The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

19 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Damn. I might have to get Deathloop once I finish Halo Valhalla.

🤣🤣

I’m having a hard time playing halo. It feels so slow and dull after completing Deathloop lol. I’ll give Halo another shot tonight. Hopefully, it picks up. 

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Mangler might be my favourite weapon in a shooter in awhile. :wow2:

It just seems like a typical sci fi magnum/revolver to me. Most of the weapons i've encountered are pretty standard Halo fare so far, but I do like that explosives launcher that lets you lock onto enemies and then the projectiles home in on them.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

It just seems like a typical sci fi magnum/revolver to me. Most of the weapons i've encountered are pretty standard Halo fare so far, but I do like that explosives launcher that lets you lock onto enemies and then the projectiles home in on them.

It's not a hit scan weapon and it has bullet drop. It's pretty far removed from being a standard magnum, but having that magnum power to two tap a brute from medium range while accounting for projectile speed and bullet drop feels so fucking good.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I just get into Halo. It’s just not for me anymore.

Its not really clicking with me either. I was totally down for a new Halo game so I wasn't expecting to be underwhelmed by both the multiplayer and campaign. Ill play a few more missions and see if anything changes, but if not then im just gonna drop it.

Haven't gamed that much lately but have played a bit of Halo campaign. It's alright but it is literally Ubisoft Halo and not even modern AC Ubisoft. Thankfully the Halo gunplay is fun and we haven't really done this before with a Halo game so it feels fresh in that sense even though it is pure checkpoint list formula in a fairly bland world. Personally I would've preferred a classic tight campaign but it is what it is. From my time with the MP and SP so far i'd say it's a 7.5-8 kind of game. I really think it should've came out before Forza. Forza is so clearly at the absolute top of it's genre then this feels like it's an ok middling type game. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Haven't gamed that much lately but have played a bit of Halo campaign. It's alright but it is literally Ubisoft Halo and not even modern AC Ubisoft. Thankfully the Halo gunplay is fun and we haven't really done this before with a Halo game so it feels fresh in that sense even though it is pure checkpoint list formula in a fairly bland world. Personally I would've preferred a classic tight campaign but it is what it is. From my time with the MP and SP so far i'd say it's a 7.5-8 kind of game. I really think it should've came out before Forza. Forza is so clearly at the absolute top of it's genre then this feels like it's an ok middling type game. 

yeah, halo is a snoozefest. forza horizon is easily the flagship franchise now.

Just now, Twinblade said:

It’s not even their best shooter franchise. Gears shits on it and I hope MS can now focus on the next entry in that series.

no doubt. gears 5 is significantly better than halo. gears 6 will own!

Finished Halo Infinite

I cannot believe how lackluster this game was. I was fully down to play a new Halo game, and you'd think after the development time and and money they put into this game this would be the comeback the series needed. Instead, its the exact opposite

- You'd think that given how small the open world was (compared to other games in the genre) it was at least be detailed and and dense right? Nope, instead 343 set out to break records when it comes to the least amount of unique assets in an open world landscape. Between the samey looking grey cliffs, forerunner pillars  trees, rocks, dirt roads, grass you would be forgiven if you thought that they just punched a few variables into a world generator app and then called it a day. So many parts of the world look procedurally generated because of how repetitive the landscapes and geometry are.

- But theres gotta at least be some interesting side content to partake in right? I guess so, if you think clearing out the same few FOB outposts or saving the same few cloned marines over and over again is interesting. And you're only reward for these tasks is valor points, which do nothing but unlock weapons/vehicles at FOB bases, the same ones that are already littered all of over the place. There is 0 incentive to partake in the side content. You can also find spartan cores to upgrade your equipment, but the reality is that none of the equipment is actually worth using outside of the grappling hook, at least on the normal difficulty. I don't understand why would they group it with the rest of the equipment, there is pretty much no reason to use anything else. Its just another part of the game that seems poorly thought out.

-  So you decide to just stick to the main missions, and then you quickly realize that after a few that they're literally all the same. Go to a point on the map, enter a dungeon, access a few terminals throughout while listening to your AI's saturday morning cartoon level quips, maybe get into an average boss battle, and then rinse and repeat for the next dozen or so hours. Despite taking place across the biggest landmass in the series, it actually feels smaller than any of the previous games. My favorite moments in Halo have always been the large scripted battles where you have a ton of marines and enemies battling out in large sandbox areas, and on top of that the skybox is filled with ships from both sides battling it out, explosions everywhere, just a bunch of things like that to add to the atmosphere and give you the impression that you're involved in a massive war. Thats what they should have focused their resources on, used the next gen tech to put me in battles with dozens if not hundreds of enemies and solders, but Infinite has none of that. At most I saw 4-5 marines join me in some of the fights and they would just quickly die a minute or 2 later. Set pieces in general are practically non existent. The bulk of the combat is just clearing out bases or fighting through the similar looking rooms and corridors in the dungeons.

