The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

Just beat the Ape on my 2nd try B)

I feel like I’m closing in on the last bit of the game which is a little disappointing. Been a really good ride so far though, I think it’s definitely my favourite FROM game combat wise. It’s feels like a lot more focused of an experience and there’s some benefits to that, I’d imagine you can design a tighter experience when you only really have to account for one weapon. Speaking of that, I kinda enjoy not having to worry about gear and stats...in other FROM games I’m always kinda worried in the back of my head that I’m allocating stats wrong or missed a good weapon, etc. I’ve really just been focusing on the combat in this one and it’s a nice change of pace. I barely even bother upgrading my prosthetics tbh. 

That said, it’s giving me the urge to go play some Souls. My biggest complaint would be the lack of variety in the areas...it feels so small compared to the Souls games. Maybe that’s due to the setting of the areas being pretty similar...I feel like in Dark Souls you’re going through 12-15 areas that are all considerably different aesthetically. So far here there’s only really been 4-5 distinct settings and 2-3 of those were pretty short. I do love the settings they chose though, just doesn’t have that grand feeling. Part of that also has to do with it not being very interconnected, or rather the interconnectedness losing some of its impact cause it feels like the shortcuts are much less significant (maybe this is due to the frequency of bonfires and the fact that you can warp from the beginning). 

Edited by Casual
  • Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Casual said:

Just beat the Ape on my 2nd try B)

I feel like I’m closing in on the last bit of the game which is a little disappointing. Been a really good ride so far though, I think it’s definitely my favourite FROM game combat wise. It’s feels like a lot more focused of an experience and there’s some benefits to that, I’d imagine you can design a tighter experience when you only really have to account for one weapon. Speaking of that, I kinda enjoy not having to worry about gear and stats...in other FROM games I’m always kinda worried in the back of my head that I’m allocating stats wrong or missed a good weapon, etc. I’ve really just been focusing on the combat in this one and it’s a nice change of pace. I barely even bother upgrading my prosthetics tbh. 

That said, it’s giving me the urge to go play some Souls. My biggest complaint would be the lack of variety in the areas...it feels so small compared to the Souls games. Maybe that’s due to the setting of the areas being pretty similar...I feel like in Dark Souls you’re going through 12-15 areas that are all considerably different aesthetically. So far here there’s only really been 4-5 distinct settings and 2-3 of those were pretty short. I do love the settings they chose though, just doesn’t have that grand feeling. Part of that also has to do with it not being very interconnected, or rather the interconnectedness losing some of its impact cause it feels like the shortcuts are much less significant (maybe this is due to the frequency of bonfires and the fact that you can warp from the beginning). 

Which ape? :face: 

But yea, me too.  I'm feeling like I'm in very late game stuff here.. but I'm going to say that this has been an amazing game so far.  In some ways, it's very far ahead of the Souls games.  Combat is much better and more fun and visceral.  I love how impactful things are over the Souls games.  I love the idea of posture and having to break it, or whittle your enemy's health down to nothing for a fatal blow.  I also love how quickly posture regains depends on their health.  I really hope future games from them incorporate similar ideas into the combat where it's not just roll, attack, roll, roll, attack.  I feel like theres a lot of potential with these mechanics... some of which even Sekiro itself doesn't utilize to it's full potential.

The skill trees are very cool, but like you, I find its it's really nothing necessary, which is understandable, nothing in any of the Souls games is absolutely necessary, but they really need to give you more reason to want to invest in certain trees over the others.  I never have ever really worried about allocating things wrong in souls games because you can literally just keep leveling up.. and it gets easier as you familiarize yourself with the game and your character gets stronger.. so that was never an issue for me.  I mean, in all honesty, I think this game WOULD have been better if it had multiple weapons and styles, and more different types of loot to find.  Also, being realistic here.. the whole Souls MP and ghost players leaving hints and shit could have worked perfectly with the "yokai" angle of Japanese folklore.

IMO, Sekiro has some of the coolest level design and settings of any FROM games.  I think there was a pretty good amount of variety in the areas, considering it's based in a real world location.  There's some fucking incredibly beautiful areas in this game, and I don't think it feels small at all.   With Souls from had the ability to build a completely fantastically lateral world where any and all locations could be interconnected because it was made that way.  Logically, most game areas expand horizontally and not so much vertically.  That said, I feel the world cohesion in Sekiro is fucking incredible and if you really pay attention, you can see how it all connects.

