The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Damn, there’s actually a surprising amount of dark & emotional moments in DQXI....definetly not a light hearted game like the artstyle and vibe would imply.

You think I would like it? 

55 minutes ago, -GD- said:

You think I would like it? 

I definitely think you should give it a try. The game feels like a true adventure. Im 25 hours in and im still impressed at the rate at which it throws new areas at you that are also fun to explore and look at. It does feel like a traditional JRPG design wise but its probably one of the better executed ones in recent memory. The dungeons are also brief and quickly move you toward the next point in the story, and grinding is non existent. It feels like they've taken the best aspects from the genre and trimmed out the fat. This trickles down to the side quests as well, as theres only 26 of them total. The devs could have easily generated dozens of shitty fetch quests but they obviously realized that doing that would be a waste of their time, and instead focused those resources on other parts of the game (which is a rarity nowadays, hopefully more publishers follow suit).

Edited by Twinblade
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

I definitely think you should give it a try. The game feels like a true adventure. Im 25 hours in and im still impressed at the rate at which it throws new areas at you that are also fun to explore and look at. It does feel like a traditional JRPG design wise but its probably one of the better executed ones in recent memory. The dungeons are also brief and quickly move you toward the next point in the story, and grinding is non existent. It feels like they've taken the best aspects from the genre and trimmed out the fat. This trickles down to the side quests as well, as theres only 26 of them total. The devs could have easily generated dozens of shitty fetch quests but they obviously realized that doing that would be a waste of their time, and instead focused those resources on other parts of the game (which is a rarity nowadays, hopefully more publishers follow suit).

Holy fuck this sounds amazing! I think it would be a great mobile game, so I want to see the switch version. 

11 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Holy fuck this sounds amazing! I think it would be a great mobile game, so I want to see the switch version. 

One of my pet peeves with the game is that you can't save anywhere, you have to do so at shines or churches scattered throughout the world. Thats how it was in the old DQ games, so I understand why they kept it but it might limit its value as a pick up and play mobile game.

There is an autosave feature, but i don't rely on it as the game isn't that clear on when the saves trigger (seems to always happen after loading screens that seperate areas, but im not 100% sure).

Edited by Twinblade
  • Like 1

played a bunch of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Its good, but they continue to expand on the busy work and very game-y design. Seriously, it feels like half of my playtime is spent spamming the batman vision button and collecting bullshit or watching XP indicators pop up on the screen. That stuff lessens the immersion and hurts the pacing, while reminding you that you're definitely playing a video game. This is one of the reasons why Naughty Dog is still at the top of the genre, they realize that less is more and focus on the aspects that matter most.

Edited by Twinblade
42 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

played a bunch of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Its good, but they continue to expand on the busy work and very game-y design. Seriously, it feels like half of my playtime is spent spamming the batman vision button and collecting bullshit or watching XP indicators pop up on the screen. That stuff lessens the immersion and hurts the pacing, while reminding you that you're definitely playing a video game. This is one of the reasons why Naughty Dog is still at the top of the genre, they realize that less is more and focus on the aspects that matter most.

I'd rather play this any day than that.  At least running around collecting shit gives you a reason to look around the beautiful environments.  In UC4 you can go way out of your way and you get a stupid fucking medal that means and does nothing.  Here you actually have to craft weapons and ammo, and clothing ect ect.  It's simply much better.  Also, stop spamming the batman vision dummy.. the game becomes more immersive simply by doing that... (but of course you don't want to miss anything, do you?)

Also, the characters are definitely much better in this one than any other TR reboot that's for sure.  The acting is surprisingly good in some parts.  I'm  still relatively early though.  The jungle is fucking gorgeous too.