So assuming there's mid-gen updates for the consoles...

What do you guys think about potential "Pro" mid-gen consoles?  Do you think this generation has barely started due to Covid and that they should delay them further since the current consoles haven't really been pushed with exclusive content thus far?  Do you guys think that with the shrinking improvements gen to gen in visuals, that mid-gen updates would make the jump from PS5/XSX to PS6/XSXL far less impressive and actually hurt the full next generation?  Do you guys think from now on consoles should just be incremental updates released every 3 years?

Also, about the software.. would you rather developers target 30fps and actual next gen visuals now, and rely on the "Pro" consoles to get them to 60fps.. or should they just continue to release visuals which are only moderately better than before, but continue to target 60 and above even on the base consoles?

I think these are all questions worth asking.  Personally, I think mid-gen consoles this time around would only make the next true generation jump seem that much less impressive.  I think it would be better if they start targeting 30fps for true next gen games and go as hard as they can that way, allow things to be unlocked, and then run at 60/120fps on PS6/XSXL.

Think it's too early for one given we have literally only even had the current consoles readily available for a few months now, seems a waste to now instantly shift production resources onto another SKU. From Sony's perspective they just got the supply issues of PS5 sorted, released a PSVR2 and announced a Tablet. It's just too much shit to go with a Pro atm imo. 

But with that said they will no doubt happen eventually, consoles becoming more iterative as games continue to consolidate in terms of development and be heavily scalable and released on multiple platforms with multiple modes (Performance, Visual Fidelity, etc).

My fav style of play atm is that middle ground that Insomniac has managed to put in their games. The 60fps, ray tracing mode that was in Miles Morales. Performance vs Visuals for me is usually a game by game choice, Sony's narrative focused SP games I'm more than happy at 30fps but then faster moving games like FPS or things like Returnal/Spiderman is definitely a preference on 60.

The days of being wowed by graphcis are gone imo, cause realistically how much better can they actually get? 

26 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

First order of business is for publishers to drop last gen consoles altogether and focus 100% on PS5/Series X. Its not even worth discussing any upgrades to the consoles until then. There are still too many cross gen games.

Last gens market share was still way too massive to ignore especially given the huge supply constraints new systems were under across the board. It was annoying but I was relatively surprised that I didn't feel it impacted the top end. Horizon FW is still imo the best looking PS5 game and that's a cross gen game. 

I don't think there should be midgen refresh seeing as barely current gen consoles have shown anything worth pushing them, just last gen remakes.

Also, they are going to still make games based on initial gen hardware configurations which will further make these midgen refreshes more useless.

18 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

18 months away the cross gen period will be over and we'll be getting 1440p 30fos games 

That would only be by developer choice. They could easily continue to make 1440p+ 60fps games.

Im not against a mid gen upgrade im just not really seeing the point. I cant really think of ANY game on these consoles that couldnt be done on XB1 and PS4 and that will probably continue until late in the gen.

Next is time and money. How many devs are really going to push these upgraded consoles? Or the current ones. Not many. Games take so long to make now and cost so much so what are these upgrades going to give us? Probably just Raytracing. Do devs really want to continue making games for 7 different platforms?

IF the current consoles start running at 1440p30, which would be ridiculous, what is a mid gen refresh for 500 dollars going to get you? A bump to 4k, a bump to 60fps and full RT? I doubt it. You'll probably get one of those or maybe 2 and thats a big maybe.

As for dumping games now down to 30fps i dont think people will be happy about that. Its been almost what, 3 years now and every game besides 1 or 2 is 60fps. GAMERS will be crying all over the internet about 30fps. And tbh, most people dont care about resolution and never really did outside of the warriors on game forums and TWEETER. Baseline this gen should be 60fps and whatever resolution and upscaling tech. 30fps games shouldnt exist this gen. Even Sonys movie games play and look dramatically better at 60fps.

