Redfall’s development was such a mess the devs hoped MS would CANCEL it - and 70% of them quit

https://www.ign.com/articles/redfalls-development-was-reportedly-so-troubled-that-devs-hoped-microsoft-would-cancel-it 

damn 

There’s a lot of interesting nuggets of info in this story. 

Arkane was passionate about SP games and didn’t want to make a live service, MP focused game 

Also apparently 70% of their original staff who worked on Prey were so upset with the direction that Redfall was going in they just quit the company before the game was even finished.

Safe to say that Zenimax and MS killed this studio :( 

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Redfall’s development was such a mess the devs hoped MS would CANCEL it - and 70% of them quit

Phil Spencer defended himself on Redfall saying he wouldn't stop a team for doing something new and different just because it's a departure from their proven strengths. So who wanted to make Redfall if 70% of the team was against it?

Edited by sugarhigh

So Phil Spencer straight up fucking lied on camera, to everybody.

He literally said that "if the studio WANTS TO TRY SOMETHING NEW, YOU GOTTA SUPPORT THEM!! I WONT APOLOGIZE FOR THAT"

The team was literally telling management that they didn't want to do this type of game.

Management forced them to.

What a piece of lying scum, he sure does set a pattern that I notice all the way down with that company. Just lie and make up narratives and hope you don't get caught later.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

He literally said that "if the studio WANTS TO TRY SOMETHING NEW, YOU GOTTA SUPPORT THEM!! I WONT APOLOGIZE FOR THAT"

The team was literally telling management that they didn't want to do this type of game.

What a piece of lying scum, he sure does set a pattern that I notice all the way down with that company. Just lie and make up narratives and hope you don't get caught later.

Pinocchio Spencer

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

It started development before the purchase. Guessing MS just said finish the game if you want and their leadership decided to. 

Fact of the matter is just that people don’t want live service games. Gaming is such a copycat industry and usually the copycats happen way to late to actually capitalize on what made it popular anyways. 

Look at the top rated games this year and they are all single player, self contained adventures for the most part. (Zelda, RE4, Prime Remastered, Hi-Fi Rush) 

• Upvote 1

Arkane was passionate about SP games and didn’t want to make a live service, MP focused game 

That confirm what I've been thinking all along. 

JonB HBR 

ghostz was throwing a party that 1 person left sony santa monica and made up that they couldnt stand what they were making

less than 24 hours later, news comes out that 70% of staff left a xbox studio because they actually couldnt stand what they were making

supporting xbox, in a nutshell :hest: 

Edited by Quad Damage
  • dead 1
27 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

ghostz was throwing a party that 1 person left sony santa monica and made up that they couldnt stand what they were making

less than 24 hours later, news comes out that 70% of staff left a xbox studio because they actually couldnt stand what they were making

supporting xbox, in a nutshell :hest: 

I've said it once, and I'll say it again

The universe actually bends to make Bald Cucky Dick Tucky look as stupid and wrong as cosmically possible.

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It's actually incredible just how widespread MS' developer issues are. Far too many to be a coincidence at this point 

The issue with this game and the studio clearly started before MS had anything to do with them.

But of course it's not like MS did anything to make it better either.

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

The issue with this game and the studio clearly started before MS had anything to do with them.

But of course it's not like MS did anything to make it better either.

Yeah started with Zenimax but game has also been long enough under MS for them to have had chances to fix things. Plus anything to do with the state of release falls on them too. 

I think they have a big problem where they believe being completely hands off is a positive all the time.

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah started with Zenimax but game has also been long enough under MS for them to have had chances to fix things. Plus anything to do with the state of release falls on them too. 

I think they have a big problem where they believe being completely hands off is a positive all the time.

Imagine cancelling Scalebound and not Redfall :hest: 

Xbox management is fucked :D 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Imagine cancelling Scalebound and not Redfall :hest: 

Xbox management is fucked :D 

Nearly makes you think what state that game truly had to be in to be cancelled lol

Or maybe it was just easier cause it was a 2nd party kind of deal.

Just don't fuck up Fable pls :feelsbadman:

Just now, madmaltese said:

Nearly makes you think what state that game truly had to be in to be cancelled lol

Or maybe it was just easier cause it was a 2nd party kind of deal.

