The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

All of these games are incredible story and dialog heavy.  It's a serious commitment if you're looking to get into the Sky and Cold Steel series.  The games assume you know what's happened.

And yes, thank god for the speedup toggle :wow2: 

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Remij said:

All of these games are incredible story and dialog heavy.  It's a serious commitment if you're looking to get into the Sky and Cold Steel series.  The games assume you know what's happened.

A very cool touch is that after most story events, even minor ones, the dialogue for nearly all of the NPCs around the city refreshes into new stuff. So you can spend a lot of time just going around and talking to people.

The game’s simple graphics and top down perspective are actually pretty misleading because they imply a smaller type of game, but when you dig into it you realize just how big it is from a content and storytelling perspective.

Though tbh, it’s definitely exhausting to play for those reasons. After almost 50 hours I don’t see an ending in sight. I’m still on leave from my shoulder surgery, but if I was working I’m not sure I would be able to commit the time to playing this game all the way through, especially given how stacked these upcoming months are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Remij said:

I wish it had English VO. I find it really annoying to read in a language and hear the same sentence in another. I tend to zone out and skip some dialogues by accident. Or maybe I'm just way too fucking high.

@Twinblade

I just now realized that Trails from Zero has a sequel coming out next year. By the looks of it, it also has a lot of the same assets. I was already getting Yakuza vibes from this, in the sense that it's extremely self-indulgent, has typical Japanese written dialogues that are needlessly long for no reason. The difference being that Yakuza is far more captivating and doesn't look like a PS1 game. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668520/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_to_Azure/

I can already tell I won't keep up with this series. I will try to get as far as I can in Zero, I'm enjoying it enough but I'm not sure I will say the same thing 50 hours in.

7 hours ago, Ramza said:

@Twinblade

I just now realized that Trails from Zero has a sequel coming out next year. By the looks of it, it also has a lot of the same assets. I was already getting Yakuza vibes from this, in the sense that it's extremely self-indulgent, has typical Japanese written dialogues that are needlessly long for no reason. The difference being that Yakuza is far more captivating and doesn't look like a PS1 game. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668520/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_to_Azure/

I can already tell I won't keep up with this series. I will try to get as far as I can in Zero, I'm enjoying it enough but I'm not sure I will say the same thing 50 hours in.

yeah I had commented on that. While I would like to see the story all the way through, I definitely feel like im getting my fill with Zero. The re-used environments is not surprising but the gameplay being identical is what would bother me. I also read that the story moves in a more over the top anime direction, which is not really what I wanted.

41 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

yeah I had commented on that. While I would like to see the story all the way through, I definitely feel like im getting my fill with Zero. The re-used environments is not surprising but the gameplay being identical is what would bother me. I also read that the story moves in a more over the top anime direction, which is not really what I wanted.

Yeah, there's no way I'm gonna crave more of the same so soon.

What about this one though?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668540/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_into_Reverie/

I'm at least partially knowledgeable about the story and characters from Zero. Graphically it looks way cooler. 

Man, this series is a bit ridiculous. lol  

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Yeah, there's no way I'm gonna crave more of the same so soon.

What about this one though?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668540/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_into_Reverie/

I'm at least partially knowledgeable about the story and characters from Zero. Graphically it looks way cooler. 

Man, this series is a bit ridiculous. lol  

Fuck this series is impossible to keep track of :D apparently thats a combined sequel to both Cold Steel 4 and Azure based on the forum posts I saw?

So basically the whole chronology looks something like this

Trails From Zero

Trails To Azure

Trails in The Sky First Chapter

Trails in The Sky Second Chapter

Trails in The Sky The Third

Trails of Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel 2

Trails of Cold Steel 3

Trails of Cold Steel 4

Trails into Reverie

:|

• Haha 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

@-GD-X If you're in the mood for another point and click adventure game you might like Wadjet Eye's latest. They're relatively well known for these kind of games on PC/MAC, and this newest one is horror themed

I haven't played it yet but I might check it out

that looks really cool! yeah, i'll have to get it for mac (some other adventure games too).

• Upvote 1

After 62 hours and i've finished Trails from Zero including nearly every side quest. That was exhausting to see the least :ben: The speed up feature is absolutely essential, it probably shaved off a good 15-20 hours of gameplay and im not sure i'd be able to finish the game if it was 80 hours long and I had to go through every combat encounter at regular speed.

It was a really good time overall though. Im glad I was able to commit to finishing a game in this series, and this is definitely the perfect starting point (though I did play a bit of Trails in the Sky First Chapter a while ago).

