DF HDR Analysis : RDR2 has Fake HDR

$300 million budget.

Based on the video output of Xbox One X, the output is clearly derived from the SDR image and is not actually rendered with any kind of high dynamic range. Yes, we can hit a max 500 nits, but this is with the HDR calibration ramped up to the max, artificially boosting peak brightness from what is likely a 100 nit source image. The game's recommended 100 setting for LCD screens would see all of our comparison shots on this page present in a completely monochrome manner, signifying an image that is, effectively, an SDR image.

This is not the first game to present us with what you might call 'fake' HDR - earlier this year the Xbox One port of Nier Automata also pulled a similar trick, effectively transplanting the standard dynamic range image into an 'HDR container'. Once active, your screen registers an HDR output from the console, but it just contains the SDR image within it. All of our tests suggests the same thing is happening in Red Dead 2 on both Xbox and PlayStation systems.

Full analysis on DF.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-whats-up-with-red-dead-redemption-2s-hdr

That may be the case but whatever HDR function they have in the game still appears superior to the SDR leaning. Everything in SDR looks blown out, over saturated, incorrect contrast values etc. The HDR function naturalizes the lighting and contrast values which eliminates crushed blacks and over-exaggerated colors/whites. 

• Sad 1
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Agreed, people are saying it looks washed out but for me it actually looks more natural, SDR looks blown out.

I'm one of the few that sometimes actually prefers the washed out look. Especially for more realistic looking games (not cartoony, colourful ones). 

2 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

After Nier too, it's obvious that Xbox is holding back HDR.

:hest: what kind of dumb shit is this 

Two games you want to talk about Xbox holding things back when both games render at 100% higher resolution with better and more stable performance. :mj:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
12 minutes ago, S#$@%^i said:

lol ps4.. what a shit console. 

You're kidding, right?  PS4 just had God of War, Detroit, and Spider-man, this year.... coming off of Horizon Zero Dawn last year... and Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU2 next year... with Death Stranding sometime in 2020.  It far and away has more better looking titles than any other platform.

As good as Gears 5, is going to look, and Halo Infinite... nothing is going to fuck with The Last of Us 2.  It's on another level.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

You're kidding, right?  PS4 just had God of War, Detroit, and Spider-man, this year.... coming off of Horizon Zero Dawn last year... and Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU2 next year... with Death Stranding sometime in 2020.  It far and away has more better looking titles than any other platform.

As good as Gears 5, is going to look, and Halo Infinite... nothing is going to fuck with The Last of Us 2.  It's on another level.

Yeah but what will be more fun to play? Better is very relative, games are compartmentalized.

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah but what will be more fun to play? Better is very relative, games are compartmentalized.

I'm referring to gfx specifically.  His response was in response to a post about gfx.  I don't think it's fair to call the PS4 a shit console in any regard.  Not a single one.  Because regardless of it not hitting 4K, it's unquestionably got many (most) of the best looking titles this generation.  Most people would agree with that.

That's not to say MS doesn't have some that hit close.  As I said, I think Gears 5 will be one of the best looking games when it releases.. but I just can't see anything other than MAYBE Halo Infinite, and Star Citizen: Squadron 42 coming close to it.  MS' new studio The Initiative wont have anything ready by the end of the gen I suspect... but I'm sure their entire purpose is to make games in the vein of Sony first party, with ridiculous production values.  But that's next gen.   Ninja Theory could definitely make a gorgeous game... so we'll have to see what they can come up with, with a bigger budget.