Just don't fuck up Fable pls :feelsbadman:

Going to be interesting to see what happens with that.  I saw some people on twitter getting excited about the "tease" that Xbox put out there.  It seems to me that it's pretty obviously Fable related... but the Xbox fanboys are so used to being let down, that they're telling each other not to expect it or get their hopes up... and I'm just thinking to myself.. god damn Fable was announced at E3 3 years ago... why is it unrealistic to expect that game to have something that can be shown by now?  Like jesus..  I FULLY expect Fable to be shown.  If not, MS has completely failed again.   Like why must the Xbox fanboys constantly lower their expectations for every event instead of Microsoft actually rising up to meet and exceed their expectations for once?

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Going to be interesting to see what happens with that.  I saw some people on twitter getting excited about the "tease" that Xbox put out there.  It seems to me that it's pretty obviously Fable related... but the Xbox fanboys are so used to being let down, that they're telling each other not to expect it or get their hopes up... and I'm just thinking to myself.. god damn Fable was announced at E3 3 years ago... why is it unrealistic to expect that game to have something that can be shown by now?  Like jesus..  I FULLY expect Fable to be shown.  If not, MS has completely failed again.   Like why must the Xbox fanboys constantly lower their expectations for every event instead of Microsoft actually rising up to meet and exceed their expectations for once?

There is no doubt Fable will be at the show. I will be absolutely mind boggled if not. So much HAS to be at this show. Sony's show sucked cause they didn't show unannounced stuff, MS hasn't show stuff announced bloody years ago lol Like you said Fable, also Everwild, Perfect Dark,etc

Fucking Hellblade 2 was touted as a launch release game (lol) and weve seen next to nothing. Got to get a release window at least. Forza already announced for the show (and it will look great) and obvs a shittonne of Starfield. Honestly don't know how this show can't be amazing. Also expected that from Sony but that was an expectation of revealing the unknown, this is a case where there are things that simply have to be there. I think even the bare minimum MS can show will make it a good show.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

There is no doubt Fable will be at the show. I will be absolutely mind boggled if not. So much HAS to be at this show. Sony's show sucked cause they didn't show unannounced stuff, MS hasn't show stuff announced bloody years ago lol Like you said Fable, also Everwild, Perfect Dark,etc

Fucking Hellblade 2 was touted as a launch release game (lol) and weve seen next to nothing. Got to get a release window at least. Forza already announced for the show (and it will look great) and obvs a shittonne of Starfield. Honestly don't know how this show can't be amazing. Also expected that from Sony but that was an expectation of revealing the unknown, this is a case where there are things that simply have to be there. I think even the bare minimum MS can show will make it a good show.

Exactly.  This shit HAS to be there.  Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark... if any of those don't get SOME screen time with actual gameplay/cutscenes.. it will be incredibly disappointing.  They've had far long enough.. no more next year.  They have to be shown NOW!

And if they can manage that, and also show off a Hellblade 2 trailer, along with Forza Motorsport, and a couple of surprises and 3rd parties... I'll think it was a good/great show.

They've got to start moving ahead with this stuff... it's been talk about the same "Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Forza, Hellblade" games for years and years now.  Time to show them, get them out and move onto new things. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Exactly.  This shit HAS to be there.  Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark... if any of those don't get SOME screen time with actual gameplay/cutscenes.. it will be incredibly disappointing.  They've had far long enough.. no more next year.  They have to be shown NOW!

And if they can manage that, and also show off a Hellblade 2 trailer, along with Forza Motorsport, and a couple of surprises and 3rd parties... I'll think it was a good/great show.

They've got to start moving ahead with this stuff... it's been talk about the same "Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Forza, Hellblade" games for years and years now.  Time to show them, get them out and move onto new things. 

They teased Fable on twitter with a video showing a glitter trail :wow2:

8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

They teased Fable on twitter with a video showing a glitter trail :wow2:

Right?  It's pretty clear that was a Fable teaser, but there were some pretty well known Xbox guys telling people to not expect Fable.. that the glitter, and following the trail, and the music is NOT Fable... lmao...  

I think they're just so used to being burned by expecting something and not getting it from MS that they just can't allow themselves to have any reasonable expectations anymore :D 

It's 100% reasonable to expect Fable to be there.  It better damn well be... MS should get backlash if it's not.

Edited by Remij