And I'll say, you may not have found all locations in the game... there's tons of hidden areas.  But you're right about certain elements of the game which don't quite give it that "grand" feeling, or "it's own world" type feeling.  I think the things that helped the Souls games feel this was the amount of world building around covenants and how certain areas felt like "home" while others felt like you could never be safe.  You were a nameless character of countless characters that had passed through and didn't have any clearly defined goals.  That, and invasions and certain events only happening at certain times gave you more of a reason to hang out in those areas and have duels and explore.

I think Sekiro could have benefited from that kind of stuff as well... but it's a nice change to have a pre-defined character with his own motivations and thoughts.  They've really improved certain aspects of their game and design by making this game, and it will definitely help them in the future with regards to even better story telling and world building.. I'm sure.

It's my GOTY so far, even better than RE2.  They've done it again :blessed: 

• Upvote 1

Was tough starting Sekiro again after not touching it for a week but it returned quickly enough.

Beat the Monkeys... which was a weird af boss fight. That whole Temple area is a major step down in difficulty from prior ones imo. Or maybe I'm just better.

On to Ashina Depths now.

3 hours ago, Sabo said:

Still playing Sekiro when I have the time but I haven't touched it in a couple days. Tried to play some earlier but I have no idea where the fuck I'm suppose to go LOL.

Last thing I remember doing was I beat Genichiro and talked to the kid afterwards. IIRC, my main objective now is to grab stuff for the kid but I don't remember where he said this stuff was. I'm pretty sure I'm suppose to jump down the hole (an old lady is praying next to this hole) but I don't remember where that hole was.

What I did after that part (that was exactly where I stopped for a week so it's still very fresh).

Senpou Temple.

You reach it by swimming to the end of the Abandoned Dungeon and going up an elevator.

Completed that entire area first and am now going to do what you're talking about (jumping down that hole where the lady is praying: Ashina Depths).

Pretty sure Ashina Depths is a tougher area than Senpou Temple so I'd recommend doing ST first.

9 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Which ape? :face: 

But yea, me too.  I'm feeling like I'm in very late game stuff here.. but I'm going to say that this has been an amazing game so far.  In some ways, it's very far ahead of the Souls games.  Combat is much better and more fun and visceral.  I love how impactful things are over the Souls games.  I love the idea of posture and having to break it, or whittle your enemy's health down to nothing for a fatal blow.  I also love how quickly posture regains depends on their health.  I really hope future games from them incorporate similar ideas into the combat where it's not just roll, attack, roll, roll, attack.  I feel like theres a lot of potential with these mechanics... some of which even Sekiro itself doesn't utilize to it's full potential.

The skill trees are very cool, but like you, I find its it's really nothing necessary, which is understandable, nothing in any of the Souls games is absolutely necessary, but they really need to give you more reason to want to invest in certain trees over the others.  I never have ever really worried about allocating things wrong in souls games because you can literally just keep leveling up.. and it gets easier as you familiarize yourself with the game and your character gets stronger.. so that was never an issue for me.  I mean, in all honesty, I think this game WOULD have been better if it had multiple weapons and styles, and more different types of loot to find.  Also, being realistic here.. the whole Souls MP and ghost players leaving hints and shit could have worked perfectly with the "yokai" angle of Japanese folklore.

IMO, Sekiro has some of the coolest level design and settings of any FROM games.  I think there was a pretty good amount of variety in the areas, considering it's based in a real world location.  There's some fucking incredibly beautiful areas in this game, and I don't think it feels small at all.   With Souls from had the ability to build a completely fantastically lateral world where any and all locations could be interconnected because it was made that way.  Logically, most game areas expand horizontally and not so much vertically.  That said, I feel the world cohesion in Sekiro is fucking incredible and if you really pay attention, you can see how it all connects.

And I'll say, you may not have found all locations in the game... there's tons of hidden areas.  But you're right about certain elements of the game which don't quite give it that "grand" feeling, or "it's own world" type feeling.  I think the things that helped the Souls games feel this was the amount of world building around covenants and how certain areas felt like "home" while others felt like you could never be safe.  You were a nameless character of countless characters that had passed through and didn't have any clearly defined goals.  That, and invasions and certain events only happening at certain times gave you more of a reason to hang out in those areas and have duels and explore.

I think Sekiro could have benefited from that kind of stuff as well... but it's a nice change to have a pre-defined character with his own motivations and thoughts.  They've really improved certain aspects of their game and design by making this game, and it will definitely help them in the future with regards to even better story telling and world building.. I'm sure.

