Cd Project cancels UWP Windows Store version of GWENT (PC store war has begun)

https://playgwent.com/en/news/24454/important-update-regarding-the-uwp-pc-version-of-gwent

So between Epic securing “exclusives” for their store, paying developers to stop them from releasing games on other stores(Ashen), and now this. Is it safe to say we are witnessing the start of the PC games store war? I’ll bet MS is also preparing for this with them buying up studios aggressively.

16 minutes ago, kaz said:

but what would the war be about? it makes no sense. :tom: 

It’s a digital distribution platform war. Steam has a monopoly for far too long taking 30% royalties for evey game sold on their platform. More and more major publishers are choosing to release their games on their own stores. And some like Epic Games are courting small and medium size developers to secure content for their store.

In this case, CDPR is doing it for GOG.COM, their digital distribution platform. And probably cos there aren’t much of a userbase on UWP anyway.

Edited by Pureis
6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Another nail in Delusiomijj's PC aspirations for Xbox. Stream app for PC incoming. 

:hest:

No it wouldn't. It wouldn't take much for them to make PC versions of games when the Console is already running with a similar OS.

13 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Another nail in Delusiomijj's PC aspirations for Xbox. Stream app for PC incoming. 

:hest:

My PC aspirations?  Dude... this is the actually REALITY right in this moment. :cosby2: 

How many times does Phil have to double and triple down on PC for you to understand?  I mean, we're the ones getting EXCLUSIVE MS games and you aren't at this point.  :rofl: That's the fucking reality :D   The PC is the future of their game development, and the future of their streaming development.  It's all going to be coming from the PC in the future.  Xbox consoles are DONE as the focal point. :juggle:  

And there's no making the Windows Store more dead than it is now... like.. wtf...  It can ONLY get better.. regardless of how much or little...  20 more PC clients aren't going to change MS' reality right now...  So what Epic and Steam and the others do is irrelevant.  The fact is that... yes... MS is buying studios left and right to pump out their own exclusives for their own store.  

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No it wouldn't. It wouldn't take much for them to make PC versions of games when the Console is already running with a similar OS.

The entire work that they've done was specifically meant to be able to target Win10 PC and Xbox (their platforms specifically) with a singular development environment using the same APIs and debugging tools.  Anything else would be a focus for the streaming tech.  Of course streaming will be an option for Windows 10 users as well, for those with underpowered hardware.  That's how they expand their market reach considerably.

I don't know how DelusionalCop can't seem to understand the end game is MS getting out of developing their own costly hardware which hardly makes them any money and has huge risk involved.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

It's still a decent amount of additional work, also this ties into the GamePass thing. If there's a DD war happening on PC then securing games for that doesn't stand a chance, it really didn't to begin with.

I already know what Microsoft is going to do, they're going to phase out code from everything except their Xbox console. The console will be the only device with native operation, everything else will be relegated to streaming including the PC. 

They'll update their data centers with new Xbox hardware to replace the Xbox One and that will be the rolling model. PC code is a dead end for them, it's too late in the game.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's still a decent amount of additional work, also this ties into the GamePass thing. If there's a DD war happening on PC then securing games for that doesn't stand a chance, it really didn't to begin with.

I already know what Microsoft is going to do, they're going to phase out code from everything except their Xbox console. The console will be the only device with native operation, everything else will be relegated to streaming including the PC. 

They'll update their data centers with new Xbox hardware to replace the Xbox One and that will be the rolling model. PC code is a dead end for them, it's too late in the game.

:kaz: 

OMFG :D :D:D 

Phil just said at X0 that they are completely focusing on improving the store and the PC experience to make it more native to that platform...

