DURANGO Devkit Features a "Monster" 16 Core IBM Power PC CPU

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

16 core 64 thread cpu with 4 GPUS and 12g of ram

Knowing consoles specs WELL ahead of when they are "officially" announced doesn't require believing everything you read on the net. It involves knowing what is credible and what isn't. I can tell the difference. You obviously can't.

They are rumours, you can't verify the validity of them.

brah, even if he isn't trolling, you wont reach him

Whipitgook is a moron.

16 core 64 thread cpu with 4 GPUS and 12g of ram

you can also communicate with the international space station :glad:

goddamn :omg:

WhiffenPoo still ignores the part where the PS4 is supposed to be more powerful. :tom:

he supports the rumors that appeal to him but deny the ones that don't even though it's from the very same fucking source :tom:

"bu bu..they expect it to but, but but but but but but but but but but im gay so, lol!"

16 core setup would be way to expensive. MS would be selling 720 at a huge loss. I can only imagine how much that cpu would cost even with mass manufacturing discount.

So why not share exactly how expensive it will be for MS?

MS is probably not even considering this.

16 core setup would be way to expensive. MS would be selling 720 at a huge loss. I can only imagine how much that cpu would cost even with mass manufacturing discount.

They obviously are.

And "Oban" is most likely this, or based on it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_A2

They obviously are.

And "Oban" is most likely this, or based on it....

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/PowerPC_A2

There is already a CPU with 16 cores (18 to be exact) based on the PowerPC_A2 and it's installed in a supercompter called Blue Gene Q

The third supercomputer design in the Blue Gene series, Blue Gene/Q aims to reach 20 Petaflops in the 2012 time frame. It continues to expand and enhance the Blue Gene/L and /P architectures.

The Blue Gene/Q Compute chip is an 18 core chip. The 64-bit PowerPC A2 processor cores are 4-way simultaneously multithreaded, and run at 1.6 GHz. Each processor core has a quad SIMD double precision floating point unit. The processor cores are linked by a crossbar switch to a 32 MB eDRAM L2 cache, operating at half core speed. The L2 cache is multi-versioned, supporting transactional memoryand speculative execution, and has hardware support for atomic operations.[28] L2 cache misses are handled by two built-in DDR3 memory controllers running at 1.33 GHz. The chip also integrates logic for chip-to-chip communications in a 5D torus configuration, with 2GB/s chip-to-chip links. 16 Processor cores are used for computing, and a 17th core for operating system assist functions such as interrupts, asynchronous I/O, MPI pacing and RAS. The 18th core is used as a spare in case one of the other cores is permanently damaged, like in manufacturing, but is normally shut down. The Blue Gene/Q chip is manufactured on IBM's copper SOI process at 45 nm, and will deliver 205 GFLOPS at 1.6 GHz and draw 55 watts. It is 19×19 mm large (359.5 mm²) and comprises 1.47 billion transistors. The chip is mounted on a compute card along with 16 GB DDR3 DRAM (i.e., 1 GB for each user processor core).

MS using a 16 core cpu is not going to happen. We can close the book on this one. MS using AMD's 8 core processor is more believable.

Edited by puertorock_papi