often makes you feel weaker - basic enemies just become sponges at certain points. Combine this with the tediously incremental item power creep and it just feels very homogenized.
-Once you've got your build you're basically locked in to most aspects and again, you start the search for the items with the good rolls on them to extract
-Basically it's an incredibly grindy end game but by the time you actually start to see those power spikes that you want out of an ARPG, there's no real reason to continue playing
-It's nice that they let you skip the campaign and stuff on alts but it's hard to imagine doing that grind several times over. Feels like a game I'll come back to every few seasons for a week
-World is cool and well designed but also pretty samey. Not many memorable areas (parts of act 5/6 come to mind, the tree area is super cool). It all just blends together.

• Upvote 2

Probably a noob question, but whats the point of the storage? Since you're always gaining better loot, it doesn't make sense to store stuff.

Unless its intended for loot not supported by your class? That way if you start over as a different character, you can make use of better items early on to give yourself an advantage? (do stored items even carry over from character to character)?