The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I’m think I’m gonna go offline in Deathloop. The Julianna invasions aren’t fun and just feel like interruptions to my progress in the game. Doesn’t help that I’m on PC using a controller, while other PC gamers are likely using KBM so there’s no way I can outgun them.

wait for her encounter, then turn off the system's wifi. she will disappear :smokefro:

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

wait for her encounter, then turn off the system's wifi. she will disappear :smokefro:

This game honestly has so many frustrating mechanics. I was just doing the Frank section and had the class pass so I had no restarts. I get to the end and get ambushed by enemies so I decide to deploy one of the many turrets scattered around. Yet for some reason if you just pick up the briefcase and deploy the turret it’ll still be hostile towards you, that got me killed and now I have to start everything all over again. Just completely unintuitive.

Just now, Twinblade said:

This game honestly has so many frustrating mechanics. I was just doing the Frank section and had the class pass so I had no restarts. I get to the end and get ambushed by enemies so I decide to deploy one of the many turrets scattered around. Yet for some reason if you just pick up the briefcase and deploy the turret it’ll still be hostile towards you, that got me killed and now I have to start everything all over again. Just completely unintuitive.

it's because the taurets, whether active or inactive, are all programmed. you'll have to hack them all (i believe there's a trinket that avoids all of that - but never found it). as for the class pass, doesn't that disable your slabs? i snuck into his place from a nook in the back of the building (i think by rocks). you don't lose your slabs. frank's gun is GODLY! make sure you infuse it.

8 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Eh, I think main missions that don't force you into being closed off from the open world is a feather in the game's cap. Halo has always had big sandbox areas that act as a bridge to the linear levels being where most of the "main" levels are, this game just does them better.

I think this does those sandbox moments better than the others but then every other type of Halo moment far far worse and the problem is that those sandbox moments already exist in the side mission/open world nature of the game. So adding a main mission that is essentially 'kill everyone and press X at this location' to side missions that are already 'kill everyone and press X at this location' isn't making up for the complete lack of epic/large scale moments. 

Let's put it this way, is there a single mission in this game that you would rate as a Top 10 Halo mission? Because I can't think of a single one that even comes close. This is a next gen Halo, on the most powerful system ever, been in development for 6+ years, in a time where some incredible games exist and there is less epic moments than Halo 2. I would honestly say that nearly every other game has at least 1 or 2 better missions than any of these, even other 343 Halo games and Halo 2, 3, Reach, etc has tonnes better. Like even for eg, at the end of this game, after you defeat the final boss, the 'escape' from that facility is a cutscene. Other Halo games would've had some epic scene on a warthog escaping the building while shit blows up. Or even just larger scale battles with fellow soldiers... this game actually has an achievement to bring a soldier to a battle, because the game never has a moment it does it for you. The only grand-ish battle that sticks out is the assault on the final boss building. 

Then again, we might just be looking for different things, to me it's just the new open world doesn't feel new at all, feels like I've played tonnes of games like this, it's just a Halo skin on every standard open world game for the last 10 years, meanwhile it has lost some of the really cool, big moments that made Halo stand out. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Scarab battles are few and far between. Bungie games are great because they have the tight, linear levels that work as combat puzzles (on higher difficulties), sandbox levels with vehicles that provide some freedom in tackling a handful of objects, and big epic set pieces that happen a couple times per game. Infinite lacks those set pieces, but the average sandbox level that pushes you toward your next objective are the best the series has seen in Infinite.

This idea that Halo is massive set piece after massive set piece is just weird.

This is exactly what I feel Infinite lacks. There isn't that level of variety, it most definitely doesn't tick all those boxes of what makes Bungie Halo games great and the lack of the 1 or 2 big epic set pieces left a huge void to me, especially because it had sooooooo much of the open sandbox given the nature of the game. Then that issue is amplified because every time you did go into a facility for a closed off main mission, they were so bland and repetitive. 

Halo is most definitely not COD, where it is set piece after set piece, but it is also very much well known for it's epic set pieces. It's what made it stand out early on. The scale of the world and the battles.

13 hours ago, madmaltese said:

I think this does those sandbox moments better than the others but then every other type of Halo moment far far worse and the problem is that those sandbox moments already exist in the side mission/open world nature of the game. So adding a main mission that is essentially 'kill everyone and press X at this location' to side missions that are already 'kill everyone and press X at this location' isn't making up for the complete lack of epic/large scale moments. 

I think it's a bit reductionist to frame it as 'killing everyone and pressing X' since most games fit that for the majority of their objectives, but I see where you're coming from with regards to the sandbox moments existing elsewhere and definitely agree that it doesn't make up for the lack of epic missions.

