Meta announces the Quest 3 - $499 - coming this fall

Our Most Powerful Headset Yet

• Quest 3 combines our highest resolution display and pancake optics to make content look better than ever. To power those extra pixels, this will be the first headset to feature a next-generation Snapdragon chipset developed in collaboration with Qualcomm Technologies. That next-gen Snapdragon chipset delivers more than twice the graphical performance as the previous generation Snapdragon GPU in Quest 2 — meaning you’ll get smoother performance and incredibly crisp details in immersive games. 

Immersive VR + Breakthrough Meta Reality in a Single Device

• On Quest 3, our best-in-class Meta Reality technology lets you seamlessly blend your physical world with the virtual one. These new experiences go beyond today’s mixed reality by intelligently understanding and responding to objects in your physical space and allowing you to navigate that space in natural, intuitive ways that were nearly impossible before. High-fidelity color Passthrough, innovative machine learning, and spatial understanding let you interact with virtual content and the physical world simultaneously, creating limitless possibilities to explore. Now you can play a virtual board game on your kitchen table with Demeo, decorate your living room with virtual art courtesy of Painting VR, or dive into a fully immersive world to do things that are simply not possible otherwise. 
  • Quest 3 makes Meta Reality available to even more people and at a lower price point, making it our first mass-market offering to deliver both cutting-edge VR and MR experiences in a single device, setting a new benchmark for future headsets.

Redesigned for Comfort + Control

• With a 40% slimmer optic profile* compared to Quest 2, Quest 3 is a sleeker, more comfortable headset. We also completely redesigned Quest 3’s Touch Plus controllers with a more streamlined and ergonomic form factor. Thanks to our advances in tracking technology, we’ve dropped the outer tracking rings so the controllers feel like a more natural extension of your hands and take up less space. We also included TruTouch haptics that first debuted in Touch Pro to help you feel the action like never before. You can even upgrade to our fully self-tracked Meta Quest Touch Pro Controllers for a premium experience. And hand tracking will be supported out of the box, so you can explore without controllers, thanks to Direct Touch that lets you use just your hands to interact with virtual objects.

World’s Best Library of Immersive Content

• Quest 3 is compatible with the Quest 2 catalog of over 500 VR games, apps, and experiences (and counting), and we’ve got even more exciting new VR and MR titles lined up for launch. That means Quest 3 will have the world’s best library of immersive experiences on day one. Be sure to tune in to today’s Meta Quest Gaming Showcase for a rundown of new games and updates coming to the Quest Platform — plus a sneak peek at Quest 3’s AAA flagship adventure.

The Quest 2 and Quest Pro are also getting software updates which will increase performance on Quest 2 by about 20%, as well as the ability to enable DRS.   Damn, nice upgrate!

FxizScOacAMIhcN?format=jpg&name=medium

Damn, they really nailed it with this thing.. although the price is somewhat high, you're still getting an awesome headset for that price.  They smartly are keeping the Quest 2 around and keeping the barrier of entry lower for people.

15 minutes ago, Remij said:

Damn, they really nailed it with this thing.. although the price is somewhat high, you're still getting an awesome headset for that price.  They smartly are keeping the Quest 2 around and keeping the barrier of entry lower for people.

I was thinking I could do a quick trade. Quest 2 is UNDERpowered as hell anyway. Played Moss 2 demo, looked worse than Moss 1 on PSVR. 

Honestly RE4 and Lies Beneath are the only games that impressed me on that system. 

29 minutes ago, Remij said:

Holy shit let's fucking GO!  Asgard's Wrath 2 announced for the Quest 2/3/Pro

Looks worse than the first game but that's probably Quest 3 footage. 

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I was thinking I could do a quick trade. Quest 2 is UNDERpowered as hell anyway. Played Moss 2 demo, looked worse than Moss 1 on PSVR. 

Honestly RE4 and Lies Beneath are the only games that impressed me on that system. 

Worse than Moss 1 on PSVR?  Really?

It obviously cuts things back from the PC and PS5 versions, but still looks pretty good for what is essentially phone hardware.

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Looks worse than the first game but that's probably Quest 3 footage. 

Well yeah, the first game was PCVR only.  Still though, I'm sure it's going to be epic.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Worse than Moss 1 on PSVR?  Really?

It obviously cuts things back from the PC and PS5 versions, but still looks pretty good for what is essentially phone hardware.

The simple textures look kills a lot of Quest 2 games visuals. The textures just doesn't have much detail, everything looks like plain colors at times.

I think it's easier to see in VR bad texture works. It's kinda striking, there are no fine details, just some simple lines.  

I mean it works, resolution is pretty decent, controls are pretty tight but I can't go back to worse than PSVR1. It's fine if you're some broke kid and you don't have anything else. Anyone else shouldn't settled down for such watered down graphics, imo.

It's fine for certain games like Superhot VR for example, extremely simple graphics that works, but not for richly detailed environment like in Moss. Totally killed the vibe.

• Upvote 1

I just realize we're actually getting a new Vampire The Masquerade RPG. And it's a VR game. Weird as fuck. 