It's my GOTY so far, even better than RE2.  They've done it again :blessed: 

Guardian Ape in the Sunken Passage. I think I gotta go to the Depths now but not positive

Yeah the posture system is fantastic imo. It feels like a much more flexible Stamina system that works both ways. I feel like a lot of people will start playing it like a Souls game but once you let go of that it really clicks and becomes fantastic. 

I definitely enjoy the level design, the verticality is something I'd like to see make it to the Souls games somehow. Agreed that it's beautiful too, love the snow setting in particular and Senpou was so lush. It's got a brighter tone which Souls games have never really explored. There's so many other settings I'd love to see FROM explore, feels like they've nailed everything that they've tried up to this point.

Agreed that it's the GOTY so far though. That said, I haven't played RE2 or DMCV yet. Missed them at launch and at this point I think I'll wait till they see a sale.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Was tough starting Sekiro again after not touching it for a week but it returned quickly enough.

Beat the Monkeys... which was a weird af boss fight. That whole Temple area is a major step down in difficulty from prior ones imo. Or maybe I'm just better.

On to Ashina Depths now.

What I did after that part (that was exactly where I stopped for a week so it's still very fresh).

Reveal hidden contents

Senpou Temple.

You reach it by swimming to the end of the Abandoned Dungeon and going up an elevator.

Completed that entire area first and am now going to do what you're talking about (jumping down that hole where the lady is praying: Ashina Depths).

Pretty sure Ashina Depths is a tougher area than Senpou Temple so I'd recommend doing ST first.

wait are the monkeys in the temple area? i feel like i exhausted all the spots in that area and never came across that fight.

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

wait are the monkeys in the temple area? i feel like i exhausted all the spots in that area and never came across that fight.

Spoiler

Yea.  After you beat Genichiro you go back to the Temple Main Hall, then on alter in front of the statue there's a bell for you to ring, and you get teleported to the area/fight.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Honestly don't know how I will be able to go back to play a Souls game after this. The combat in this is simply too good.

I think they HAVE to evolve the Souls combat after this, if they decide to ever make a Souls game again.  Simply attack, roll, attack, roll.. won't suffice anymore.  Sure, the different move-sets from the different weapons is nice and interesting.. but they have to introduce another mechanic that affects how effective different weapons are and how armor plays into it.

I think it would be cool if armor actually played more of an important role and was a mechanic in itself.  Both you and enemies have a "vulnerability" mechanic where your attacks lowered the efficiency of armor, leaving you/enemies more vulnerable as the fight goes on.  Depleting enough of their vulnerability would stagger them allowing you to finish them off.  The type of weapon you use, and armor they have would play into how fast or slow it built up.. meaning you'd have to work harder to make them bleed and eventually kill them.  Looking for openings to attack ect ect.  Basically make it like Sekiro where their HP isn't the only thing you have to deplete.  There could be other ways to land "devastating blows" and finish enemies off quickly.  Bows could have a bleed effect on enemies which weren't heavily armored, but heavy armored enemies would need to be taken out by other means, or have their armor (vulnerability) reduced enough to where you could safely finish them off from more of a distance with the bow/magic.

Some enemies could be more magically inclined and/or harder to hit or get close to, but they would take more damage when you actually get in on them.

I kind of thought the "fatal blow" thing might become tired by the end of the game in Sekiro, but that's absolutely NOT the case for me.  It's still just as satisfying as it was the first few times.  I fucking LOVE how visceral they feel and the "finality" of knowing that you've killed them.  Running through a mob of enemies and killing them one after the other with these fatal blows feels fucking phenomenal.  The sound feedback is also really important.  It's just like landing a backstab in Dark Souls when you hear the sound.  It's a rewarding sound, and it never loses it's appeal.

Sekiro might very well be my favorite FROM game.  It's simply too hard to deny how much they have improved their craft throughout the years on these games.  I think the only reason why I would say it might not be my favorite game of theirs, would be the simple fact that there's a certain amount of magic involved in that first experience, which can't ever truly be replicated 100%.  This game, even more than Bloodborne gives me the feeling of something different an new, but still Souls-y enough that the roots show.

Game is a 10/10 :bow: 

Orin of the Water was embarrassing my ass and she's just a miniboss. Dealt with thankfully and fairly quickly after beat the Corrupted Monk.... although no trophy popped. First time after a major boss fight. 

Did all of Sunken Valley and up to the Guardian Ape now but I stopped after one attempt cause I don't have enough time to learn and beat him just yet. 

I think I'm slowly nearing the end. I get this second item for Kuro then I assume it's the last area/boss? We'll see. 