- But what about the story? TBH as someone who's not big into the Halo lore I just found it to be completely unengaging. Just like the mission design it does the bare minimum to get you from place to place, but the big story moments didn't leave much of an impression on me at all. As for the villains, the less said about them the better. If you want poorly developed and cliche enemies as antagonists then this game has them in spades.

So yeah, the game is mess and I was definitely underwhelmed. Despite how harsh Im being I did usually enjoy the combat. Its less impressive than it used to be, especially when there's so many good combat focused shooters nowadays (like Doom and Wolfenstein) but its still fun and chaotic even if it does feel pretty repetitive (especially since there's no big battles involving scarabs or other large enemies or set piece moments in general to break things up).

My overall rating is a 6.5

• Upvote 1
  • dead 1
10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Finished Halo Infinite

I cannot believe how lackluster this game was. I was fully down to play a new Halo game, and you'd think after the development time and and money they put into this game this would be the comeback the series needed. Instead, its the exact opposite

- You'd think that given how small the open world was (compared to other games in the genre) it was at least be detailed and and dense right? Nope, instead 343 set out to break records when it comes to the least amount of unique assets in an open world landscape. Between the samey looking grey cliffs, forerunner pillars  trees, rocks, dirt roads, grass you would be forgiven if you thought that they just punched a few variables into a world generator app and then called it a day. So many parts of the world look procedurally generated because of how repetitive the landscapes and geometry are.

- But theres gotta at least be some interesting side content to partake in right? I guess so, if you think clearing out the same few FOB outposts or saving the same few cloned marines over and over again is interesting. And you're only reward for these tasks is valor points, which do nothing but unlock weapons/vehicles at FOB bases, the same ones that are already littered all of over the place. There is 0 incentive to partake in the side content. You can also find spartan cores to upgrade your equipment, but the reality is that none of the equipment is actually worth using outside of the grappling hook, at least on the normal difficulty. I don't understand why would they group it with the rest of the equipment, there is pretty much no reason to use anything else. Its just another part of the game that seems poorly thought out.

-  So you decide to just stick to the main missions, and then you quickly realize that after a few that they're literally all the same. Go to a point on the map, enter a dungeon, access a few terminals throughout while listening to your AI's saturday morning cartoon level quips, maybe get into an average boss battle, and then rinse and repeat for the next dozen or so hours. Despite taking place across the biggest landmass in the series, it actually feels smaller than any of the previous games. My favorite moments in Halo have always been the large scripted battles where you have a ton of marines and enemies battling out in large sandbox areas, and on top of that the skybox is filled with ships from both sides battling it out, explosions everywhere, just a bunch of things like that to add to the atmosphere and give you the impression that you're involved in a massive war. Thats what they should have focused their resources on, used the next gen tech to put me in battles with dozens if not hundreds of enemies and solders, but Infinite has none of that. At most I saw 4-5 marines join me in some of the fights and they would just quickly die a minute or 2 later. Set pieces in general are practically non existent. The bulk of the combat is just clearing out bases or fighting through the similar looking rooms and corridors in the dungeons.

- But what about the story? TBH as someone who's not big into the Halo lore I just found it to be completely unengaging. Just like the mission design it does the bare minimum to get you from place to place, but the big story moments didn't leave much of an impression on me at all. As for the villains, the less said about them the better. If you want poorly developed and cliche enemies as antagonists then this game has them in spades.

So yeah, the game is mess and I was definitely underwhelmed. Despite how harsh Im being I did usually enjoy the combat. Its less impressive than it used to be, especially when there's so many good combat focused shooters nowadays (like Doom and Wolfenstein) but its still fun and chaotic even if it does feel pretty repetitive (especially since there's no big battles involving scarabs or other large enemies or set piece moments in general to break things up).

My overall rating is a 6.5

i sensed this after spending a few hours with it. i'm glad i dropped it. great review! +1

4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

i sensed this after spending a few hours with it. i'm glad i dropped it. great review! +1

I tried to be as unbiased as possible while playing the game which makes me pretty shocked at how well its being received by reviewers. Its like they're willing to ignore the many objective problems the game has because they have a hard on for master chief and halo.

10 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I tried to be as unbiased as possible while playing the game which makes me pretty shocked at how well its being received by reviewers. Its like they're willing to ignore the many objective problems the game has because they have a hard on for master chief and halo.

My buddy at work is obsessed with Halo and he didn’t like the campaign either. He loves the multiplayer, though.