When are we going to get a game that actually pushes PS5 or Series X? Id rather see that before see a mid gen refreshed console running the sames games with higher RT settings.

Also, Xbox fucked themselves out of doing this anyway. Do they say screw all the Series S owners? Doubt they will do that since they will probably be selling a fuck ton of the S this holiday for 150 bucks.

9 hours ago, JonbX said:

That would only be by developer choice. They could easily continue to make 1440p+ 60fps games.

Im not against a mid gen upgrade im just not really seeing the point. I cant really think of ANY game on these consoles that couldnt be done on XB1 and PS4 and that will probably continue until late in the gen.

Next is time and money. How many devs are really going to push these upgraded consoles? Or the current ones. Not many. Games take so long to make now and cost so much so what are these upgrades going to give us? Probably just Raytracing. Do devs really want to continue making games for 7 different platforms?

IF the current consoles start running at 1440p30, which would be ridiculous, what is a mid gen refresh for 500 dollars going to get you? A bump to 4k, a bump to 60fps and full RT? I doubt it. You'll probably get one of those or maybe 2 and thats a big maybe.

As for dumping games now down to 30fps i dont think people will be happy about that. Its been almost what, 3 years now and every game besides 1 or 2 is 60fps. GAMERS will be crying all over the internet about 30fps. And tbh, most people dont care about resolution and never really did outside of the warriors on game forums and TWEETER. Baseline this gen should be 60fps and whatever resolution and upscaling tech. 30fps games shouldnt exist this gen. Even Sonys movie games play and look dramatically better at 60fps.

When are we going to get a game that actually pushes PS5 or Series X? Id rather see that before see a mid gen refreshed console running the sames games with higher RT settings.

Also, Xbox fucked themselves out of doing this anyway. Do they say screw all the Series S owners? Doubt they will do that since they will probably be selling a fuck ton of the S this holiday for 150 bucks.

Pretty sure this man used ChatGPT with the dumB mix. Out of my long career at SystemWars he’s never had so many words in his reply. :reg: Either way, he’s definitely my favorite lemshit and also not. 🖕

• dead 1
43 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Pretty sure this man used ChatGPT with the dumB mix. Out of my long career at SystemWars he’s never had so many words in his reply. :reg: Either way, he’s definitely my favorite lemshit and also not. 🖕

I was thinking the same thing. :lul:

8 hours ago, lynux3 said:

JonBPT :bow: 

• Geese 1
1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

GTFO.

More hardware and another scarce userbase to fill?

Nope.

If anything, this gen should last till 2028.

In 3 years, PC graphics will decimate console ones, hence the need for a new gen. 

56 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

In 3 years, PC graphics will decimate console ones, hence the need for a new gen. 

Nah, PC doesn’t have the advantage it used to have. Even with these egregiously expensive and powerful cards like the 4090, every multiplat is still releasing with basically the same visuals across every platform. Consoles will continue to be the priority for developers going forward.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Nah, PC doesn’t have the advantage it used to have. Even with these egregiously expensive and powerful cards like the 4090, every multiplat is still releasing with basically the same visuals across every platform. Consoles will continue to be the priority for developers going forward.

In 3 and a half years? Nah. There will be a big jump. Look at the latest cyberpunk update. Incredible. 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

In 3 and a half years? Nah. There will be a big jump. Look at the latest cyberpunk update. Incredible. 

Ehh, Cyberpunk’s ray tracing update looks good but it’s not a massive leap over the existing ray tracing that is also supported on consoles. 

For PC to really have an advantage it would need to get another Crysis calibur exclusive that’s built to take advantage of modern PC tech, but that’s pretty much never going to happen again.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Ehh, Cyberpunk’s ray tracing update looks good but it’s not a massive leap over the existing ray tracing that is also supported on consoles. 

For PC to really have an advantage it would need to get another Crysis calibur exclusive that’s built to take advantage of modern PC tech, but that’s pretty much never going to happen again.

a lot can happen in 3 1/2 years.