The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

2 hours ago, -GD- said:

rdr2 is the definitive open world experience. however, i like ubisoft's template. it's predictable, but it's still fun (for me, at least). i really enjoyed far cry 5 and ass creed origins. i look forward to playing odyssey tomorrow. 

That's fine. I mean I can stomach those open world games if the core gameplay is good, like Horizon Zero Dawn for example.

But still, the best open worlds are the ones that are begging to be explored and the ones where events happens organically along your adventure. Which RDR2 is doing a really good job at, which is why I'm enjoying it.

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That's fine. I mean I can stomach those open world games if the core gameplay is good, like Horizon Zero Dawn for example.

But still, the best open worlds are the ones that are begging to be explored and the ones where events happens organically along your adventure. Which RDR2 is doing a really good job at, which is why I'm enjoying it.

i couldn't agree more. you can literally spend hours just exploring rdr2. the world truly feels alive!  

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

Each of these open worlds are emphasising and offering different things and while comparing them is something that everyone will do as they are 'open world', it doesn't necessarily make them a fair comparison. What Ubi does with it's open worlds is far different than what RDR2 is going for. RDR2 and BotW are probably in the same category when it comes to emphasis on open world exploration. That is where they shine. Horizon meanwhile is far more focused on it's combat and has the best combat of any open world I've ever played. Compare combat from Horizon to RDR2 and BotW and those 2 games look like complete shit. Ubisoft is similar in the fact they are focusing and offering different things. 

17 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Each of these open worlds are emphasising and offering different things and while comparing them is something that everyone will do as they are 'open world', it doesn't necessarily make them a fair comparison. What Ubi does with it's open worlds is far different than what RDR2 is going for. RDR2 and BotW are probably in the same category when it comes to emphasis on open world exploration. That is where they shine. Horizon meanwhile is far more focused on it's combat and has the best combat of any open world I've ever played. Compare combat from Horizon to RDR2 and BotW and those 2 games look like complete shit. Ubisoft is similar in the fact they are focusing and offering different things. 

I don't care. If your open world is not fun to explore and lose yourself in, then what's the point? And copy pasting the same 12 missions type all over a big map isn't my idea of fun, feels like pointless time sink filler. I hate when I can recognize a pattern in an open world. You could make an interesting open world and still have good core gameplay mechanics, the two aren't necessarily incompatible.

Just now, Ramza said:

I don't care. If your open world is not fun to explore and lose yourself in, then what's the point? And copy pasting the same 12 missions type all over a big map isn't my idea of fun, feels like pointless time sink filler. I hate when I can recognize a pattern in an open world. You could make an interesting open world and still have good core gameplay mechanics, the two aren't necessarily incompatible.

AC odyssey and Origins are hella fun to explore and lose yourself in. The environments alone are mindblowing to discover.

You're now talking about missions structure. Ubisoft mission structure absolutely destroys RDR2 missions structure. RDR2 is literally 80% the exact single missions type. 15min ride to location, shoot some dudes in a super linear fashion, 15 min ride back to camp. That is 80% of the missions. RDR2 excels in its open world exploration and outside of missions, but mission wise Ubisoft games have far more range, freedom and choice. RDR2 is literally PS2 level missions. 

11 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

AC odyssey and Origins are hella fun to explore and lose yourself in. The environments alone are mindblowing to discover.

You're now talking about missions structure. Ubisoft mission structure absolutely destroys RDR2 missions structure. RDR2 is literally 80% the exact single missions type. 15min ride to location, shoot some dudes in a super linear fashion, 15 min ride back to camp. That is 80% of the missions. RDR2 excels in its open world exploration and outside of missions, but mission wise Ubisoft games have far more range, freedom and choice. RDR2 is literally PS2 level missions. 

Yeah, Ubisoft’s environments may not feel as organic as RDR2’s, but damn they are pretty. I love the statues and artwork in even the most random buildings. 

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Maybe, I haven't played an AC game in forever. 

I don't agree with you at all on RDR2 missions, every single one so far had their own unique story context, I just saved my ex wife's brother from a crazy cult, before that I was stealing a carriage from a house at night, before that I got horribly drunk in a saloon with Lenny and started hallucinating and we got pursued by law enforcement (funniest shit I've seen in a while), before that I hunted a bear with Hosea and he pissed himself, before that I took a bounty on a crazy snake oil seller who threw himself in a river and had to save him so I could get the bounty.

I mean sure, the gameplay at it's core is a bit limited, there's just not much you can do other than shooting, riding horses, lassoing people, hunting animals, etc but I definitely don't feel like there's a distinctive pattern like having to destroy another bandit camp or climb up a tower to make more bandit camps appear on my map... If you catch my meaning.

5 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Yeah, Ubisoft’s environments may not feel as organic as RDR2’s, but damn they are pretty. I love the statues and artwork in even the most random buildings. 

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that I'm a sucker for Ancient Egypt and Greece helps my love for those games but those two games were just breathtaking and exciting to actually arrive at a new location. Seeing the pyramids for the first time in the distance in Origins, or arriving at Alexandria, etc. To an extent I enjoyed that discovering of locations more in Origins than I did in BotW (BotW's mindblowing aspects come from the freedom in it's gameplay).

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Maybe, I haven't played an AC game in forever. 