44408012890_83d589c8f8_o.gif

I don't think there's an issue with bringing the games over to PC from Xbox and vice versa... it's in the fashion in which the the licenses are acquired, software is packaged and delivered. Microsoft's games come through the Windows Store which has never caught on as a reputable way of downloading and playing games. They're essentially forcing people to use the store in order to play said games. UWP is a flop and no one cares about it, not developers, not publishers not anyone except for Microsoft, for obvious reasons. If there is a store war Microsoft is already behind and late to the game per usual. Their aspirations of sprucing up the Windows Store to be better integrated with the Xbox App isn't going to happen over night.

Edited by lynux3
16 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Its still worth it to Microsoft because there will be ENOUGH PC gamers who will drop the $10 a month.

You do understand that PC gamers SUBSCRIBE to the Humble Monthly Bundle for $12 a month. They'd do that for some months out of the year to mess with Halo, Crackdown, and Forza. And they are working on an Age of Empires game, which is very PC-centric.

As it stands..........there are about 35 million Xbox Ones...........and there's a good chance there is NOT REALLY 35 million users, alot of those are suckers like you lemmings who bought an XBox One/XBO S and then repeat buyers for an XBX.

Microsoft couldn't even say that Gamepass had surpassed OVER 10 million, they specifically said "multiple millions." So I am going to take that to mean less than 10 million subscribers.

I'm pretty sure they could match that figure from the PC userbase.

Edited by jehurey
3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I don't think there's an issue with bringing the games over to PC from Xbox and vice versa... it's in the fashion in which the the licenses are acquired, software is packaged and delivered. Microsoft's games come through the Windows Store which has never caught on as a reputable way of downloading and playing games. They're essentially forcing people to use the store in order to play said games. UWP is a flop and no one cares about it, not developers, not publishers not anyone except for Microsoft, for obvious reasons. If there is a store war Microsoft is already behind and late to the game per usual. Their aspirations of sprucing up the Windows Store to be better integrated with the Xbox App isn't going to happen over night.

They're working on it.

I think that the more people get used to using different clients for different games, the more open they'll become to others... especially when exclusive content is involved.

Let's be real here though... MS is building up quite a collection of studios.   Let's ignore quality at the moment.. for the sake of the argument.  If these studios start putting out good content and it's exclusive to the MS store... and Phil gets the store improved to the point where it's not a train wreck.. I think that people would warm up to it.  If Halo Infinite turns out awesome and there's no major problems, you could see a decent amount of people warm up to the store. 

But even Phil said... they have lots of work to do on Win 10 Store, and they are committed to it.

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They're working on it.

I think that the more people get used to using different clients for different games, the more open they'll become to others... especially when exclusive content is involved.

Let's be real here though... MS is building up quite a collection of studios.   Let's ignore quality at the moment.. for the sake of the argument.  If these studios start putting out good content and it's exclusive to the MS store... and Phil gets the store improved to the point where it's not a train wreck.. I think that people would warm up to it.  If Halo Infinite turns out awesome and there's no major problems, you could see a decent amount of people warm up to the store. 

But even Phil said... they have lots of work to do on Win 10 Store, and they are committed to it.

I think Microsoft has to be committed to it if they want more revenue streaming through Windows 10. Windows 10 is not a money maker like it used to be and putting their games on the store and having other publishers/developers putting up their games means more money to be made outside of the Xbox Marketplace.

The success of the store depends entirely on Microsoft Studios ability to create and push out quality content and right now buying up a bunch of mediocre to decent studios is a start... lets see if Microsoft can actually incubate and mature these people into AAA studios like we see from their competitors. This shit is literally going to take years and they're already behind. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Edited by lynux3
1 hour ago, Pureis said:

It’s a digital distribution platform war. Steam has a monopoly for far too long taking 30% royalties for evey game sold on their platform. More and more major publishers are choosing to release their games on their own stores. And some like Epic Games are courting small and medium size developers to secure content for their store.

In this case, CDPR is doing it for GOG.COM, their digital distribution platform. And probably cos there aren’t much of a userbase on UWP anyway.

What I meant is why on earth should I care? :tom: