The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

I actually quite like the combat in the game. 

Gonna make a big review about it when I finally finish the game.

The dodging/blocking feels bad and inconsistent. Even when it seems that im timing it correctly ill manage to get hit. Im still early so maybe I just need to get more of a feel for it, but a full game of this type of combat doesn't seem like its gonna be enjoyable.

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The dodging/blocking feels bad and inconsistent. Even when it seems that im timing it correctly ill manage to get hit. Im still early so maybe I just need to get more of a feel for it, but a full game of this type of combat doesn't seem like its gonna be enjoyable.

You don't "time it"... you simply hold the L-stick in one direction or the other, and then when they swing it will dodge.. then you just have to make sure that the next time they swing you're holding the opposite direction.

But as the game goes on and you get your GRP ability, things open up a bit.  There's also a blocking mechanic by pressing back.. and you eventually get a follow up low attack which can knock enemies down and set them up for either a blast or stomping.

It's actually kinda like a fighting game.  You just have to be patient at sometimes let enemies attack you and then wait for your counter attacks.

12 minutes ago, Remij said:

You don't "time it"... you simply hold the L-stick in one direction or the other, and then when they swing it will dodge.. then you just have to make sure that the next time they swing you're holding the opposite direction.

But as the game goes on and you get your GRP ability, things open up a bit.  There's also a blocking mechanic by pressing back.. and you eventually get a follow up low attack which can knock enemies down and set them up for either a blast or stomping.

It's actually kinda like a fighting game.  You just have to be patient at sometimes let enemies attack you and then wait for your counter attacks.

I guess im being a bit impatient, cause I always try to get 2 hits in before dodging. Sometimes it works, but other times an enemy will interrupt me during the wind up for the 2nd hit so I take damage that could be avoided.

But I know for sure im getting hit when dodging sometimes. I can only assume its because my character is colliding with geometry and not finishing the full animation. Thats definitely something that could have been better designed.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I guess im being a bit impatient, cause I always try to get 2 hits in before dodging. Sometimes it works, but other times an enemy will interrupt me during the wind up for the 2nd hit so I take damage that could be avoided.

But I know for sure im getting hit when dodging sometimes. I can only assume its because my character is colliding with geometry and not finishing the full animation. Thats definitely something that could have been better designed.

Yes, that's exactly what I was doing in the beginning too.  I'm sure most people did exactly that.  You have to learn the enemy AI patterns.  

Once you get used to it, you'll be using your GRP to interrupt enemy attacks and then smashing them, and shooting them for quick kills.

I will say though, there's one enemy... that I know you'll hate with all your might.  And it might kill the game for you.  Because it's a bitch. lol

Anyway, the game DEFINITELY has problems.. and I can understand some people not liking the combat... but you have to learn the rules and once it gets comfortable, it's pretty damn cool.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I will say the graphics and production values in general are top notch. I actually skimmed through the intro footage from the Dead Space remake that was released recently and it looks completely inferior in pretty much every way. 

I think the Dead Space Remake looks better in some ways.  It's not got the same kind of realistic look at this game, but there's some really good detail there.

But yea, overall, this game looks better.  Dead Space is still the better game though.

68 hours of Fallout 76. I bought the game like a week ago. Kill me now.

It's those fucking daily/weekly challenges. I keep coming in everyday to get my rewards, they turned Fallout into a gacha game. Fml. 

Also, I understand why the game is so cheap. If you're not subscribed as a Fallout 1st member you are a dirty peasant, with limited storage capacity at your base, which is really starting to kill my fun. 

Plus playing the online events with huge group of players is just fucking stupid. Level 800+ killing bosses in 5 seconds. Wow, so much fun. 

It's fun with a small group of players questing in the open world though. But the rest of the online activities and online events are dumb because it's so poorly balanced. 

• Haha 1
  • Ben 1

Couple hours into Scorn now. 
I remembered I had initially stopped playing because of that first puzzle and having no idea what im actually meant to do but I just looked it up and since then the game has been pretty great. Some of the visuals and gore is insane lol Combat truly is as bad as I heard but it's easily avoidable but outside of that it's a really cool setting for a puzzle game. Enjoying it so far. 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Couple hours into Scorn now. 
I remembered I had initially stopped playing because of that first puzzle and having no idea what im actually meant to do but I just looked it up and since then the game has been pretty great. Some of the visuals and gore is insane lol Combat truly is as bad as I heard but it's easily avoidable but outside of that it's a really cool setting for a puzzle game. Enjoying it so far. 

the game is the most refreshing surprise of 2022 imo. i'll definitely never forget the experience.

Im really on the verge of calling it quits on The Callisto Protocol. No matter what I try I just can't grasp this combat system. I've already died more times in the first few hours than in most of the games i've played this year. And whats most frustrating is that I don't feel like im learning anything from those deaths, when I get through an encounter I died several times on it feels like I only did it through pure luck. 

I like parts of this game but I find it 0 fun to play.

Just now, Twinblade said:

Im really on the verge of calling it quits on The Callisto Protocol. No matter what I try I just can't grasp this combat system. I've already died more times in the first few hours than in most of the games i've played this year. And whats most frustrating is that I don't feel like im learning anything from those deaths, when I get through an encounter I died several times on it feels like I only did it through pure luck. 

I like parts of this game but I find it 0 fun to play.

:geese: 

58 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

:yeshrug:

I was expecting you to get a bit further than where you probably are...  There's an enemy later on which kills you in one hit lol.. at least on the standard difficulty setting.  Depending on how you play, you could either have lots of ammo or little ammo.. and that makes the fight extreme BS lol..  I was expecting you to end it there haha.

8 hours ago, Remij said:

I was expecting you to get a bit further than where you probably are...  There's an enemy later on which kills you in one hit lol.. at least on the standard difficulty setting.  Depending on how you play, you could either have lots of ammo or little ammo.. and that makes the fight extreme BS lol..  I was expecting you to end it there haha.

:D Im not even surprised they would have a badly designed one hit kill enemy in this shit. This game is a hot mess. Im starting to think GS was on point with their 5/10 review.

Finished Scorn. What an experience lol One of the most unique settings and crazy gory moments I've had in gaming. Combat however is downright trash and later in the game it becomes a little less avoidable which is annoying, however it's puzzle design in this living world is super cool. Very much enjoyed the ride. 8/10

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Scorn. What an experience lol One of the most unique settings and crazy gory moments I've had in gaming. Combat however is downright trash and later in the game it becomes a little less avoidable which is annoying, however it's puzzle design in this living world is super cool. Very much enjoyed the ride. 8/10

yeah, the old school puzzle design and twisted environments (and some fucked up parts) easily put it on my top 10 list of 2022.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JonbX said:

I havent tried scorn ill have to play it at some point

Just look up how to clear the first puzzle/area if you get stuck. Game starts and tells you nothing and the worst puzzle of the whole game is the first one. Horrible game design but once you get past it the game gets significantly better.