I don't agree with you at all on RDR2 missions, every single one so far had their own unique story context, I just saved my ex wife's brother from a crazy cult, before that I was stealing a carriage from a house at night, before that I got horribly drunk in a saloon with Lenny and started hallucinating and we got pursued by law enforcement (funniest shit I've seen in a while), before that I hunted a bear with Hosea and he pissed himself, before that I took a bounty on a crazy snake oil seller who threw himself in a river and had to save him so I could get the bounty.

I mean sure, the gameplay at it's core is a bit limited, there's just not much you can do other than shooting, riding horses, lassoing people, hunting animals, etc but I definitely don't feel like there's a distinctive pattern like having to destroy another bandit camp or climb up a tower to make more bandit camps appear on my map... If you catch my meaning.

Yeah it sounds like you haven't played Ubi games in a while. The new AC games (Origins and Odyssey) are breathtakingly good. They have vastly improved their games and release schedule, giving games more time to bake. 

You're still early in RDR2 and I felt that way early too. Keen to hear your thoughts as you progress though, mainly through Chapters 3-6 as most missions become increasingly similar and even the story beats are near identical (up until the excellent final act).

But yeah there is no 'Ubi towers' or markers of that extent but that is also a feature in the new AC games if you want. RDR2 got a whole lot of praise for it's exploration mode but Odyssey did it before. You can play AC in exploration mode and there is zero icons on your map. Every single quest, main and side is given to you and explained by characters regarding locations and what you need to do. Eg, Location X is west of the river, near the bridge. Or South of Sparta lies Y and X. You can play the entirety of AC Odyssey that way and get rid of all your complaints. Sure there is still bandit camps and shit but those are all optional anyway. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that I'm a sucker for Ancient Egypt and Greece helps my love for those games but those two games were just breathtaking and exciting to actually arrive at a new location. Seeing the pyramids for the first time in the distance in Origins, or arriving at Alexandria, etc. To an extent I enjoyed that discovering of locations more in Origins than I did in BotW (BotW's mindblowing aspects come from the freedom in it's gameplay).

Yeah it sounds like you haven't played Ubi games in a while. The new AC games (Origins and Odyssey) are breathtakingly good. They have vastly improved their games and release schedule, giving games more time to bake. 

You're still early in RDR2 and I felt that way early too. Keen to hear your thoughts as you progress though, mainly through Chapters 3-6 as most missions become increasingly similar and even the story beats are near identical (up until the excellent final act).

But yeah there is no 'Ubi towers' or markers of that extent but that is also a feature in the new AC games if you want. RDR2 got a whole lot of praise for it's exploration mode but Odyssey did it before. You can play AC in exploration mode and there is zero icons on your map. Every single quest, main and side is given to you and explained by characters regarding locations and what you need to do. Eg, Location X is west of the river, near the bridge. Or South of Sparta lies Y and X. You can play the entirety of AC Odyssey that way and get rid of all your complaints. Sure there is still bandit camps and shit but those are all optional anyway. 

Man, RDR2 later parts sounds disappoint as fuck. Anyway, I'll see when I get there.

Maybe I should try Odyssey or Origins too. I'm a huge fan of ancient Greece and Egypt as well... although, that's what worries me. lol If it's too historically inaccurate, it's just gonna piss me off.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Man, RDR2 later parts sounds disappoint as fuck. Anyway, I'll see when I get there.

Maybe I should try Odyssey or Origins too. I'm a huge fan of ancient Greece and Egypt as well... although, that's what worries me. lol If it's too historically inaccurate, it's just gonna piss me off.

No guarantee you'll feel the same way. Seems a 50/50 thing, as many ppl who loved all of RDR2 as there are ppl who had issues with it. So there's every chance you'll love it all.

If you like those ancient eras then imo these two games are the greatest representation of them in an environmental/visual aspect. Truly incredible. Regarding historical accuracy, they do pretty fun twists on historical characters and stories. I enjoyed it but I also wasn't looking for accuracy.  

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

No guarantee you'll feel the same way. Seems a 50/50 thing, as many ppl who loved all of RDR2 as there are ppl who had issues with it. So there's every chance you'll love it all.

If you like those ancient eras then imo these two games are the greatest representation of them in an environmental/visual aspect. Truly incredible. Regarding historical accuracy, they do pretty fun twists on historical characters and stories. I enjoyed it but I also wasn't looking for accuracy.  

Which one of the AC game would you recommend more? I heard Odyssey is more RPGish? 

5 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Which one of the AC game would you recommend more? I heard Odyssey is more RPGish? 

If you were only going to play one then defs Odyssey as it refines and improves upon what they did in Origins and they go pretty hard into the RPG elements. Also the Greek world is way more varied thanks to the multitude of islands and the sea. Only reason to get Origins over it is if you like Egypt way way more. 

Way for discount though just in case you are still not a fan.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

If you were only going to play one then defs Odyssey as it refines and improves upon what they did in Origins and they go pretty hard into the RPG elements. Also the Greek world is way more varied thanks to the multitude of islands and the sea. Only reason to get Origins over it is if you like Egypt way way more. 

Way for discount though just in case you are still not a fan.

Odyssey is $25 on Amazon :smoke:

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Crackdown 3

Bit more Shadow of Tomb Raider

a bunch of Rocket league with friends. So fn good. 

lost interest in crackdown 3. how are you enjoying TR? make sure you do the ship tomb :love: