There's quite a few reports of RTX 2080 Ti cards dying on people

46 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

These cards are legit amazing though.  It's crazy how fast they are.  There's worse ways to waste money. :shrug: 

This shit happens with every consumer electronics launch... especially the bleeding edge.

For the price they aren't worth it compared to 1070 and 1080

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THHBO!

RRoDtre  

Refundmiji PC TRASH  

10 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

For the price they aren't worth it compared to 1070 and 1080

Eh.. 1080's are $500+ on Amazon and these cards are 2x as fast and retail for $1000+ :shrug: 

Obviously everybody has a limit on what they think is an acceptable price to pay.  I get how some people wouldn't want to spend over $500.

Just now, Remij_ said:

Eh.. 1080's are $500+ on Amazon and these cards are 2x as fast and retail for $1000+ :shrug: 

Every media outlet that reviewed these RTX cards are mad disappointed. They simply aren't worth it. The 2070 especially is JUNK.  Sure the 1080ti is better but its a fucking not worth the money over a 1080. You don't need more than a 1080 for this gen.

Just now, Jon2B said:

Every media outlet that reviewed these RTX cards are mad disappointed. They simply aren't worth it. The 2070 especially is JUNK.  Sure the 1080ti is better but its a fucking not worth the money over a 1080. You don't need more than a 1080 for this gen.

Fair enough.

Just now, Remij_ said:

Fair enough.

I see how this gets addicting tho. Like I can play FH4 at high/ultra with settings that eat VRAM at medium at 60fps. I mean, that's good enough, but I feel like I should have more. 

That's why I was considering a 1070. I think my PSU can handle up to a 1080 / or 2070. I don't need it. But I kinda want it :reg:

12 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

I see how this gets addicting tho. Like I can play FH4 at high/ultra with settings that eat VRAM at medium at 60fps. I mean, that's good enough, but I feel like I should have more. 

That's why I was considering a 1070. I think my PSU can handle up to a 1080 / or 2070. I don't need it. But I kinda want it :reg:

To be fair, I told you that would be an issue before, or right after you bought it.  The 1070 would have been better.

And yea, it is addicting in a way.  I like having a nice PC with high end parts.  You don't need to spend thousands like I do, but you'd be surprised at just how cost effective PC gaming can be if you plan your upgrades right.  If you do.. you're not really spending much more than $500-600 at any given time.   Your CPU will last you 10 fucking years man.  You're good on that for a while.  You might have to pick up a couple sticks of RAM in the future, but with a 1070/1080, you're set for well into next gen.  And being honest... max settings are the biggest fucking waste of resources possible.  Between Ultra and High, in many games it's impossible to tell the difference... and you can gain 20fps by doing so.

All these "maxed out" benchmarks are fine for comparing cards against cards... but when comparing a worthy alternative to a console.. lowering the settings to console quality to play at much higher framerates is always desirable.

And for me, the biggest draw of PC gaming is that I can just have everything on one system... not having to decide between which versions to buy for which console and which friends will play on x console with me and this and that.  Everything is just there.  I used to be a hardcore cow as you know... but last gen consoles lost their magic with me.

I think my PC was a good deal for 850. I can buy a 1070 and sell my 1060 for a hundo or so, IF I feel I need it. I only have one game on PC that taxes my GPU. Im playing PS3 quality fighting games for the most part LOL

I think a 1080 will keep up with next gen if I stick with 1080 which I probably will because I don't see myself buying another 4k HDR tv soon.

When gamepass comes to PC I may consider a 1070 or a 1080 if the prices become reasonable

3 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

I think my PC was a good deal for 850. I can buy a 1070 and sell my 1060 for a hundo or so, IF I feel I need it. I only have one game on PC that taxes my GPU. Im playing PS3 quality fighting games for the most part LOL

I think a 1080 will keep up with next gen if I stick with 1080 which I probably will because I don't see myself buying another 4k HDR tv soon.

When gamepass comes to PC I may consider a 1070 or a 1080 if the prices become reasonable

Yea.  Just keep an eye out for the 10 series cards that people are selling.  You should be able to find a really good deal if you're a bit patient.  Selling your other card will help too.

That's what I've done.  I buy high end parts, but when I sell them, they still have high resell value.  I sell my previous cards and since they are high end cards, they hold their value well, and people are eager to buy them when they know people will be selling theirs to get the newest thing.  I sold my 1080 Ti for $750!  That's only $300 less than what I paid for it over a year and a half ago.  My 2080 Ti effectively cost me half of the asking price.

Of course it still a stupid amount of money to spend on a GPU... Nvidia is pushing a bit too far these days.. but fuck it.  I have the money and it's my hobby.. it gets used every single day and performs amazingly.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

If these cost this much, what will the next round of cards cost?

Who knows, I imagine yields are horrible with a die that size, but what do I know. I'll be waiting to see what Navi for PC is all about.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

If these cost this much, what will the next round of cards cost?

Well, presumably AMD will have something to compete with them on the high end and they'll bring costs down from here.  If they are competitive, I'd say $999 becomes $749, and $699 becomes $599.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

@DynamiteCop! I'd just wait for Navi, but if you really need a shiny new card then a Vega 64 @ $400 is pretty good.

I'm only looking for 60 FPS at 1440p, it seems to do that handily so I'm having issue justifying anything beyond that. I also have a FreeSync monitor so I don't want any stinky Nvidia products.