The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

^ Dead Space is linear but you can backtrack to different areas and there are a lot of interconnected rooms with multiple hallways leading in/out of them. So Callisto Protocol is more limited than that?

WAY more limited.  I'm not lying when I'm saying this game is a straight line. 

At least up to what I've played at this point.  It gives you the ILLUSION of branching... but they're very short lived.  It'll never let you get too far out one way, before it shows you that you need that thing from the other place that you could have went.. and then you go there, get that, and then go right back.  The level design just isn't good at all, really.  There's so much damn vent crawling.. it pisses me off.  I don't know what they were thinking.. and it's not really scary at all.  There's not enough time for any real tension to grow before they shove a jump scare at you which doesn't scare you at all.

It sounds like I'm being hard on it, but I'm really not.  It's just not that good in those ways.  I actually like the combat in this game though.  I think they had a real neat idea, but that it wasn't executed quite right.  It's still good though, and differentiates itself from Dead Space enough for me.

Oh well I'm still enjoying it.  It has some bugs, and of course PC performance could be better... but hey at least it doesn't have an NPC telling you to flip the switch, or find a different angle and shoot that thing there every time there's an obstacle! :hest: 

• Like 2
  • Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Remij said:

WAY more limited.  I'm not lying when I'm saying this game is a straight line. 

At least up to what I've played at this point.  It gives you the ILLUSION of branching... but they're very short lived.  It'll never let you get too far out one way, before it shows you that you need that thing from the other place that you could have went.. and then you go there, get that, and then go right back.  The level design just isn't good at all, really.  There's so much damn vent crawling.. it pisses me off.  I don't know what they were thinking.. and it's not really scary at all.  There's not enough time for any real tension to grow before they shove a jump scare at you which doesn't scare you at all.

It sounds like I'm being hard on it, but I'm really not.  It's just not that good in those ways.  I actually like the combat in this game though.  I think they had a real neat idea, but that it wasn't executed quite right.  It's still good though, and differentiates itself from Dead Space enough for me.

Oh well I'm still enjoying it.  It has some bugs, and of course PC performance could be better... but hey at least it doesn't have an NPC telling you to flip the switch, or find a different angle and shoot that thing there every time there's an obstacle! :hest: 

Remember when you claimed I’d be able to run this at 4K/60FPS on my 3070Ti? :mjpls:

1 hour ago, Remij said:

You can... if you turn some settings down like I said :cosby2: 

Yeah if I just turn down this setting, and that setting, and this other setting, oh and lets not forget about that other setting. Before I know it ill be playing the Series S version with the visuals ill be getting :hest:

Even post patch I bet the game is better on PS5 than it would be on my PC.

8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah if I just turn down this setting, and that setting, and this other setting, oh and lets not forget about that other setting. Before I know it ill be playing the Series S version with the visuals ill be getting :hest:

Even post patch I bet the game is better on PS5 than it would be on my PC.

Ok dude. :fblike: 

Finished Pentiment. As happy as I've ever been about finishing a game lol I did very much find it a slog but I can see how some may enjoy it. Story is fine but I feel you really need to be a fan of the time period and core setting to truly fully enjoy it. Personally found it paced too slow, gameplay options too limited, choices in the game seem to shape the story as you pick them, which sounds good but it's a detective game and I feel like regardless of who I accuse in certain situations the game will go with that and then shape the story to my choice, which I'm not sure Im a fan of. Overall probably a 6/10 for me. 

Monkey island and probably Scorn next. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Pentiment. As happy as I've ever been about finishing a game lol I did very much find it a slog but I can see how some may enjoy it. Story is fine but I feel you really need to be a fan of the time period and core setting to truly fully enjoy it. Personally found it paced too slow, gameplay options too limited, choices in the game seem to shape the story as you pick them, which sounds good but it's a detective game and I feel like regardless of who I accuse in certain situations the game will go with that and then shape the story to my choice, which I'm not sure Im a fan of. Overall probably a 6/10 for me. 

Monkey island and probably Scorn next. 

:smoke:

Finished Burnhouse Lane. That was a hell of an emotional ride :mjcry:, definitely my favorite game that the Michalski brothers have put out since Cat Lady. These guys are some of the most talented indie devs in the business, and I think this game has some of the best storytelling this year. I got some real David Lynch/Stephen King type of vibes from a lot of the scenes.

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Finished Burnhouse Lane. That was a hell of an emotional ride :mjcry:, definitely my favorite game that the Michalski brothers have put out since Cat Lady. These guys are some of the most talented indie devs in the business, and I think this game has some of the best storytelling this year. I got some real David Lynch/Stephen King type of vibes from a lot of the scenes.

PC PC #1 :juggle: 

:reg: 

• Geese 1
11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I think remij forgot there was a PS5 version of GoW. I can't fault him for that though, he was stuck playing it on PS4 afterall :lul: 

Pretty sure I remember you and I coming to the same conclusion that it wasn't that great... guess not even the PS5 could save it :hest: 

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Im about to go buy the Callisto Protocol.......for PS5 :hest: THHBO

Quoting this again, because they JUST dropped a 10GB patch...

patch.png

And this shit is butter smooth now.  I deleted the shader caches for the game and my drivers... now when you load up the game, it pre-compiles before getting into the menus.. I started a new game..

20221206195333-1.jpg

20221206195355-1.jpg

20221206200256-1.jpg

Nice beautiful straight line :glad: 

But still... this just goes to show that there's a real issue with QA for PC versions of games.. and especially with Unreal Engine like I've said... it has everything it needs to deal with shader compilation, but tons of developers either don't realize they have to build the cache of PSOs, or somewhere between the final and shipping builds, they miss a step and it accidentally gets shipped without the PSO cache.

The PC launch was ruined for nothing.. and that's what pisses me off about it and why I bitch on twitter to developers about it. :francis: 

Oh and they just posted that they aren't done optimizing yet.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

People weren't kidding about the combat in The Callisto Protocol. It sucks ass.

I actually quite like the combat in the game. 

Gonna make a big review about it when I finally finish the game.