Overall I have absolutely loved this game. From a gameplay perspective it is by such a long way FROM's best game imo. Like I said I don't think I can go back to the Souls dodge and attack combat. Just doesn't seem involved in any way compared to this. No game does tbh. This feels like proper sword/weapon combat in a game for possibly the first time. 

It's hard for me to say if it is better or not than Bloodborne though because Bloodborne's setting and intertwining level design was just so damn good. I also feel those bosses whooped my ass a lot more than these. Definitely remember far bigger celebrations when they went down when here it's a different sort of feeling. I do think though that technically Sekiro is better. I love the focus on a single weapon and the ditching of 'builds'. I love the verticality of the level design but it definitely came at the expense of the intertwining level design of Bloodborne. It is also far more samey than Bloodborne. 

Overall it is clearly my GOTY so far but I haven't played some of the other major releases this year so far. But the fact I'm having a hard time saying 'bloodborne is better' (which is my second fav game this gen) says enough. The game is a FROM masterpiece.

3 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I think they HAVE to evolve the Souls combat after this, if they decide to ever make a Souls game again.  Simply attack, roll, attack, roll.. won't suffice anymore.  Sure, the different move-sets from the different weapons is nice and interesting.. but they have to introduce another mechanic that affects how effective different weapons are and how armor plays into it.

I think it would be cool if armor actually played more of an important role and was a mechanic in itself.  Both you and enemies have a "vulnerability" mechanic where your attacks lowered the efficiency of armor, leaving you/enemies more vulnerable as the fight goes on.  Depleting enough of their vulnerability would stagger them allowing you to finish them off.  The type of weapon you use, and armor they have would play into how fast or slow it built up.. meaning you'd have to work harder to make them bleed and eventually kill them.  Looking for openings to attack ect ect.  Basically make it like Sekiro where their HP isn't the only thing you have to deplete.  There could be other ways to land "devastating blows" and finish enemies off quickly.  Bows could have a bleed effect on enemies which weren't heavily armored, but heavy armored enemies would need to be taken out by other means, or have their armor (vulnerability) reduced enough to where you could safely finish them off from more of a distance with the bow/magic.

Some enemies could be more magically inclined and/or harder to hit or get close to, but they would take more damage when you actually get in on them.

I kind of thought the "fatal blow" thing might become tired by the end of the game in Sekiro, but that's absolutely NOT the case for me.  It's still just as satisfying as it was the first few times.  I fucking LOVE how visceral they feel and the "finality" of knowing that you've killed them.  Running through a mob of enemies and killing them one after the other with these fatal blows feels fucking phenomenal.  The sound feedback is also really important.  It's just like landing a backstab in Dark Souls when you hear the sound.  It's a rewarding sound, and it never loses it's appeal.

Sekiro might very well be my favorite FROM game.  It's simply too hard to deny how much they have improved their craft throughout the years on these games.  I think the only reason why I would say it might not be my favorite game of theirs, would be the simple fact that there's a certain amount of magic involved in that first experience, which can't ever truly be replicated 100%.  This game, even more than Bloodborne gives me the feeling of something different an new, but still Souls-y enough that the roots show.

Game is a 10/10 :bow: 

Yeah if they return to the Soulsborne world and combat they definitely need to change things up. Your armour idea is one I like and it would match well into the multiple weapon systems of a Soulsbourne game. I do prefer the focus of Sekiro better. You always know you're equipped to win the fight, comes pure to skill. You never need to wonder if you're just not using the right weapon or whatever. 

Imo FROM needs to take a break from Souls game for quite a while. I assume BB2 is in development for PS5 but outside of that I really hope they take their new found talents and apply them to some of their other franchises. Imagine them trying to make their form of combat for an Armored Core game. 

I think I did things in the wrong order. Should have done the Depths before Guardian Ape

When you beat Guardian Ape, he moves to the depths and you have to beat him and a friend...it's technically optional it seems but only if you don't beat him before going there. Anyway, I still fucked them up, and got two prayer beads so it was worth it. At the hidden forest area now

Owl Fight 2 is rough LOL. Took me like 7-8 tries to beat him. First phase of the fight isn't too bad, the gunpowder/flame strike combination attack is the only thing that you really need to look out for because it will pretty much one shot you. The rest of his attacks are pretty straight forward. The second phase of this fight though... holy hell Owl is a terror in this phase.

The one thing that kinda holds Sekiro back for me is that the sections between bosses are way too easy. The Soulsborne games just had so much satisfaction outside of bosses and that feeling of relief when you see a new bonfire or open a new shortcut is completely absent in this game.