Im still undecided on whether or not im up for the sequel coming out next year. The time investment might be too much, especially if it releases in a crowded season. I also feel like I got my fill of the gameplay loop with this one. The combat in particular leaves a good first impression but you quickly see most of what it has to offer early on in the game and then for the rest of it you feel like you're just going through the motions. There are some fun boss battles that change things up a bit and its enjoyable to experiment with the Quartz system to create new arts.

The characters and the dialogue are absolutely the highlight. Even the minor ones are well written and have an important place in the story. I just wish there was a way to automatically advance through the dialogue. Some of these scenes go on for close to a hour and throughout that entire your time you're just constantly hitting buttons on your controller instead of just being able to focus on everything thats going on. It sounds small but thats absolutely the #1 feature the sequel needs to have

The OST has some good tracks too

• Upvote 2

Played Asterigos for a couple hours (I preordered it so I got the game 3 days early).  I'm liking what I've experienced so far. End of the first Main Quest gave me a good "WTF" moment and actually has me questioning if I should start a new game real quick just to see if there was another way to get through the mission.

Edited by Sabo
  • Upvote 1

Been trying to slowly chip away at Days Gone still, and this game has so many niggling things that just annoy me. First time booting it up since I finished Trails from Zero, and on my way to a mission I run into a tripwire trap with my bike, so I defeat a few enemies and get back on it. Then I realized that its heavily damaged, but im out of scrap to repair it. So I spend 5 minutes walking around, I find some scrap to repair it, but I see my fuel is getting so low so hell I might as well look for fuel to to top it off.

This is such a common scenario in this game that happens way too often. I actually like the storytelling and combat but the survival mechanics add nothing to the game. In fact, the devs might have realized it themselves because the scripted story moments where you're riding with NPCs or in a chase sequence just completely get rid of both the repair and refueling mechanics. What is up with this inconsistency? Its like they couldn't decide whether they wanted to prioritize the survival mechanics or the scripted action/story scenes. The game feels like it has an identity crisis because of how it tries to implement these mechanics.

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Been trying to slowly chip away at Days Gone still, and this game has so many niggling things that just annoy me. First time booting it up since I finished Trails from Zero, and on my way to a mission I run into a tripwire trap with my bike, so I defeat a few enemies and get back on it. Then I realized that its heavily damaged, but im out of scrap to repair it. So I spend 5 minutes walking around, I find some scrap to repair it, but I see my fuel is getting so low so hell I might as well look for fuel to to top it off.

This is such a common scenario in this game that happens way too often. I actually like the storytelling and combat but the survival mechanics add nothing to the game. In fact, the devs might have realized it themselves because the scripted story moments where you're riding with NPCs or in a chase sequence just completely get rid of both the repair and refueling mechanics. What is up with this inconsistency? Its like they couldn't decide whether they wanted to prioritize the survival mechanics or the scripted action/story scenes. The game feels like it has an identity crisis because of how it tries to implement these mechanics.

Gas Gone. I hated it. 

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Just use a damn mod.  Your enjoying will multiply 10x with no downside... :D 

Just now, Remij said:

Just use a damn mod.  Your enjoying will multiply 10x with no downside... :D 

yeah, I miss that about PC gaming. I remember using the mounted flashlight mod in doom 3. It made the game way more enjoyable. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

yeah, I miss that about PC gaming. I remember using the mounted flashlight mod in doom 3. It made the game way more enjoyable. 

Yep.  There's really no shame in doing that to reduce the tedium for games which would otherwise be great. 

While I'd usually suggest not using mods until after doing a normal playthrough... if you're forcing yourself to suffer through something you don't like... then just use a mod that makes that aspect less tedious.  Especially if that's really the only aspect holding back your enjoyment otherwise.

The more I play Asterigos, the more I enjoy it. If the game can keep this up then it may end up being my GOTY. No joke. Got the game today and I've already got 8 hours logged in, its been a long time since a game has made me want to put in a lengthy play session like that.

Seriously, if any of you enjoyed Kena then you should give this game a look. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Sabo said:

The more I play Asterigos, the more I enjoy it. If the game can keep this up then it may end up being my GOTY. No joke. Got the game today and I've already got 8 hours logged in, its been a long time since a game has made me want to put in a lengthy play session like that.

O damn, I dug Kena! I will check this out!

14 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Did you get early access? It says it’s not available until the 11th. It looks fantastic!