The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

Im really struggling to enjoy Ghost's combat

When it clicks its fun, but most of the time it just feels frustratingly inconsistent and janky.

The camera is all over the place and has no idea what its supposed to do, almost never focusing the enemies im attacking, or the enemies that are in the process of attacking me. It becomes way too difficult to keep track of whats going on, especially against larger group of enemies.

The pseudo lock-on they have also doesn't feel fluid. Sometimes im right up on an enemy but when I attack ill end up flailing my sword and hitting nobody. Or there will be 2 enemies next to each other, and ill be facing and attempting to attack one of them but the game will for some reason lock me onto the other guy.

Less of an issue is the visuals, which can still do get in the way of the fights. Theres so much in the way of FX, shit blowing in the wind, lighting/camera filters at times that It also becomes hard to be able to pick up on nearby enemies and their attacks. On its own this wouldn't be a huge problem but combined with the issues I mentioned above it all just adds to the frustration.

I actually like most else of what the game is doing but the core fighting has been pretty disappointing so far. Im still early on but i've already been avoiding fights when I can, or just going in with stealth when thats an option.

59 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

When it clicks its fun, but most of the time it just feels frustratingly inconsistent and janky.

The camera is all over the place and has no idea what its supposed to do, almost never focusing the enemies im attacking, or the enemies that are in the process of attacking me. It becomes way too difficult to keep track of whats going on, especially against larger group of enemies.

The pseudo lock-on they have also doesn't feel fluid. Sometimes im right up on an enemy but when I attack ill end up flailing my sword and hitting nobody. Or there will be 2 enemies next to each other, and ill be facing and attempting to attack one of them but the game will for some reason lock me onto the other guy.

Less of an issue is the visuals, which can still do get in the way of the fights. Theres so much in the way of FX, shit blowing in the wind, lighting/camera filters at times that It also becomes hard to be able to pick up on nearby enemies and their attacks. On its own this wouldn't be a huge problem but combined with the issues I mentioned above it all just adds to the frustration.

I actually like most else of what the game is doing but the core fighting has been pretty disappointing so far. Im still early on but i've already been avoiding fights when I can, or just going in with stealth when thats an option.

Stealth is terrible unless you get the ghost armor and max it out. I also recommend unlocking the 2 or 3 stealth kill chains, if you want to avoid fights.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Stealth ugh :holeup:

Yeah, couldn't disagree more tbh. The combat is top tier. Stealth is as basic and bare bones as it gets.

• Upvote 1

Yeah stealth was pretty meh but then like GD said once you get ghost armor so you’ll be much harder to spot, upgrade techniques so you can stealth kill 3 guys in a row, and upgrade the knife so kill animations are quick, It made stealth a lot more enjoyable to now I actually use it rather than go in and initiate combat

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Saucer said:

I've only played one game since last October so I figured what the hell and bought Origami King. Paper Mario's pretty much always playable if nothing else. 

It's pretty great, but could've been so much more. The lack of real character progression is baffling and leads me to try to avoid most battle when I can. They're not bad, but there's no incentive to complete them beyond coins and confetti which are already plentiful.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's pretty great, but could've been so much more. The lack of real character progression is baffling and leads me to try to avoid most battle when I can. They're not bad, but there's no incentive to complete them beyond coins and confetti which are already plentiful.

I kept reading the writing's fun and the scenarios mix it up a lot and you can avoid a lot of grunt fights. More than anything I just want something cheery. 

Just now, Saucer said:

I kept reading the writing's fun and the scenarios mix it up a lot and you can avoid a lot of grunt fights. More than anything I just want something cheery. 

Game is pure charm and that will be enough to see you through to the end. Hunting for toads hasn't gotten old either. They're hidden really cleverly sometimes. This game feels a lot like a Zelda game at times too with puzzle solving and dungeons. I'm gonna try to finish it this weekend but I've enjoyed all that I have played so far.

• Thanks 1

My review of the Ghost of Sushi:

Presentation: The music and sound design are spectacular! I seriously felt like I was in a big budget film during many key sections. The graphics are a mixed bag, though. Lots of rich colors, exaggerated (but beautiful) HDR lighting, swaying foliage and flying leaves (lots and lots of flying leaves. Lots). However, the character models were just solid and a lot of the basic animations were janky. The environments, while pretty on an artistic level, came up short, on a technical one. Also, lots of pop pup and artifacts (I’m assuming it’s from bad checkerboard via ps4pro). The game’s visuals also looked like they were dipped in Vaseline. They looked soft, even slightly blurry. It may have been an artistic choice, or a technique to minimize technical shortcomings. 

Story: LOL. Let’s just say it was used to get from one epic scene to another. There wasn’t a single moment or character that resonated with me. Well, there was one scene. But it didn’t even involve a human!

Gameplay:  This is where the game shines, but takes a little too long to do so. The first 5 hours just aren’t that good. However, once I started to learn new skills, acquire new stances, and unlock tactics that made the stealth actually fun (it was bad, at first), the game finally clicked and I was totally engaged.  By the end of the campaign, I was a total badass, with a full arsenal of moves to keep things interesting. 

Pacing: While the game struggled in the first act, 2 and 3 moved quickly! However, I felt the final chapters to be anticlimactic. I guess the leap from act 1 to 2 was so dramatic (the game felt epic!), that I expected something similar, going from 2 to 3. However, it felt like “more of the same”, so I was a bit disappointed. On the bright side, you can literally skip every side mission. So, there’s no need for endless grinding. I did the legendary tales and I enjoyed them! Plus, they come with great rewards. I also found some of the shrines. I highly recommend you do these if you like the platforming in games like UC 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider, where you scale mountains and find hidden areas. 

My score: 7.75 

Summary: A fun game that struggles to find its footing, initially. However, once it does, enjoy the thrilling ride, even if it loses some steam towards the end. 

** I plan to do the side stuff, so my overall score may get bumped up to an 8. We shall see. This review was just for the campaign. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Sounds about right. What sells it for me personally is this being the first of its kind in this setting and it having an well designed combat system, rather than kinda feeling like an after thought in I think most open world games I’ve played. 

btw how the hell did you get farther than where I’m at already :ben: 
I’m current only on Act 3, boss

Spoiler

Khotou Kahn I’m in the snow and he’s kicking my ass. Figures the only stance I didn’t use upgrade points for is the one I need most right now. FML

How much gane time is left after I beat him GD?

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Delita said:

Sounds about right. What sells it for me personally is this being the first of its kind in this setting and it having an well designed combat system, rather than kinda feeling like an after thought in I think most open world games I’ve played. 

btw how the hell did you get farther than where I’m at already :ben: 
I’m current only on Act 3, boss

Reveal hidden contents

Khotou Kahn I’m in the snow and he’s kicking my ass. Figures the only stance I didn’t use upgrade points for is the one I need most right now. FML

How much gane time is left after I beat him GD?

Spoiler

Not much. There’s one more quick battle. And you didn’t unlock the 4th stance? Damn son. It’s great for those dudes with those clubs.