Let's put it this way, is there a single mission in this game that you would rate as a Top 10 Halo mission? Because I can't think of a single one that even comes close. This is a next gen Halo, on the most powerful system ever, been in development for 6+ years, in a time where some incredible games exist and there is less epic moments than Halo 2. I would honestly say that nearly every other game has at least 1 or 2 better missions than any of these, even other 343 Halo games and Halo 2, 3, Reach, etc has tonnes better.

I think The Road and Pelican Down are noteworthy. Probably not top 10, but top 20 for sure.

I agree that Infinite lacks the highs that other games have, but ODST is probably my second favourite campaign behind 3 and I don't think there's much in the way of standout missions there, either. I just found ODST really solid throughout and loved the gameplay. Infinite is similar but lacks the consistency of ODST, but that's why I would have Infinite below every Bungie Halo. I never even bothered to finish 4 and 5, so I definitely can't get behind the idea that having higher highs makes those better games than Infinite. Disappointing that even bad 343 games have moments that Infinite doesn't? For sure.

14 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Like even for eg, at the end of this game, after you defeat the final boss, the 'escape' from that facility is a cutscene. Other Halo games would've had some epic scene on a warthog escaping the building while shit blows up. Or even just larger scale battles with fellow soldiers... this game actually has an achievement to bring a soldier to a battle, because the game never has a moment it does it for you. The only grand-ish battle that sticks out is the assault on the final boss building. 

Again, I definitely think it lacks the big battles.

Another example of this 'pretty obvious moment for a previous game to insert a set piece' is when the pilot gets kidnapped. We're at the top of a tower in the middle of Banished territory. We've deactivated the spires so it's of no use anymore to the Banished. The Banished know we're trapped at the top of the spire if they grab the pilot, but the plan is to just kidnap the pilot and let Master Chief come to them instead of like sieging Master Chief or trying to destroy the spire. Halo 3 would have dropped a scarab onto the cliff side that shoots at the spire as we try to escape, then we'd have to fight our way up to the cliff to get to it and then destroy it. Infinite we just...suddenly and magically have the ability to create portals and portal out lol. It's real dumb.

Then again, we might just be looking for different things, to me it's just the new open world doesn't feel new at all, feels like I've played tonnes of games like this, it's just a Halo skin on every standard open world game for the last 10 years, meanwhile it has lost some of the really cool, big moments that made Halo stand out. 

I don't think we're too far off in what we're looking for. Ultimately we both agree that Infinite doesn't touch Bungie's stuff, the lack of major set pieces is a big knock against the game, and the indoor sections are pretty bland and repetitive. I just have a higher opinion of the outdoor main missions.

16 hours ago, madmaltese said:

This is exactly what I feel Infinite lacks. There isn't that level of variety, it most definitely doesn't tick all those boxes of what makes Bungie Halo games great and the lack of the 1 or 2 big epic set pieces left a huge void to me, especially because it had sooooooo much of the open sandbox given the nature of the game. Then that issue is amplified because every time you did go into a facility for a closed off main mission, they were so bland and repetitive. 

Beyond just the variety is the flow. Epic set pieces that aren't earned aren't special but Bungie did a good job of moving you between those sandbox environments and the linear environments, then culminating a couple hours of gameplay with a set piece that made that section of the game feel rewarding. Make that the formula and people will expect it, they'll look forward to it, and that anticipation will make the minute-to-minute gameplay feel more rewarding because you know it's building towards something and you're excited at what it could be.

Epic moments in Halo make up maybe 10% of the content, but it's not like just not having that 10% makes the game 10% worse. It's much bigger than that.

3 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

I think it's a bit reductionist to frame it as 'killing everyone and pressing X' since most games fit that for the majority of their objectives, but I see where you're coming from with regards to the sandbox moments existing elsewhere and definitely agree that it doesn't make up for the lack of epic missions.

I think The Road and Pelican Down are noteworthy. Probably not top 10, but top 20 for sure.

I agree that Infinite lacks the highs that other games have, but ODST is probably my second favourite campaign behind 3 and I don't think there's much in the way of standout missions there, either. I just found ODST really solid throughout and loved the gameplay. Infinite is similar but lacks the consistency of ODST, but that's why I would have Infinite below every Bungie Halo. I never even bothered to finish 4 and 5, so I definitely can't get behind the idea that having higher highs makes those better games than Infinite. Disappointing that even bad 343 games have moments that Infinite doesn't? For sure.

Again, I definitely think it lacks the big battles.

