RDR2 Video-games Dunkey

3 hours ago, -GD- said:

damn, is that really true about the second half? 

Some spoiler stuff in this but if you want some key information it's worth reading. 

I don't agree with his take on the second half, what he's saying is accurate in terms of what begins to happen but I don't think his interpretation is by any stretch of the imagination. He's acting like Rockstar began to falter and that's anything but the truth. From Chapter V on everything is coming undone, all your plans are failing and falling apart, Dutch has lost the plot with delusions of grandeur and is making questionable decisions about what needs to be done, there's major trust and loyalty issues, Arthur begins to question everything, he begins to question himself, he falls extremely ill. It's intentionally supposed to turn into a shit show because that's exactly what is going on around them, the world is crumbling and crushing them.  It all plays into the arc of everything that's preceded you in the game. It all fits.

This isn't supposed to be some happy go lucky western, it may seem that way on the surface and in the earlier instances but it's not intended to stay this way. The game goes to dark places, and it turns on you.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Some spoiler stuff in this but if you want some key information it's worth reading. 

Hide contents

I don't agree with his take on the second half, what he's saying is accurate in terms of what begins to happen but I don't think his interpretation is by any stretch of the imagination. He's acting like Rockstar began to falter and that's anything but the truth. From Chapter V on everything is coming undone, all your plans are failing and falling apart, Dutch has lost the plot with delusions of grandeur and is making questionable decisions about what needs to be done, there's major trust and loyalty issues, Arthur begins to question everything, he begins to question himself, he falls extremely ill. It's intentionally supposed to turn into a shit show because that's exactly what is going on around them, the world is crumbling and crushing them.  It all plays into the arc of everything that's preceded you in the game. It all fits.

This isn't supposed to be some happy go lucky western, it may seem that way on the surface and in the earlier instances but it's not intended to stay this way. The game goes to dark places, and it turns on you.

nice! i'm definitely going to get it. i just don't know when i'll get around to it. 

21 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Reveal hidden contents

The problem is what events are used to drive that change in Dutch and Arthur and after about 30 or more hours to get to that point to have the events of Chapter 5 (which are hilariously bad) be the catalyst for what you have waited hours upon hours to see happen is extremely bad. 

17 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

The problem is what events are used to drive that change in Dutch and Arthur and after about 30 or more hours to get to that point to have the events of Chapter 5 (which are hilariously bad) be the catalyst for what you have waited hours upon hours to see happen is extremely bad. 

See I still don't agree with that, this reminds me of The Library in Halo: Combat Evolved, one of the most vehemently hated levels in the Halo franchise. But why? Because it's monotonous? Because it's a chore? Because it's difficult? It's not a poorly designed map, and it serves a very important purpose to propelling the game forward. People seem to be so wrapped up in this idea that everything has to be great, that nothing can be perceptually negative in a game, that it must be enthralling from beginning to end or play out in a certain way. That's delusional. Does any aspect of life share this quality whether literal or figuratively? Anything? Absolutely not, nothing does. Things go to shit for dumb reasons, problems arise, things that don't make sense take place, monotony happens in the surrounding of great things.

Why is a game held to a higher standard than any aspect of anything else in the world? Because it's an entertainment product? That's a shallow excuse. This game in particular is aiming to target levels of realism in its devices, and as such elements of the story are going to take turns that bear resemblance to reality as well. You're not even articulating a problem here, you're hinging on vagaries because you don't like what's taking place, I don't actually see any real criticism here. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:
  Hide contents

See I still don't agree with that, this reminds me of The Library in Halo: Combat Evolved, one of the most vehemently hated levels in the Halo franchise. But why? Because it's monotonous? Because it's a chore? Because it's difficult? It's not a poorly designed map, and it serves a very important purpose to propelling the game forward. People seem to be so wrapped up in this idea that everything has to be great, that nothing can be perceptually negative in a game, that it must be enthralling from beginning to end or play out in a certain way. That's delusional. Does any aspect of life share this quality whether literal or figuratively? Anything? Absolutely not, nothing does. Things go to shit for dumb reasons, problems arise, things that don't make sense take place, monotony happens in the surrounding of great things.

Why is a game held to a higher standard than any aspect of anything else in the world? Because it's an entertainment product? That's a shallow excuse. This game in particular is aiming to target levels of realism in its devices, and as such elements of the story are going to take turns that bear resemblance to reality as well. You're not even articulating a problem here, you're hinging on vagaries because you don't like what's taking place, I don't actually see any real criticism here. 

Wtf did you just write. Your own post is highlighting my problems with the story. Go read my post in the RDR2 OT, my exact problems are because this game is aiming for realism and then uses highly unrealistic events to move the story. Where have I complained about something being a chore of monotonous in it's story? Do you even read? My complaint is the events of Chapter 5 are so ludicrous and totally opposite of the realistic world that RDR2 has built before. There is a scene later in the game when you are riding with Marsten (after freeing him from prison) and explaining everything that happened since yous got separated where it literally sounds like a giant comedy. 'Shit went down, we escaped on a boat, there was a storm, the boat went under, we landed on a remote island in the middle of a civil war, we fought with the rebels, we sunk an enemy ship and then sailed back and oh all our money is at the bottom of the sea now'. Wow, super realistic.

Just now, madmaltese said:

Hide contents

Wtf did you just write. Your own post is highlighting my problems with the story. Go read my post in the RDR2 OT, my exact problems are because this game is aiming for realism and then uses highly unrealistic events to move the story. Where have I complained about something being a chore of monotonous in it's story? Do you even read? My complaint is the events of Chapter 5 are so ludicrous and totally opposite of the realistic world that RDR2 has built before. There is a scene later in the game when you are riding with Marsten (after freeing him from prison) and explaining everything that happened since yous got separated where it literally sounds like a giant comedy. 'Shit went down, we escaped on a boat, there was a storm, the boat went under, we landed on a remote island in the middle of a civil war, we fought with the rebels, we sunk an enemy ship and then sailed back and oh all our money is at the bottom of the sea now'. Wow, super realistic.

Countries in the Caribbean were constantly waging civil wars during formation around this time and they were sailing for Cuba, they crashed during a storm along the way and were forced into the middle of this confrontation. What's actually unrealistic about that? Sure the odds are low, but it's not unrealistic.

11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Reveal hidden contents

Countries in the Caribbean were constantly waging civil wars during formation around this time and they were sailing for Cuba, they crashed during a storm along the way and were forced into the middle of this confrontation. What's actually unrealistic about that? Sure the odds are low, but it's not unrealistic.

Because stories are written. Why is that ridiculous decision being made as the major catalyst in this central plot. Rockstar meticulously created this world, had major events happen to this world in Chapters 1-4, all of which could've been used as the final straw for Arthur imo, including the death of Sean, Lenny, Hosea, etc yet they decide to make the turning point be events away from the huge open living world they built, in the only entirely linear and scripted portion of the game, with characters we don't give a shit about and events that have such a ridiculous chance of ever happening (just so happens that the ship they escape on happens to crash in a random storm and they all miraculously make it ashore on the same island..... please). The moment Arthur decides to fully start doubting and back talking to Dutch is when Dutch kills the random old lady on that island.  Not any of the events of chapter 1-4 that resulted in entire towns being massacred, friends killed, kids kidnapped or anything, but a random lady on a random island. It is pure bad writing for a story that is supposed to be so personal.

I don't know why you're so defensive about this game. It has very obvious and glaring faults, faults that many ppl might be fine with since it's open world is so magnificent, but faults that definitely exist.