Only had to wait 18 years so I'll take it. At least Fast Travel Games is an experienced VR studio so I got some faith it might turn out good. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

The simple textures look kills a lot of Quest 2 games visuals. The textures just doesn't have much detail, everything looks like plain colors at times.

I think it's easier to see in VR bad texture works. It's kinda striking, there are no fine details, just some simple lines.  

I mean it works, resolution is pretty decent, controls are pretty tight but I can't go back to worse than PSVR1. It's fine if you're some broke kid and you don't have anything else. Anyone else shouldn't settled down for such watered down graphics, imo.

It's fine for certain games like Superhot VR for example, extremely simple graphics that works, but not for richly detailed environment like in Moss. Totally killed the vibe.

Yea, there's still some impressive native Quest 2 games out there though, like Red Matter 2... but your not wrong.

Quest 3 should bring that up quite a bit I would think.  In that Asgard's Wrath 2 trailer there's some nice texture work there.

Still, regardless of all that, I love having a headset that is simply not connected to anything else, just my head.  It's nice to be able to use my PC and play really high fidelity games like Asgard's Wrath, Lone Echo 1+2, HL:A, and lots of others completely maxed out... and all wirelessly.  All my Oculus Store games, Steam VR games, and Quest games all in one place.  Also  the newest beta version of Virtual Desktop allows incredible image quality now with much improved bitrates.  Virtual Desktop was already far superior to Air Link... this just makes it not even a comparison.

Welcome to Virtual Desktop! If you experience any issues, please visit the website at www.vrdesktop.net to check out the FAQ or reach out to us on Discord.

Changes in this BETA release:
• Added HEVC 10-bit codec option, increasing the image quality especially with color gradients (Nvidia 1000 series or newer only)
• Added H.264+ codec option that allows a VR bitrate of up to 400 Mbps (all headsets except Quest 1)
• Improved foveated encoding to prioritize bitrate at the center of the image with H.264/H.264+ (Nvidia only)
• Increased maximum desktop bitrate to 100 Mbps
• Switched to OpenXR on Quest which brings a new Passthrough environment
• Local dimming is now enabled on Quest Pro
• Added Italian keyboard layout
• Fixed see-through monitor issue at some resolutions in the Modern Apartment
• Fixed resume of desktop stream sometimes playing catch-up
• Fixed auto-connect to not trigger for new computers
• Fixed game compatibility with Narcosis

You will need the BETA Streamer with this release. See #announcements channel on Discord for download link.

Quest 3 connected to a PC is going to be pretty fucking awesome!

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Remij said:

Yea, there's still some impressive native Quest 2 games out there though, like Red Matter 2... but your not wrong.

Quest 3 should bring that up quite a bit I would think.  In that Asgard's Wrath 2 trailer there's some nice texture work there.

Still, regardless of all that, I love having a headset that is simply not connected to anything else, just my head.  It's nice to be able to use my PC and play really high fidelity games like Asgard's Wrath, Lone Echo 1+2, HL:A, and lots of others completely maxed out... and all wirelessly.  All my Oculus Store games, Steam VR games, and Quest games all in one place.  Also  the newest beta version of Virtual Desktop allows incredible image quality now with much improved bitrates.  Virtual Desktop was already far superior to Air Link... this just makes it not even a comparison.

Quest 3 connected to a PC is going to be pretty fucking awesome!

Red Matter 2 is an anomaly. They even reached 120FPS on PSVR2 with no reprojections. Added 4k textures for the heck out of it. 

The fact Quest 2 works on PC (wirelessly) is THE reason to buy one. I consider playing directly on the helmet; the 'handheld' mode. It's a neat bonus though.

I still haven't bought anything on the Oculus PC store but I do have games like Demeo which you get both versions when you buy it on Metaquest. That's really neat too. Of course my laptop can't run half of them so yeah. 

• Thanks 1

yikes...$500 for a 2x performance upgrade?

2x increase of what a mid-tier mobile phone chipset was from about 3 years ago?

And their next moneyhatted game is Bulletstorm? That's the best they could do?

And they forgot to put the enemy NPCs in the game? The whole point of the game was that there was alot of things to shoot at.

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Red Matter 2 is an anomaly. They even reached 120FPS on PSVR2 with no reprojections. Added 4k textures for the heck out of it. 

The fact Quest 2 works on PC (wirelessly) is THE reason to buy one. I consider playing directly on the helmet; the 'handheld' mode. It's a neat bonus though.

I still haven't bought anything on the Oculus PC store but I do have games like Demeo which you get both versions when you buy it on Metaquest. That's really neat too. Of course my laptop can't run half of them so yeah. 

Yea they pulled off some magic on that one.

Quest 3 is going to be pretty great.  ~2x the performance, higher resolution than the Quest 2/Pro/PSVR2.  Fully untethered.  It's the most powerful all in one VR set out there by a long way... and of course Oculus has the best ecosystem hands down.

Will be interesting to see how this thing sells.

• Upvote 1