Another example of this 'pretty obvious moment for a previous game to insert a set piece' is when the pilot gets kidnapped. We're at the top of a tower in the middle of Banished territory. We've deactivated the spires so it's of no use anymore to the Banished. The Banished know we're trapped at the top of the spire if they grab the pilot, but the plan is to just kidnap the pilot and let Master Chief come to them instead of like sieging Master Chief or trying to destroy the spire. Halo 3 would have dropped a scarab onto the cliff side that shoots at the spire as we try to escape, then we'd have to fight our way up to the cliff to get to it and then destroy it. Infinite we just...suddenly and magically have the ability to create portals and portal out lol. It's real dumb.

I don't think we're too far off in what we're looking for. Ultimately we both agree that Infinite doesn't touch Bungie's stuff, the lack of major set pieces is a big knock against the game, and the indoor sections are pretty bland and repetitive. I just have a higher opinion of the outdoor main missions.

Beyond just the variety is the flow. Epic set pieces that aren't earned aren't special but Bungie did a good job of moving you between those sandbox environments and the linear environments, then culminating a couple hours of gameplay with a set piece that made that section of the game feel rewarding. Make that the formula and people will expect it, they'll look forward to it, and that anticipation will make the minute-to-minute gameplay feel more rewarding because you know it's building towards something and you're excited at what it could be.

Epic moments in Halo make up maybe 10% of the content, but it's not like just not having that 10% makes the game 10% worse. It's much bigger than that.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. 

For the record I very much think this is 343's best Halo game (despite 4 and 5 maybe having a couple better highs) and it is definitely a step in the right direction for the franchise after the last couple of misteps. It's just not everything I had hoped it would be given the time, investment and technological improvements since the last one. Or maybe Halo just isn't that anymore. 

I finished Halo and it was probably one of my most liked Halo campaigns. Really the gameplay in this game is the best out of any shooter i played in recent times or outside of Halo. The story plays out pretty dark and while the game dragged a little bit at points it was fantastic all around. The grappling hook is legit and games are gonna feel weird without one now. The way the enemies interact and the shit they say is hilarious sometimes too. The open world stuff could have been fleshed out some for sure but i really enjoyed the gameplay and story. If felt like Halo but it didnt feel like Halo. 9/10

Bought some PS games on EGS. Horizon ZD, Kena and Detroit.  Started HZD and its pretty good so far. Booted Kena just to see what its like and idk if im gonna like this game but ill give it a shot at some point. I liked the Detroit demo on steam so ima check that out soon and i need to get back into FH5 cause i basically dropped that when Halo came out.

• Upvote 1

Finished Deathloop. Definitely enjoyed it, though admittedly It was getting pretty repetitive by the end and was starting to out stay it’s welcome. I can’t remember the last time that I was able to finish a roguelike though, so this did feel more engaging than the typical one for me. At the end of the day it’s pretty much a successor to Dishonored but with a neat time/loop mechanic. 

8/10

edit: and whats up with the endings? I realize story isn't the game's strong suit, but i just watched the ones I missed on youtube and they're all pretty unfulfilling.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Finished Deathloop. Definitely enjoyed it, though admittedly It was getting pretty repetitive by the end and was starting to out stay it’s welcome. I can’t remember the last time that I was able to finish a roguelike though, so this did feel more engaging than the typical one for me. At the end of the day it’s pretty much a successor to Dishonored but with a neat time/loop mechanic. 

8/10

edit: and whats up with the endings? I realize story isn't the game's strong suit, but i just watched the ones I missed on youtube and they're all pretty unfulfilling.

Yeah, the endings are awful, but I’m glad you enjoyed it. How awesome was nexus with infection and double shift? 

16 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yeah, the endings are awful, but I’m glad you enjoyed it. How awesome was nexus with infection and double shift? 

I mainly used the improved shift and aether. They both made it easier to cut through enemy positions without being noticed. I wish the game let you equip 3 powers, I think 2 felt a bit too restrictive. I didn’t really get the chance to play around with the abilities and upgrades that much.

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I mainly used the improved shift and aether. They both made it easier to cut through enemy positions without being noticed. I wish the game let you equip 3 powers, I think 2 felt a bit too restrictive. I didn’t really get the chance to play around with the abilities and upgrades that much.

That’s a great combo, but shifting to a high vantage point, and seeing one nexus blast link every enemy in an area for a one hit kill = peak high. 

9 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Finished the first day in Deathloop. The enemy AI is real bad. :ben:

The AI improves the more powerful you get, but it still has its issues (you’re not spotted up close, yet some mofos will spot you from far away).